32 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

http://www.boxingsce...g-return--84438

It can't be THAT bad out here....well wait, maybe it is. It appears as though Mickey Rourke will make his return to boxing on the Provodnikov/Castillo card. I'm almost sure it wont be televised, but the fact that this fight is even happening, gives me the notion that I don't know what tha hell is gonna happen next. Lol

It's bad enough that Ruslan is fighting a corpse in Castillo, whom's safety I really fear for at this point....now THIS? Rourke is fighting a guy that 1-9 with 1 KO...is he just doing this to keep himself busy???

I'll merge this with the "boxers trying to restart their careers" thread. 

:no2:

#2 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

Let that man make a living!

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

Let that man cook!

I fixed it for ya again, AZ! Man, you're behind on this FH lingo. 

:lol:

Seriously though, who in the blue f*ck's idea was this??? I saw Rourke's country fried steak gut in the Expendables movie...I can only imagine how flabby this dude is gonna be. That motherf*cker's gonna come in there shaped like a 3-liter bottle. Smh

Not only that, but the guy he's fighting only has 1 win and 9 losses, so I can imagine a false sense of "I'm back" coming from Rourke's end, when he sparks this dude. They may as well let Stallone box, while they're at it. I know Rourke had a career decades ago, but WTF gives? What is he trying to accomplish here? 

This shit is almost as bad as when the WCW allowed Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone to wrestle on Hollywood Hogan and DDP's team back in the 90's. 

#4 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

When former Heavyweight Champion Jack Sharkey died, I remember David Lederman had a hysterical quote:

"Why did he have to die now at 93? Next week he was supposed to fight Larry Holmes."

The context of all this is the danger of boxing in these countries were their are very poor commissions and almost no regulation.  I believe if the fight goes through that Rourke at 61 will be the oldest guy fighting or close to that.  The only saving grace of this is to not have these fights televised.  One hand says that these little fly by night promoters should be sued for criminal negligence.  Than the other hand says, "well, let the guy make a living."  Problem is if you go with the "Let the guy make a living" philosophy, where do you draw the line? 

Jack

#5 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:06 PM

I fixed it for ya again, AZ! Man, you're behind on this FH lingo. 

Seriously though, who in the blue f*ck's idea was this??? I saw Rourke's country fried steak gut in the Expendables movie...I can only imagine how flabby this dude is gonna be. That motherf*cker's gonna come in there shaped like a 3-liter bottle. Smh

Not only that, but the guy he's fighting only has 1 win and 9 losses, so I can imagine a false sense of "I'm back" coming from Rourke's end, when he sparks this dude. They may as well let Stallone box, while they're at it. I know Rourke had a career decades ago, but WTF gives? What is he trying to accomplish here? 

This shit is almost as bad as when the WCW allowed Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone to wrestle on Hollywood Hogan and DDP's team back in the 90's.

Oh I've been on he just wasn't worthy of that blessing lol

It could be a publicity stunt or it could be a genuine love of the sport. But its more or less a stunt

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

When former Heavyweight Champion Jack Sharkey died, I remember David Lederman had a hysterical quote:

"Why did he have to die now at 93? Next week he was supposed to fight Larry Holmes."

The context of all this is the danger of boxing in these countries were their are very poor commissions and almost no regulation.  I believe if the fight goes through that Rourke at 61 will be the oldest guy fighting or close to that.  The only saving grace of this is to not have these fights televised.  One hand says that these little fly by night promoters should be sued for criminal negligence.  Than the other hand says, "well, let the guy make a living."  Problem is if you go with the "Let the guy make a living" philosophy, where do you draw the line? 

Jack

That's my question, Jack...is there even a f*ckin line here? If a guy has been out of the sport for decades, then somebody needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to sit his ass down somewhere. 

It's not a special case here, like the Dewey Bozella situation. Dude was in prison for over 20 years, and hell, he got out and made it clear that his fight on the untelevised portion of Hopkins/Dawson1 was his first, last, and only fight. Moreover, he had a reason to fight...he just wanted to fight pro once in his life. 

As for Rourke, well....I just don;t have many words about it, at this point. Lol

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

Oh I've been on he just wasn't worthy of that blessing lol

It could be a publicity stunt or it could be a genuine love of the sport. But its more or less a stunt

I don't mind his love for the sport, but something tells me that he's going to see how much has left in the tank after his fight against that no-hoper. Lol

#8 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Can't believe somebody beat out Arum for worse card of the year. Arum should be upset, that's his award to win every year

#9 aTYpicalTYrant

aTYpicalTYrant

Bantamweight

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Bernard got these old cats feeling revitalized n shit.... Lol! Is this fight taking place in the USA? I Didn't think he could get cleared...

N oh yeah... Wassup CSHEL n Chi
  • mrchitown likes this

#10 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

Bernard got these old cats feeling revitalized n shit.... Lol! Is this fight taking place in the USA? I Didn't think he could get cleared...
N oh yeah... Wassup CSHEL n Chi

Wassup...yeah Hopkins got others thinking they can do it too but Rourke should just give its rest. He should be sitting ringside instead of being in the ring. He must've been watching grudge match or something lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users