Photo

Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri-Preview and Poll!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Pacquiao vs. Algieri-Poll (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Wins?

1. Pacquiao by Dec (Close) (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Pacquiao by Dec (Wide) (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Pacquiao by KO/TKO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Algieri by Dec (Close) (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. Algieri by Dec (Wide) (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Algieri by KO/TKO (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

8. DQ (Indicate Loser in Response) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#1 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

I had Pacquiao winning this at first, but after some careful observations, I'm now pretty confident that Algieri is going to beat Pacquiao pretty solidly. Algieri is athletic, has solid defense, sticks, moves, good jab, decent hand speed, good stamina, pinpoint accuracy, an overall solid boxer, with good combination set ups, knowing how to cut-off the ring, and can take a good punch. Pacquiao's history has proven his limitations and in no way can he deal with a boxer like Algieri. I believe it'll be a pretty big upset for many Pac fans.

What do you guys think?

#2 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

while all true, he was still hit by a much slower Prod... Maybe thats because his eye was blocked, but he was still hit. His defence is not solid. While I can see how you could think Algieri could beat Pac

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

I don't know if you guys missed the headline, but Bob already made it clear that there's an immediate rematch clause for this fight. Me thinks some fuckery is gonna take place. Maybe Manny will look nearly awesome, but "didn't do enough to take the belt away from the champ", OR...the champ can look great, and end up on the ugly side of things. 

All of this talk from Bob about the "megafight", and blah blah blah, gives me this nagging suspicion that viewers and buyers will be stuck with the "WTF just happened?" face, after the fight is over. I also believe that this one will go the full 12. 

#4 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's conceivable that Algieri could win. The guy has some skills, I want to see what Roach comes up with to get Pacquiao past that jab of Algieri's. I think that's going to be key, how does he deal with the jab from a taller, rangier fighter? His defense is pretty good too and he is some what of an accurate fighter which could be trouble to a guy in Pacquiao whose defense is offense. I still see Pacquiao winning though. I think his in and out style will serve him well in this fight.

#5 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

I don't know if you guys missed the headline, but Bob already made it clear that there's an immediate rematch clause for this fight. Me thinks some fuckery is gonna take place. Maybe Manny will look nearly awesome, but "didn't do enough to take the belt away from the champ", OR...the champ can look great, and end up on the ugly side of things. 

All of this talk from Bob about the "megafight", and blah blah blah, gives me this nagging suspicion that viewers and buyers will be stuck with the "WTF just happened?" face, after the fight is over. I also believe that this one will go the full 12. 

Makes me wonder how Bob Arum sees the results of this fight.

while all true, he was still hit by a much slower Prod... Maybe thats because his eye was blocked, but he was still hit. His defence is not solid. While I can see how you could think Algieri could beat Pac

His defense isn't going to be up there like Mayweather's of course, but it was pretty solid imo comparing to your more usual fighter. He did a heck of a better job than Bradley at least.

#6 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

bradley had something to prove, he was fighting totally out of character, like when manny went all out against mnarquez in the 4th fight. those are exceptions. bradley could have boxed circles around provodnikov. algieri was getting clobbered throughout the entire provodnikov fight. algieri just had his first 12 round fight with ruslan. his best two victories came agaisnt guys who came right at him and followed him around with no head or upper body movement. ruslan made him misss a ton and he stops using his head movement the 2nd he lands a big shot on you. algieri has never fought on the stage of a hbo chamo boxing event let alone ppv with pacman. hes gonna be so nervous. in the taylor and provo fights, his best weapons are when he leans over to his left and throws jab and then a left hook to the body followed by a left uppercut. hes a converted lefty, so all his power is up front. if you take away his jab he is totally useless. manny took away  cottos jab, took away margos jab, de la hoyas, and dealt with all of marquez nasty little traps pretty well besides that last fight in which he through caution out the window. 

i have never seen algieri walk a guy down ever so i dont know how good he can cut the ring off, but ill tell you his accuracy is dogshit. go rematch the provo fight and see how many times provo slips his left hand. manny moves much better than that and he can still get off while hes on his toes moving away from you. i dont think algieri has the experience to deal with a guy like pacquiao. i remeber when people said rios had a 50/50 chance of knocking out pacquiao, that was funny. just because chris saw what marquez did to manny and thinks he can replicate that doesnt mean shit, tim b radley tried to use marquez blueprint to ko manny in the rematch and he got beat. people have tried to mimic castillo and de la hoya against mayweather and failed over and over. this is no different. i think manny wins this and i think he has incredible speed in this fight, hes already on weight. 

