• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

He really called him out in his fight game season-ending show. He essentially called him out for putting his best fighters in fights with bums and protecting them for no real reason. 

I think any unbiased person would agree to a large extent. The year for Danny Garcia, for example, was an absolute waste. The same for Adrien Broner and Adonis Stevenson. I am not sure what guys like Leo Santa Cruz and Lucas Matthysse have been up to.They have essentially been moved to a smaller network (Showtime) and taken lesser fights this year. The fiasco with Kid Chocolate was pretty annoying. 

I am hoping this sets up for an exciting 2015, but I will believe it when I see it. Taking his fighters to a network that almost no casual fan knows exists (NBC Sports Network???) doesn't give me much confidence. I think the recent fights for both Amir Khan and Tim Bradley speak volumes. Bradley got more than double the purse and a much greater audience than Amir Khan got despite fighting a lesser opponent. I think Khan is the more popular fighter with a much more fan-friendly style as well. 

I like the idea of all the best fighters being under the control of one guy, but at some point these Haymon fighters have to fight someone of note. Broner should not be continuing to fight B-level guys. The same goes for Garcia and Lamont Peterson. It is time for all of these fighters to start making moves. Hopefully for the sport we all love, 2015 will feature some of those key bouts. 

#2 Dolimite

Dolimite

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

He really called him out in his fight game season-ending show. He essentially called him out for putting his best fighters in fights with bums and protecting them for no real reason. 

I think any unbiased person would agree to a large extent. The year for Danny Garcia, for example, was an absolute waste. The same for Adrien Broner and Adonis Stevenson. I am not sure what guys like Leo Santa Cruz and Lucas Matthysse have been up to.They have essentially been moved to a smaller network (Showtime) and taken lesser fights this year. The fiasco with Kid Chocolate was pretty annoying. 

I am hoping this sets up for an exciting 2015, but I will believe it when I see it. Taking his fighters to a network that almost no casual fan knows exists (NBC Sports Network???) doesn't give me much confidence. I think the recent fights for both Amir Khan and Tim Bradley speak volumes. Bradley got more than double the purse and a much greater audience than Amir Khan got despite fighting a lesser opponent. I think Khan is the more popular fighter with a much more fan-friendly style as well. 

I like the idea of all the best fighters being under the control of one guy, but at some point these Haymon fighters have to fight someone of note. Broner should not be continuing to fight B-level guys. The same goes for Garcia and Lamont Peterson. It is time for all of these fighters to start making moves. Hopefully for the sport we all love, 2015 will feature some of those key bouts.

Funny how Arum does the same shit but longer. He accused Marquez of PED use after sending Pac to lala land, but never accused Pac of the same thing. Said Mayweather hands picks his opponents but thinks Manny vs. a kick boxer is a great fight. Fuck.this dude and hjs bias reporting and bogus ass show.
  • BrutUalBK likes this

#3 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

I think it's an concentrated effort on the part of some in the boxing industry who want to get rid of Haymon and those who align themselves with him

I haven't seen Lampley's latest rant but I'm not going to put stock in his opinion because he has an agenda

I also laugh when people say things about showtime and what Haymon does when boxing as a whole has had a down year coming off a great year last year. Wtf did HBO give that was so special? Only points thst network score is for pushing Crawford and that fight between Kovalev and Hopkins. Other then that them dudes ain't done shit either

Most people don't know how to be unbiased because if they did they'd recognize that both networks failed this year and in 2013 when fans and media alike were praising the sport they were really praising Haymon and Showtime because they were the ones putting on the great fights...it's not all on Haymon and that's a sorry ass excuse to blast him and try to make it look like its Haymon's fault for what's happened this year

It's not NBC sports network either which if someone doesn't know the network then they can't really call themselves a fan of sports, especially boxing fans when main events have had cards on that network for the last few years. The alleged Haymon deal would be his fighters fighting on CBS I believe

Edited by mrchitown, 26 December 2014 - 07:19 PM.

• BrutUalBK likes this

#4 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Correction, the rumored Haymon TV deal is for NBC but it's rumored to take place on the actual network where Haymon would pay for the airtime and pay the boxers out of his own pocket

#5 kej718

kej718

Strawweight

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

I think Haymon was saving the big fights for after the NBC deal.  Showtime / regular NBC would get the big match-ups, while NBC would be used for up and coming fighters, or guys coming off of layoff.  Showtime would have less dates but better fights, and guys like Errol Spence could headline a NBC card before moving on to bigger fights on showtime.  Keep in mind the WBC wants to do a tournament for Floyds WBC title, and most of the fighters are on Showtime already so that should help gain more viewers.

