• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

Andre Berto is like a first round draft pick bust to me. He had all the tools and potential, the look, everything except that one thing that would make him a superstar: the Ws. I don't know what happened to Andre. I don't. However, instead of trying to fight the Chris Aligeries of the boxing world he is going after the big names, Maidana, Ortiz (a rematch I want to  see), Mayweather and Khan. That shows heart and a mentally that he is about taking on the best. Then there is Maidana, he wants Pacquiao, Broner and a rematch with Khan. Instead of taking soft touches, fighters that were once of the road to superstardom and fell the fuck off are not trying to take the easiest roads but instead are taking on the toughest opposition. Victor Ortiz still has the makings of an elite boxer but he needs to get out of his own way. I am curious to see how Shawn Porter fairs out after his loss to Ezekiel Reid.

Quick question: If Khan losses to Devon, what happens to Amir?

• Cshel86 likes this

#2 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Berto got fed so many soft touches that when he finally stepped up he didn't know what to do. that's his fault and Haymon's fault. It's going to be hard to see Berto making anymore noise because it's so many up and coming guys that idk how he fares against the Porter's and Thurman's out there.

Ortiz is done, I'm still a fan but Berto said it right 3 out of his last 4 he quit. He just can't handle the pressure, he looks for a way out and then does interviews saying he's going to be one of the greats. His defining moment was the Berto fight, besides that he hasn't really done anything

I don't care what happens to Khan if he loses, but I'd hope he goes away for good because he's the most annoying fighter out there today. Him and Ortiz should fight. Neither's actions and comments matchup with their actual skill level...let Khan tell it, he's on the Hopkins, Ward, Mayweather, Klitschko level of fighting
  • Cshel86 likes this

#3 flazi

flazi

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Berto got fed so many soft touches that when he finally stepped up he didn't know what to do. that's his fault and Haymon's fault. It's going to be hard to see Berto making anymore noise because it's so many up and coming guys that idk how he fares against the Porter's and Thurman's out there.

Ortiz is done, I'm still a fan but Berto said it right 3 out of his last 4 he quit. He just can't handle the pressure, he looks for a way out and then does interviews saying he's going to be one of the greats. His defining moment was the Berto fight, besides that he hasn't really done anything

I don't care what happens to Khan if he loses, but I'd hope he goes away for good because he's the most annoying fighter out there today. Him and Ortiz should fight. Neither's actions and comments matchup with their actual skill level...let Khan tell it, he's on the Hopkins, Ward, Mayweather, Klitschko level of fighting

exactly, too many taxi cab drivers.  i also think he fell in love with his power and felt he could ko just about anyone he hit clean.  stamina issues also but can't doubt his heart, dude goes out on his shield.  i love that about him.

• AZWildCat likes this

#4 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

exactly, too many taxi cab drivers.  i also think he fell in love with his power and felt he could ko just about anyone he hit clean.  stamina issues also but can't doubt his heart, dude goes out on his shield.  i love that about him.

No doubt he's exciting but like you said, the fighters he was facing early on didn't prepare him for what it's really like at the top level. And every time he seems to try to get over that hump, he fails.

I thought he would beat Soto Karass but he got worked pretty good in that fight. I still wanna see him and Ortiz in a rematch though

#5 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

he also had a shitty trainer for the majority of his career

• AZWildCat likes this

#6 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Berto got fed so many soft touches that when he finally stepped up he didn't know what to do. that's his fault and Haymon's fault. It's going to be hard to see Berto making anymore noise because it's so many up and ceoming guys that idk how he fares against the Porter's and Thurman's out there.

Blasphemy chi .....I'm a berto fan myself but do you really think khan and Ortiz on the same level?
Khan has more key wins than victor has championship fights...and has more of those too!!!

As far as fighting... technically he is on the Klitschko level of fighting..

No doubt he's exciting but like you said, the fighters he was facing early on didn't prepare him for what it's really like at the top level. And every time he seems to try to get over that hump, he fails.
I thought he would beat Soto Karass but he got worked pretty good in that fight. I still wanna see him and Ortiz in a rematch though

Karrass first then Ortiz.. Look OK then look spectacular!