#7 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

bradley had something to prove, he was fighting totally out of character, like when manny went all out against mnarquez in the 4th fight. those are exceptions. bradley could have boxed circles around provodnikov. algieri was getting clobbered throughout the entire provodnikov fight. algieri just had his first 12 round fight with ruslan. his best two victories came agaisnt guys who came right at him and followed him around with no head or upper body movement. ruslan made him misss a ton and he stops using his head movement the 2nd he lands a big shot on you. algieri has never fought on the stage of a hbo chamo boxing event let alone ppv with pacman. hes gonna be so nervous. in the taylor and provo fights, his best weapons are when he leans over to his left and throws jab and then a left hook to the body followed by a left uppercut. hes a converted lefty, so all his power is up front. if you take away his jab he is totally useless. manny took away  cottos jab, took away margos jab, de la hoyas, and dealt with all of marquez nasty little traps pretty well besides that last fight in which he through caution out the window. 

i have never seen algieri walk a guy down ever so i dont know how good he can cut the ring off, but ill tell you his accuracy is dogshit. go rematch the provo fight and see how many times provo slips his left hand. manny moves much better than that and he can still get off while hes on his toes moving away from you. i dont think algieri has the experience to deal with a guy like pacquiao. i remeber when people said rios had a 50/50 chance of knocking out pacquiao, that was funny. just because chris saw what marquez did to manny and thinks he can replicate that doesnt mean shit, tim b radley tried to use marquez blueprint to ko manny in the rematch and he got beat. people have tried to mimic castillo and de la hoya against mayweather and failed over and over. this is no different. i think manny wins this and i think he has incredible speed in this fight, hes already on weight. 

I disagree with about everything you've said here. Bradley has always been a bonehead, fighting a stupid fight. The only time I've seen him fight a smart fight was against Marquez, and I feel like he had more to prove there. Algieri was getting clobbered because Provodnikov is not an easy fight. Algieri still boxed beautifully. As for Algieri's confidence, I think he is a pretty confident guy, have you seen his interview during GGG's fight? He seemed pretty comfortable with the attention that he is getting. How did Manny take away anyone's jab? Manny is not very smart, and is pretty one-dimensional. Manny had the advantage over all these guys you mentioned, given weight clauses, and the style. Manny had no answer for Marquez, that's why he got put out in the 4th fight. Marquez was setting him up with the right hand from the beginning of the fight, and caught Manny slipping at the last bell.

How is Manny's in and out fighting going to give him an advantage if the guy he is fighting is pretty fast and athletic himself, not to mention tall with a long reach. You can't compare Algieri to guys like Margarito. Margarito had no skill whatsoever, and I see lots of skill invested in Algieri. Whoever said Rios beats Pacquiao must not know much about styles then, because Rios was tailor-made for him. Algieri has a style that Pacquiao struggles with, see Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez. I do believe Manny is a good fighter, because he possess physical assets that gets him ahead. As far as being a skilled boxer, I don't see it. I think people overrate Manny and overlook all the behind-the-scenes advantages he's had in his fights that sparked his popularity.

#8 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

True TB had something to prove but your ignoring the fact that he went for the KO all night and buzzed Pacquiao...and TB is seen as a fighter who doesn't have much power. That's not a good look for Manny. Now as far as Algieri-Provo goes, Ward, whose known as a defensive genius raved about how Algieri was anticipating the punches and avoiding them, so what's he going to do with two good eyes this time lol.

As far as Provo making him miss that's kinda laughable because Algieri was throwing to open up opportunities on Provo and in that regard he succeeded. If Ruslan slipped that much he should've been able to do better then what he did.

Manny didn't take a way Miguel's jab, Cotto was on his bike after he got knocked down, it's not like he negated his jab with superb defense, he just threw a shot and it hurt Cotto. Cotto went into survival mode. Oscar? Kinda hard to respect that when the guy had IV marks in his arm, Margarito jab was mediocre and he's terribly slow and the guy was out of the ring how long when they fought? And if Manny dealt with Marquez's traps as well as you claim then there wouldn't have been a need for 4 fights.

Incredible speed...I don't know whether to laugh or smh. He's fast but his speed ain't been incredible in years. I don't think Manny has the power to Ko Algieri and Algieri can have success against Manny because he has no defense. I do believe Manny will win but you overrating the guy just a tad. We don't know how Algieri will handle the moment. But it's not inconceivable that he can handle it.

Edited by mrchitown, 24 October 2014 - 09:03 PM.

• AZWildCat likes this

#9 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

How well Algieri does could be decided by the first several hard shots that Manny lands,

If Many lands flush and this is "Provodnikov round 1 revisited," and Chris can't take it, his heart will be in it, no question, but Manny may be able to score a couple knockdowns to get a win.  No favors for Chris in China, unless there is some fukery going on. OR, Manny lands his best, and Chris copies Marquez and Mayweather type movement strategy.  Manny has trouble with movers.  Chris can't hurt Manny.  Can Manny hurt Chris? That is the tell-tale sign of this fight.

I could see controversy in the fight orchestrated by Arum to force a rematch of this fight to try to stop public talk of Mayweather-Pacquiao,   My pick is Pacquiao by close decision in a tough fight.  (This assumes no controversy.)

Jack

#10 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

These Pac has no defense comments are pretty funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users