• BrutUalBK likes this

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

I couldn't care less about what Lampley says or feels, so I'll leave that right there. I do agree with what you said about these guys needing to fight better opponents, I truly agree. However, in some way, these guys need to become a bit bigger than they are the sport, because boxing isn't THAT big of a household sport. 

Of course we have our stars in the sport, but more people need to know who guys like Khan, Berto, Ortiz, Maidana, and so on, are. Again, what's the point of putting on these "fantasy" fights, when the only people that know these fighters, are us hardcore fans?

Again, I tooootally agree with your stance that these guys need to be in bigger fights, I do. I just want more people (other than hardcore fans) to know about these guys, or it's somewhat of a waste. 

In one breath, you argue that some fighters had a bad year, but according to the numbers, guys like Danny Garcia can pull in 850k views fighting guys like Rod Salka, while Peterson and Jacobs fight no-hopers. I wish there was a formula to this, I really do. 

If the unqualified observer sees Garcia knock Salka's lights out, then they're automatically going to become a fan....more than likely. Us casual fans hate the idea of the Garcias of the world fighting the Salkas of the world, but if that brings in more casual fans, then...I don't truly agree with it, BUT, the promoters and networks have to do their jobs....bring in more viewers and buyers. 

It's a sticky situation, and yes, business can spoil a lot of shit....we all know this. However, hardcore boxing fans are NEVER happy, so that comes into to play as well. If Garcia/Salka can draw 850k views, then what do you think the promoters, advisors, networks and so on, are gonna give us?

We as hardcore fans get GREAT fights, and we're either unhappy with the results (guys hoping that Lucas KO'd Danny, but he didn't) or we're already demanding more, even if we just got a fight that we were clamoring for. 

It's a tough situation, but we can't just blame it on Haymon. Bob puts Manny in against anybody nowadays, then gives us a shitty undercard, but nobody cracks their mouths open to complain. Instead, "fans" and the media just to look to the opposite side (Mayweather/Haymon) and point the finger, as to why boxing isn't what it's supposed to be. 

Don't you think that if Manny/Arum were doing big numbers and putting on great cards, that the media, HBO, and "fans" would care about what Haymon has going on? Let that marinate for a minute. 

It's more like a sour puss parade nowadays...."We (HBO, Arum) aren't doing so great, so let's try to dig up dirt on them (Haymon, Mayweather, SHOtime) and blame them for not giving our guy (Manny) a fight that he (and we) so desperately needs nowadays". 

• BrutUalBK likes this

#7 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

lampleys right, theres no two ways around it. and IMO HBO was the better of the two networks. Just take a look at the fights this year and how they delivered. 

#8 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

Here's the problem I have with Lampley and his FightGame show, he only allows for one-sided/totally biased reporting and as mentioned, he has an agenda!!  If Lampley really wanted to address this issue fairly then bring Haymon on the show live to ask him of his intentions and what fights he plans to make and on what network does he intend to show them.

Furthermore, he should put Haymon on the spot about doing cross promotions so that the entire world can hear it for themselves and see what happens after whatever Haymon states and then judge whether or not he was doing something for the good of the sport or simply for the good of his own pockets.

I can say the same that Lampley should do this with all Promoters and Sanctioning bodies so that we can get a sense of overall fairness and responsibility of all of these entities that make up the sport of boxing so when the time comes and there is failure in the moment we will all know who to hold accountable for it.

If Lampley isn't doing this, then he should just have a big cup of STFU!!

#9 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

Lampley's show is pretty biased from what I seen. The dude is on Arum's side without a doubt. The first show I watched, he brought Arum on the show and literally stated Floyd is ducking Pacquiao, so that's pretty much all I need to know about the show's credibility.

On another thought, Haymon isn't the guy to blame really, not trying to sound like a delusional fan either. Boxing is a tanking sport, with many boring fights to come. Most of the greatest fights we can think of have already been made or tried to be made. It's always going to have this sort of outlook of great fighters fighting 'nobodies'.

Edited by sduck, 28 December 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#10 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

dont blame haymon for it, blame SHOWTIME. SHOWTIME is the one that says, yeah, well air that fight, its good enough. if showtime buys the fight haymon put forth, and gets his fighter more cash then he did his job. blame showtime for allowing these dogshit fights to be aired. at least HBO has denied some shitty offers of potential fights, showtime just takes what they can get. but on the other hand, showtime is not biased towards certain fighters and styles. each network has their upsides and downsides. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users