Photo

Unreleased Michael Koncz interview from last week...

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 thehype

thehype

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

• Root Admin
  • 21,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

I personally haven't reported too much on this latest round of "negotiations", but in case anyone was wondering, I've still been on top of things. That being said, last week, when "news" broke reporting that Pacquiao had agreed to all terms (we've heard that before), I actually did interview Michael Koncz. After speaking to him, however, I really didn't feel as though he gave me anything more than what's already been said, so I didn't bother to post it on the main site. In hindsight, I probably should have posted it just so people can see how differently my conversations are with him compared to that of others. That being said, here's my full "unreleased" interview with Koncz, which took place on Wednesday, January 14, 2015:

BT: Mike, how are you doing?

MK: I'm doing fine.

BT: That's good; that's good. You know, my feelings are a little hurt. You're calling everybody and telling them that everything is agreed to, but you're not calling me.

MK: Well, they're calling me. I don't have time to call anybody.

BT: (Laughing) So what's the scoop? I mean, is everything agreed to?

MK: Well, there's nothing I can say other than we've agreed to the terms that's been negotiated and now it's up to Floyd. I can't disclose the terms and stuff.

BT: When you say the terms, is it the terms that Floyd's side gave you guys? I only ask because I know that you mentioned a counteroffer that you sent to Floyd's side in a recent interview that you did. [http://ringtv.craveo...eather-jr-talks]

MK: Yeah, but it was a negotiation, so we've agreed to all of the terms that were negotiated. Now it's up to Floyd to sign off or not.

BT: Do you know if Floyd agreed to the term in your counteroffer?

MK: These were negotiated terms with the representatives of Floyd, so now it's up to Floyd. I'm assuming...I don't know. I'm not going to assume nothing. That's all I can say right now.

BT: Are you able to say who the representatives were that you guys were dealing with?

MK: No! We have an agreement that we wouldn't do that, but it's the right people.

BT: So basically everything is agreed to, but you can't talk about anything other than to say that Floyd hasn't signed off on anything.

MK: Not that I'm aware of.

BT: When you sent in your counteroffer, were you told that Floyd was okay with the counteroffer?

MK: You keep saying counteroffer. There were many counters back and forth and there was a final meeting of the minds I would say.

BT: Well the only reason why I use the term counteroffer is just because when you did an interview with Lem Satterfield about a week and a half ago, you mentioned that Manny was updated on everything that was going on and you guys got an offer from their side, so you sent back a counteroffer. I was just wondering, at the time when you sent back the counteroffer, if you're currently saying right now that you've agreed to the terms, then I would have to imagine that at some point they told you that they were either okay or not okay with your counteroffer, no?

MK: Again, there have been multiple discussions with Floyd's representatives, so it's not a counteroffer. We've come to an agreement and have agreed to the negotiated terms.

BT: But you have no idea if Floyd has agreed. You're saying his representatives have agreed, but...

MK: (Cutting in) Exactly! Now it's up to Floyd.

BT: Is it safe to say that the fight is happening on May 2nd then? Can you at least say that or are you not able to discuss the date?

MK: Well, if Floyd signs off like his representatives say he will, then yes, it will be on May 2nd.

BT: And at MGM Grand? Is that safe to assume?

MK: Now you're getting me in hot water. That's all I can say.

BT: (Laughing) Well I don't want to do that. I definitely don't want to get you in hot water. The only reason why...

MK: (Cutting in) The date proposed by the Mayweather camp was May 2nd and we've accepted that date.

BT: Well, that's the only reason why I mentioned the MGM Grand too is because I know that's the venue that Floyd previously mentioned, so I assume that you guys are okay with that.

MK: No comment! I've already told you that we've agreed to everything.

BT: I know. It's just hard to understand what exactly was agreed to because you're not really saying anything and...

MK: (Cutting in) Yeah, but that was the agreement that we had. We won't disclose who we're discussing with, what the terms are, or anything.

BT: But if you guys had an agreement like that, then why would you guys come out and say Floyd's not signing off? I would think if you had an agreement in place to not talk about the terms of the negotiation, or who you're even negotiating with, then you would also have an agreement in place that says that you're not going to say that you guys signed, but Floyd didn't sign; especially when you previously said that you were give him until the end of the month.

MK: I never said that. I never said any time. [Note: In an article written by Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin, Koncz is quoted as saying, "We're giving this until the end of the month," while giving an update on negotiations.]

