7 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

http://www.boxingsce...december--81626

First off, this isn't a bad scrap...just crossing my fingers that it doesn't land on PPV. Guys sleep on Clottey, mainly because they piggy back off of what others said about the Pacquiao fight. Granted, it was a horrible fight, but Clottely was a tough dude before that fight, and he's still a threat.

Honestly, who has beaten him convincingly over the years? I'll wait. FYI, before some of yall come crashing in here saying that he's been missing since the Pac fight, stop it...he fought a couple of times after that, and just stopped Mundine this past April.

I say it's a good scrap, but I pray that it's not PPV...my pockets just can't take it anymore. laugh.gif

Another interesting twist is, it appears as though HBO is interested in securing the fight. Hmmm....

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Super Flyweight

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

I'll watch it. Clottey is a good fighter. He gets a lot of crap for the Manny fight. Think he may have gotten a little extra $$$ to make Manny look good. Can't prove anything, just looked a little suspicious to me. He talked a good game, danced on his way to the ring and then put up his guard in the ring to block Manny's punches all night. Had he let his hands go a little more than a few times a round, he probably could have KO'ed Manny. Gotta go back and watch that fight again, cause i'm pretty sure he busted up Manny's face in that fight.

If he comes to fight against Canelo, I can see him making it very difficult for Canelo. May even win. I like Canelo and a win over Clottey is a very decent name to have on his resume. Definitely will watch, but not paying for it on PPV.

EDIT: My bad. Manny face not busted up. Accidental head butt late, but no real damage.

Edited by KSUN247, 31 August 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#3 Plah

Plah

Featherweight

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

I can see a very motivated Clottey getting robbed in this one. lol

#4 sduck

sduck

Lightweight

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (KSUN247 @ Aug 31 2014, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll watch it. Clottey is a good fighter. He gets a lot of crap for the Manny fight. Think he may have gotten a little extra $$$ to make Manny look good. Can't prove anything, just looked a little suspicious to me. He talked a good game, danced on his way to the ring and then put up his guard in the ring to block Manny's punches all night. Had he let his hands go a little more than a few times a round, he probably could have KO'ed Manny. Gotta go back and watch that fight again, cause i'm pretty sure he busted up Manny's face in that fight.

If he comes to fight against Canelo, I can see him making it very difficult for Canelo. May even win. I like Canelo and a win over Clottey is a very decent name to have on his resume. Definitely will watch, but not paying for it on PPV.

EDIT: My bad. Manny face not busted up. Accidental head butt late, but no real damage.

I agree with this. Clottey obviously was getting paid that night. He didn't want to fight. I mean it's obvious, he disappeared for years afterwards. This fight would be good, my first thought I didn't like it, but Clottey IS good and it'd possibly be Canelo's best test so far.

#5 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (Plah @ Aug 31 2014, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can see a very motivated Clottey getting robbed in this one. lol

Agreed,

Clottey won't win. If he accepts a bribe or some shit, he will look like shit. (Make Canelo look good.) If he fights his best and has not aged overnight, (likely as well,) he still won't win. (Canelo can't lose to somebody like "him.") The politics connected with Canelo as a fighter that can still be heavily marked to the Mexican-Latin American clientele won't allow that. Alvarez is going to be given rounds just for breathing. This is Rios-Abril II results, and that's even Clottey at his best. I don't like fights like this because "the writing's on the wall with the results" unless Clottey can score a TKO/KO, and that is not happening.

Jack

#6 Franchize

Franchize

Junior Middleweight

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

I like both fighters but I don't think this will be a good matchup. Not trying to sound cliche' but styles make fights and I don't this will make for an exciting event. Clottey is going to block most of Canelo's head shots but I don't think he'll throw enough to win (or not get robbed) on the judges scorecards. I think Canelo will win off of body punching and both fighters will be frustrated at the end result in the press conferences. I'd much rather see Clottey or Canelo vs Kirkland.

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

I like both fighters but I don't think this will be a good matchup. Not trying to sound cliche' but styles make fights and I don't this will make for an exciting event. Clottey is going to block most of Canelo's head shots but I don't think he'll throw enough to win (or not get robbed) on the judges scorecards. I think Canelo will win off of body punching and both fighters will be frustrated at the end result in the press conferences. I'd much rather see Clottey or Canelo vs Kirkland.

You're right, styles do make fights. I believe that Canelo is more hittable, than Manny was, against Clottey. As we've all seen in Canelo's past few fights, he WILL engage his opponent, even if he's "outskilled" before the first bell rings. 

Damn you though...you didn't have to bring up Clottey's ninja turtle shell defense! :lol:

#8 BigFightFan

BigFightFan

Lightweight

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Clottey will be a tougher fight for Canelo than Kirkland. Canelo is just a step above these guys, I want to see him in the ring against Cotto or a rematch with Lara.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users