• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dolimite

Dolimite

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

I am concerned with a few things that have been happening in boxing. First, fighters thinking that using your legs is considered running. When did boxing become rock em sock em? You hear so many fighters and trainers complaining how their opponents "run." If I am not mistaken isn't boxing hit and not get hit. Figueroa, Pac, Maidana, Kovalev, GGG, Garcia (Danny) and a slew of other fighters think that their opponents have to stay directly in front of them in order it to be a real "fight." The danger in this is, fans think that the only good boxing match is a brawl. One reason why I think Lara and Trout were given a L against Canelo is because people felt they "ran."

Another thing with boxing that is becoming obvious: Bullshit titles. Cats are looking at being interim champions or whatever bullshit belt that the organizations make up as being a legit champion. Like everything, money corrupts shit and makes it complicated and worse. See college football. I think like many stated on this board, there needs to be one belt per division.

Have any of you notice the that the younger boxers are more celebrities than fighters? Some fighters are  more famous what they do outside the ring than inside. I think it is a cool marketing ploy for people to tune into see you but at the same time over exposure can be a bad thing as well. There has to be a balance. I believe that promoters should do what Motown did for their singers, they made them take finishing courses. They taught them how to give interviews, dress and act in public. I think the same should be said for boxers. Some fighters have an automatic 'it' factor and others are as dry as California. The ones that already have it should be polished and groomed to perfect that 'it' factor. While the ones who are dry, should have someone to coach them to be more entertaining. Andre Ward and Broner are two great candidates for such a program.

Lastly, Boxing writers have got to be writers and not fucking nut huggers of other fighters. If your job is to write about the sport and point out BS, it should be consistent. There are a lot of fights that should not be happening but these so called boxing writers' pens are silent. I read on yahoo and the Bleacher Report that writers are applauding Manny P for taking on such a tough fighter. Lucas M. is getting credit with fighting Ortiz. Writers have to be the check and balance to boxing. They can't be paid writers or else we will have more Garcia and Salka fights. I hadn't been on the internet for a few, I did however see the back and forth with 50 and Mayweather on his ability to read. I have a BS degree from the House and an MBA from UCLA, I read pretty damn well, and I would give up both degrees to be financially secure. I am disappointed in 50, with Furgeson and all this other shit happening, this is how you decide to use your platform? And yet you are all up in that white chic's face, the one who called you a gorilla and you are cool with her? Either 50 and Mayweather had thing for each other or 50 is on some evil shit. Either way, it saddens me how in 2014, we can't uplift each other.

AZ my Bruins gave me a heart attack last Saturday!   

#2 klonopinz

klonopinz

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

danny used his legs in the mathysse fight and pacquiao used his legs in the rios fight, the de la hoya fight, and the marquez fights as well, actually trout walked canelo down the entire fight so idk what your talking about with trout, canelo was the one moving. lara on the other hand, he throws then moves, throws, then moves, i can see ho that is considered running,. but you have to understand something, when they say that they dont really believe that they are just making an excuse. marvin hagler even said that about the fight with ray leonard, only because he failed to win. Its just an excuse and they all know it. 

social meadia has changed the landscape of boxing and sports in general, so verything a guy does is broadcast to the world. naturally, these athletes are going to become popular for their out of ring antics as awell as their in ring. i dont like it either.

the belt thing is run by money and i dont see it gettign any better. the problem is sites like fighthype backing these titles up, everytime a guy ins an interim title, fighthype congratulates him on winning that firrst world title, when they should be telling the truth, thats its a paper title. anyone who wins a vacant title against a guy who is not the number one ranked contender at least is a fraud.  guys like haymon are corrupting the sport by making titles vacant through bullshit, and then gettign their unranked fighters a shot at an interim, instead of having him earn it.legit. its a sad thing, especially the whole hopkins situation, that really brought it to light. 

