• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

It would have been nice to see the old man pull out the victory but I didn't expect him to win...so no I'm not mad at all. I just have a huge problem with the level of disrespect that was shown to him. As a fan of the sport, I think it was despicable. If it were Manny Pacquiao or Eric Morales or Floyd Mayweather or any other legend on their way out that took a loss, I would feel the same way. When you have the career a B Hop has, you deserve to be treated with respect. Lampley made it seem like Kovalev made Bernard a laughing stock and Bernard was some hype job who really had no chance.  

That's what Lampley wanted it to be...it was a big "f you" to Showtime and to Hopkins for leaving and coming back...thinking he was going to beat their "boogie man". 

The fight was nowhere close this "dominant shutout" that Lampley made it out to be. At the end of the day, you'd have to wonder if it had more to do with Hopkins trying to avoid Kovalev's right hand, or Kovalev imposing his will and dominating the fight. 

#202 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

That's what Lampley wanted it to be...it was a big "f you" to Showtime and to Hopkins for leaving and coming back...thinking he was going to beat their "boogie man". 

The fight was nowhere close this "dominant shutout" that Lampley made it out to be. At the end of the day, you'd have to wonder if it had more to do with Hopkins trying to avoid Kovalev's right hand, or Kovalev imposing his will and dominating the fight.

They set him up nicely didn't they? Smiled in his face and then during the entire broadcast just basically made it seem like Bernard was a C-list fighter. All the while continuously propping up Kovalev, much like they do Golovkin, as the boogeyman.

I applaud Kovalev for his victory because that was impressive and a star making performance he put on this past Saturday night. I just think the HBO crew with the exception of RJJ were unfair and instead, being biased. Kovalev gets hurt numerous times and it's only called once by Kellerman. Lederman doesn't even give Bernard the round, which was the 7th I beleive, which was one of numerous occasions where Hopkins hurt Sergey and he commanded that round for the most part.

I don't think it was Hopkins trying to avoid the right or Kovalev imposing anything, I think he controlled the distance and made the fight progress how he and his team wanted it to. Notice how Kovalev would flurry with punches and then take a half step back. He was effectively moving in and out of range and resetting which didn't allow Hopkins to mount an offensive attack...I tell my fighters and I tell fans and whoever else that'll listen, you wanna win a fight? You could be a slugger or a boxer a counter puncher or a guy with a strong hook, but for you to win you have to negotiate distance.

As long as the distance is negotiated on your terms then you have just increased exponentially your odds of winning the fight and Kovalev did just that.....soon Lampley wil flow tears of sadness because Kovalev ain't going undefeated. He has some flaws that even in a great performance made him look very vulnerable going forward. Ain't no such thing as the boogeyman, HBO, John David Jackson, Duva, and Sergey will find that out in due time.

Edited by mrchitown, 13 November 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#203 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

"i think kovalev just did a little dance there" - max kellerman

this as the only props he gave hopkins all fight

Edited by klonopinz, 13 November 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#204 Hotsauce

Hotsauce

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

They set him up nicely didn't they? Smiled in his face and then during the entire broadcast just basically made it seem like Bernard was a C-list fighter. All the while continuously propping up Kovalev, much like they do Golovkin, as the boogeyman.

I applaud Kovalev for his victory because that was impressive and a star making performance he put on this past Saturday night. I just think the HBO crew with the exception of RJJ were unfair and instead, being biased. Kovalev gets hurt numerous times and it's only called once by Kellerman. Lederman doesn't even give Bernard the round, which was the 7th I beleive, which was one of numerous occasions where Hopkins hurt Sergey and he commanded that round for the most part.

I don't think it was Hopkins trying to avoid the right or Kovalev imposing anything, I think he controlled the distance and made the fight progress how he and his team wanted it to. Notice how Kovalev would flurry with punches and then take a half step back. He was effectively moving in and out of range and resetting which didn't allow Hopkins to mount an offensive attack...I tell my fighters and I tell fans and whoever else that'll listen, you wanna win a fight? You could be a slugger or a boxer a counter puncher or a guy with a strong hook, but for you to win you have to negotiate distance.

As long as the distance is negotiated on your terms then you have just increased exponentially your odds of winning the fight and Kovalev did just that.....soon Lampley wil flow tears of sadness because Kovalev ain't going undefeated. He has some flaws that even in a great performance made him look very vulnerable going forward. Ain't no such thing as the boogeyman, HBO, John David Jackson, Duva, and Sergey will find that out in due time.

yep when this fight was first announced, I said hbo wanted kovalev to win.

#205 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

of course they did, hes the only one who didnt leave them for showtime. hes also the one who fights they way they like and hes also the one who consistently fights 3 times a year. he also has the more upside because hes younger, not to mention ho bernard has embarassed lampley in the past according to his own word.

#206 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

yep when this fight was first announced, I said hbo wanted kovalev to win.

They will always want him to win since he's their guy

#207 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

I know I am late as shit with this post but I was pissed that BHOP lost but more upset how HBO bitch asses were acting. Max with his "Kovalev with one shot can put Hopkins to sleep" "Let's see if Kovalev can put Hopkins to sleep" all damn night it was that same tone. They never gave Hopkins credit for shit. I am not going to touch Jim because he is a bitch anyway. Roy was trying his best to point out all the good Hopkins was doing but the other two cum stains weren't having it. I actually wrote HBO a letter and told them how I felt about their commentary team. I got a rely back "Their views are not the overall opinion of The Home Box Office Network" they gave me a free month of HBO, so I can't be too mad. These cats were overjoyed that Bernard lost. Props for Kovalev for fighting smart, he surprised me actually. Good shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users