Photo

Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri-Preview and Poll!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Pacquiao vs. Algieri-Poll (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Wins?

1. Pacquiao by Dec (Close) (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Pacquiao by Dec (Wide) (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Pacquiao by KO/TKO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Algieri by Dec (Close) (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. Algieri by Dec (Wide) (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Algieri by KO/TKO (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

8. DQ (Indicate Loser in Response) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#21 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

yet people argue that Bradley is a accurate puncher, and Rios is a big guy and neither landed such an amount. I remember people making the argument that Maidana landed a surprising amount on Mayweather due to looping shots and what not, and thats effectively what both Rios and Bradley was doing, and if the shots were straight or conventional or whatever it'd be "cool". Clearly his below average defence hasn't cost him heavily, well when he applies it rather than running in gunning it, then again I suppose that could be an aspect to defence

Pacquiao has noticeable wear and tear going on. His decline is not just due to age, the guy has been in too many wars. It's common sense that the less you get hit the longer you last in the sport. His below avg defense has cost him a lot.Rios didn't land that much but Bradley gave Pacquiao two tough fights so he obviously did something right. In the 2nd fight all he did was go for the KO and he hurt the guy. Offensively Pacquiao is nice with the hands but defensively he's terrible.

#22 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Pacquiao has noticeable wear and tear going on. His decline is not just due to age, the guy has been in too many wars. It's common sense that the less you get hit the longer you last in the sport. His below avg defense has cost him a lot.Rios didn't land that much but Bradley gave Pacquiao two tough fights so he obviously did something right. In the 2nd fight all he did was go for the KO and he hurt the guy. Offensively Pacquiao is nice with the hands but defensively he's terrible.

I think his chin has always been a bit so and so, especially as hes gone up in weight. Theres been plenty of times in his career where he was hurt but never finished. I think its more of an issue of being the hammer and not the nail

#23 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think his chin has always been a bit so and so, especially as hes gone up in weight. Theres been plenty of times in his career where he was hurt but never finished. I think its more of an issue of being the hammer and not the nail

I agree with this post.

#24 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

I think this fight is going to be a HUGE BUST!  It is going to bomb for the following reasons:

1.) Stupid of Arum to put all remaining Pacquiao fights in China.  He says it's to ease the USA tax burden, but still American boxing writers are not going to have an incentive to go over there.

2.) This fight with Algieri coming off a win that most thought he lost.  We should have gotten Pacquiao-Provodnikov, which would have been more interesting.

3.) A $60-$70 PPV for an opponent no one has heard of, except for die hard boxing people in Algieri.

4.) Several writers and boxing fans have no interest in this fight.  Chris has an educated and articulate background, but he should have had a win or two that was not controversial first.

5.) My cable company, Time Warner is hardley advertising it yet.  There was one little In Demand circular that came in the mail with the bill.  However, it's not on-line, at least not in a big way.

6.) It seems that as long as Manny and Floyd never fight, and we know, never will with Arum in charge of Manny's career, the public does not care about any other fight.

7.) No closed-circuit showings, at least none of which I am aware.

What do you think?  What are we looking at for a buy-rate?

Jack

#25 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

I think this fight is going to be a HUGE BUST!  It is going to bomb for the following reasons:

1.) Stupid of Arum to put all remaining Pacquiao fights in China.  He says it's to ease the USA tax burden, but still American boxing writers are not going to have an incentive to go over there.

2.) This fight with Algieri coming off a win that most thought he lost.  We should have gotten Pacquiao-Provodnikov, which would have been more interesting.

3.) A  $60-$70 PPV for an opponent no one has heard of, except for die hard boxing people in Algieri.

4.) Several writers and boxing fans have no interest in this fight.  Chris has an educated and articulate background, but he should have had a win or two that was not controversial first.

5.) My cable company, Time Warner is hardley advertising it yet.  There was one little In Demand circular that came in the mail with the bill.  However, it's not on-line, at least not in a big way.

6.) It seems that as long as Manny and Floyd never fight, and we know, never will with Arum in charge of Manny's career, the public does not care about any other fight.

7.) No closed-circuit showings, at least none of which I am aware.

What do you think?  What are we looking at for a buy-rate?

Jack

low 400k?

#26 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

low 400k?

That's what I see as well.

Jack

#27 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

I think Algieri will give Manny all he can handle early then ultimately get caught with something that saps his confidence and has him on the defensive. Manny will benefit from inactivity and steal rounds. The close rounds will most likely go Manny's way so I have it for Manny in a close one that doesn't make either fighter look any better after the fact.

From his own inactivity lol...algeri ain't gonna stand still to get hit or wait to be second.... This is going to look like Garcia vs Herrera

#28 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

This immediate rematch clause just wont escape my mind....something is up.....

:no2:

#29 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

fuck this fight.

#30 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members