#3 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Danny used his legs in the Mathysse fight and Pacquiao used his legs in the Ros fight, the De la hoya fight, and the Marquez fights as well. Trout walked Canelo down the entire fight so idk what your talking about with Tout, Canelo was the one moving.Lara. On the other hand, he throws then moves, throws, then moves.  I can see how that is considered running,. but you have to understand something, when people say that "he ran", they really believe that.  In reality, they are just making an excuse. Marvin Hagler even said that about the fight with Ray Leonard, only because he failed to win. It's just an excuse and they all know it. Social media has changed the landscape of boxing and sports in general, so everything a guy does is broadcast to the world. Naturally, these athletes are going to become popular for both  their out of ring, and  in ring.antics. I don't like it either.

The belt thing is run by money and i don't see it getting any better .The problem is sites like Fighthype backing these titles up, every time a guy ins an interim title,Fighthype congratulates him on winning that first world title, when they should be telling the truth, that its a paper title. Anyone who wins a vacant title against a guy who is not the number one ranked contender at least is a fraud.  Guys like Haymon are corrupting the sport by making titles vacant through bullshit, and then getting their unranked fighters a shot at an interim belt instead of having him earn it.legit. its a sad thing, especially the whole Hopkins situation, that really brought it to light. 

(Admin Note-Slightly edited for spelling,  punctuation and easier readability.)

All good points,

I disagree however that the information about the titles being won or lost should not be reported.  The fighters work hard to be champions, and unless you are a legendary superstar where you don't need belts like in the past Louis, Ali, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, or Duran, or today with Mayweather, Pacquiao, or Hopkins, the main federations of the WBC, WBA, IBF, and WBO do give fighters championship recognition.  If you unify by having more than one alphabet world title, in most cases, that makes you a very good champion and this information should be respected and reported.

My problem is social media regardless of the site reporting on all other belts OUTSIDE of the big four.  For example:

1.) The WBA's "Interim" championship should not be reported by social media.

2.) Commemorative belts should not be reported to the press either (Such as the WBC "Diamond Belt") which has no rules or sanctioning fees with it

3.) If you are not a world champion of the big four, this should not be reported by any website or TV network.

I think this would help, and would be a realistic assessment of who the real world champions are in each weight class.

Jack

#4 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

In my view,

It's a matter of styles and an interpretation of them.  The current assessments of  boxing are dominated by social media and younger kids.  Younger kids want wars and Rocky movies in boxing and nothing else.  They don't understand and appreciate the finer points of the game.  They don't comprehend that boxing can also be an art-form of hit and don't be hit.  I think boxers with strong, articulate personalities can show these kids that an elusive boxing match can also be exciting.  An example of this would be if Chris Algieri gives Manny Pacquiao problems with his moving and jabbing style and gives a good account of himself, today's generation can see that its not all about Rocky movies and Arturo Gatti. This "slugging mentality" is what HBO commentary has tried to personify on the general less-informed boxing public over the last decade.

I think Algieri-Provodnikov was very entertaining.  Chris has the likable personality and good boxing skills to get the public on his side.  If he should beat Manny Pacquiao, these social media youngsters are going to be shocked!  I don't think he will, but if Chris doesn't crumble from Manny's punches and experience, OR comes back after being almost stopped, like against Ruslian in that disastrous first round, Chris is going to make a lot of new "believers." Showing how smart boxing can trouble a legend.  If Manny KO's this guy, social media will be excited.  The only bad element of this fight is that its PPV.

Jack

#5 KSUN247

KSUN247

Super Flyweight

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

Boxing isn't a dying sport. But what it has done is lost the luster of days past. Back in the day, people appreciated the fine art of boxing. Today, you have to partially blame the networks on the "rock'em, sock'em" style. The commentators want blood. You can hear in their voice and the way they cheerlead for whoever the house fighter is (i.e.Jim Lampley's "Bang-Bang-Bang" in one of Manny Pacquiao's fights).  They rarely appreciate guys who can showcase their skills (stick & move, throw combinations, counterpunch, use angles, show defense, have multiple game plans when opponent adjusts, even bending rules to their favor (Hopkins) etc.) Only really called running by folks who can't box, don't understand boxing or they get outclassed by a boxer. Occassionally, you do have runners, but most guys classified as runners are great boxers and aren't truly appreciated for their skills.