#7 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

Blasphemy chi .....I'm a berto fan myself but do you really think khan and Ortiz on the same level?
Khan has more key wins than victor has championship fights...and has more of those too!!!
As far as fighting... technically he is on the Klitschko level of fighting..

Karrass first then Ortiz.. Look OK then look spectacular!

What level is Khan realistically on? He's a star in his own mind. The only reason he's fighting Devon is because he's desparate to land the Mayweather fight. Sure he has more quality wins but he hasn't faced world class competition since Garcia and we saw what happened there. He hasn't done squat at WW but Berto and Ortiz have.

I agree,I'm thinking with some minor tweaking he could best Karass by KO and him and Ortiz, with all the bad blood between the two at some point they've got to rematch

#8 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

What level is Khan realistically on? He's a star in his own mind. The only reason he's fighting Devon is because he's desparate to land the Mayweather fight. Sure he has more quality wins but he hasn't faced world class competition since Garcia and we saw what happened there. He hasn't done squat at WW but Berto and Ortiz have.

I agree,I'm thinking with some minor tweaking he could best Karass by KO and him and Ortiz, with all the bad blood between the two at some point they've got to rematch

Khan is weak china. I lost interest after the Lamont Peterson fight. He thinks he is better what he is. Speed don't mean shit if you can't use it. 

#9 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

Khan is weak china. I lost interest after the Lamont Peterson fight. He thinks he is better what he is. Speed don't mean shit if you can't use it.

No speed doesn't mean shit when you got an opponent whose good at timing you. That's what has hurt Amir so many times in his career. He's been timed and gotten tagged and paid the price for it

#10 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Andre Berto is like a first round draft pick bust to me. He had all the tools and potential, the look, everything except that one thing that would make him a superstar: the Ws. I don't know what happened to Andre. I don't. However, instead of trying to fight the Chris Aligeries of the boxing world he is going after the big names, Maidana, Ortiz (a rematch I want to  see), Mayweather and Khan. That shows heart and a mentally that he is about taking on the best. Then there is Maidana, he wants Pacquiao, Broner and a rematch with Khan. Instead of taking soft touches, fighters that were once of the road to superstardom and fell the fuck off are not trying to take the easiest roads but instead are taking on the toughest opposition. Victor Ortiz still has the makings of an elite boxer but he needs to get out of his own way. I am curious to see how Shawn Porter fairs out after his loss to Ezekiel Reid.

Quick question: If Khan losses to Devon, what happens to Amir?

Berto, Berto, Berto, smh....at the end of the day, he could be a lot worse off. Everybody's pretty much shared their thoughts on him, and I mostly agree. Thing is, Berto could've fought stiffs for a while, but he did the worst thing a fighter could do....he got all Hollywood and lost his focus. 

It was just way too much chattering about how Berto partied and how much time he spent on the west coast...partying, of course. If you're gonna fight a bunch of stiffs and struggle when you step up in comp, at least stay in the gym. The writing was on the wall in the Collazo fight, but he didn't take heed.

We've seen it over and over again in boxing....a guy falls in love with his power, and can't cut the mustard when it's time to bite down and box/fight.Yeah yeah yeah, save the banter about "big punchers train to box, not just train for the KO". Look at this way, if a guy gets too complacent with his power, he wont train as hard and extensively. 

We've heard about guys messing up in camp, showing up late for training, taking unwarranted breaks from training, looking like crap during sparring...it can, has, and will always happen with certain fighters. Let's not forget that those media workouts close to the fights, tell us more than we think. A lot of people don't put much into the media workouts close to the fight, but those have been quite telling lately. 

I'm not so sure I like the idea of Berto calling out these big names, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how soon he wants those fights. It sounds good and the media appreciates it, but if he couldn't beat Guerrero after that suspension/layoff, then he way want to chill juuuust a little bit those big names. 

I've seen all of the videos on the front page, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Does Berto have a new trainer, or is he just training at the Goosen gym? 

As far as Ortiz....tools to be elite? Nah bruh. One of those tools consist of having the mental capacity to compete at the upper echelon of the sport. Ortiz needs meds and constant supervision, at this moment. We'll figure the rest out later on. 

• flazi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users