Baseball had a commercial out some years back when Mark McGuire was setting the homerun record. It stated "Chicks dig the long ball."  In boxing, we all love the knockout. But that's not the only thing we want to see.

There are a lot of titles, but I got mixed opinions on it. It's called prized fighting. Guys want to get paid. I want guys to get paid and be recognized. A "title" does that. But there are probably too many. Guys pay the sanctioning fees and can be recognized with a belt, if you beat someone (anyone). Boxing is a business, so the titles ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Too much money to be made. Heck, we could probably put our money together and create a "Fighthype World Champion" in a bunch of divisions and boxers will pay to be recognized as the champ. I can see it now, Jonathan "Snuffy" Jones beats Renaldo "Chico" Esparza as the new FWC Heavyweight Champ. You know Vlad ain't losing his belt anytime soon.  Create a new boxing organization and you too can be champion. :lol:

Social media plays a role also, because everyone has a voice now. Even the guys who are as quiet as a church mouse, talk and use social media. Too easy to record/post stuff and reach the masses. Easy access that guys didn't have in the past. Folks feel entitled to everything now. Times are changing. Guys gotta build their brand. Make a little noise in a video, it goes viral. Get into a twitter war and people are talking about you. Whether good or bad, you got some attention. The networks are looking for stars. Ratings matter and some guys will draw, while others are as boring as watching paint dry.

Writers gotta eat too.  Quality of writing has diminished. Guys gotta get their stories out. Editors don't pay much attention, as long as you meet your deadline to put out an article. Everyone and their momma has a blog now. Writers write stories and post them online. They need the clicks. Clicks pay the bills. Besides, folks don't want to write negative stories too much, because they don't want to lose that access to a certain fighter. Write the truth and we'll read.

#6 klonopinz

klonopinz

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

well peter quillin just vacated his title, what does that tell you about al haymon and this bullshit. he is probably gonna get jacobs trhe title shot against korobov now, and all for what, so quillin doesnt have to fight his mandatory? so he can pursue golovkin or cotto? i mean what is the point unless you have something legit on the horizon in writing? him having a belt made him a target, now hes basically a nobody in the division. i dont understand this move. 

#7 klonopinz

klonopinz

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

so al haymon promotes quillin jacobs and charlo. charlo is ranked like 3-4 in the wbo rankings, and now korobov is the number 1 contender. andy lee is up there top 5 too. so haymon tells quillin to vacate so he can get charlo or jacobs in their, and at the same time get quilllin a fight with cotto or whoever. al haymon is greedy as shit. what a shrewd man.

#8 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

well peter quillin just vacated his title, what does that tell you about al haymon and this bullshit. he is probably gonna get jacobs trhe title shot against korobov now, and all for what, so quillin doesnt have to fight his mandatory? so he can pursue golovkin or cotto? i mean what is the point unless you have something legit on the horizon in writing? him having a belt made him a target, now hes basically a nobody in the division. i dont understand this move. 

If Peter Quillin was a bigger name and had really kicked ass or dominated, his vacating the WBO Middleweight Title might be more understandable.  But he's not good enough yet to do that.  My boxing friend actually predicted that Quillin would probably vacate and go after Jacobs next.  Jacobs has the motivational story as a cancer survivor and is probably more marketable than Korobov.

http://www.fightnews...ht-title-259495

Credit: Fightnews.com

Jack

#9 klonopinz

klonopinz

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

so does this really stem from haymon and jayz? anybody know anything about this?

#10 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

so does this really stem from haymon and jayz? anybody know anything about this?

Not sure,

But Al Haymon promotes both Peter Quillin and Danny Jacobs.  It would be a good fight, but neither is a big name.  I mean Jacobs WBA strap means about as much as Quillin's former WBO strap.  The REAL champ is Triple G.  Nothing else matters as far as titles are concerned.  But these lesser-belt wins could be eliminations to get to Triple G.

Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users