BT: Really? I'm pretty sure that I read in an interview you gave that you were going to give negotiations until the end of the month.

MK: Well, you may have read that, but I certainly did say it.

BT: Oh. Well they may have misquoted you on that.

MK: They misquoted me or attributed a false quote to me.

BT: Gotcha. I guess the reason why I thought that statement was accurate was because I'm pretty sure I read that Manny was saying the same thing. My apologies.

MK: No, Manny said he expected an announcement by the end of the month, but he didn't say it was about Floyd; he didn't say it was anybody.

BT: Oh, so he just meant a general announcement was going to be made by the end of the month.

MK: Yeah.

BT: Cool. This is totally unrelated to the actual fight, but I know Manny has his movie premiering in Hollywood, I think at the Chinese Theater, on the 20th or something. Is he going to show up? Is he planning on going to that, or do you not know at this point?

MK: Yeah, he's going, but I don't know the exact date. Yeah, he's going.

BT: Oh, okay, that's cool. I was just curious because they sent out a press release about it and I knew it was kind of a big deal, so...

MK: (Cutting in) Yes, he will be there. You guys can bombard him with questions, but he's not going to give any answers.

BT: Well I'm not going to be there, so I'm not going to do any bombarding.

MK: He will be at the movie premier. I'm not sure of the date at the Chinese Theater, but I know on the 21st, we're going to London, England.

BT: I heard. To meet with Prince Harry, right?

MK: Yeah, we have a dinner engagement. That's all I can about that. And then we have to be in Miami on the morning of the 24th.

BT: That's for Miss Universe, right?

MK: Correct. He's one of the judges for Miss Universe.

BT: I don't know if you can answer this or not, but if whatever is going on with the Mayweather fight happens to fall through, will the plan B fight definitely be here in the States or could it possibly end up in Macau again?

MK: Well, it's still up in the air. We have a plan B and we're working on plan B because we're not going to get caught with our pants down and sit around, but we're not certain on a venue yet. It could be here in the States or it could be in another country, but it's not going to be in Macau.

BT: Have you guys set a hard deadline to hear back from Floyd or is it just kind of up in the air right now.

MK: Well, we're working on other options, you know. Again, this has been a long 5 years, so we're not going to sit and wait to get started. Like I said, we've agreed to the terms, but a smart businessman always has a plan B.

BT: Of course. In the past, the drug testing seemed to be a more difficult hurdle to get over than some of the other terms, and then it was purse split that seemed to be the more difficult hurdle. Was there any term this time around that may have been more difficult to agree to? What are your thoughts on how these talks went?

MK: Everything went very smoothly because the fans want this fight and we're trying to give the fans what they want.

#2 daprofessor

daprofessor

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

i smell bullshit. if the fight ain't happening at mgm...it ain't happening. you can't say you agreed to all the terms if you disagree about the venue. i didn't think this fight was going to happen. i won't be holding my breath. 

• Plah and BrutUalBK like this

#3 flazi

flazi

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

smells very fishy.  the networks need to agree also, not just manny and floyd.

• BrutUalBK likes this

#4 xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

It almost seems Pac-Mans team is using Floyds name again to promote Manny. Very dissapointing news, but if Mayweather-Cotto 2 is in the cards next that is still a good fight.

• daprofessor and BrutUalBK like this

#5 BoxingFan86

BoxingFan86

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Great interview, even though Koncz wasn't willing to play ball. Ben asked the questions that needed to be asked; the questions that matters. Koncz was shook like a deer in the headlights. He even contradicted himself at times.
  • daprofessor, Kratza and BrutUalBK like this

#6 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

koncz is a delusional fool with an ugly ass face and a stupid mullet. he looks like he does about an 8 ball of coke a day up his huge schnoz. hes one of those "hate the face" type of people where when you see his face you throw up a little bit in your mouth. i cant believe manny would allow this man to remain in his company,he is an obvious crook and a total fraud businessman. i dont know whose degree he photocopied or what internet classes he took to become a financial advisor because he is the most unqualified, obvious frauds that ive ever smelled. what is manny thinking?

• BrutUalBK likes this

#7 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

Manny agreed to the date, gloves, money, testing, and location. Koncz can't come out and give the location away, but it will be at the MGM. If the fight doesn't get made, I don't think any reasonable person can blame Manny. Heck, even CBS execs are trying to get the thing done.

It just is what it is. Manny agreed to the testing and a 40-60 split. It sounds like we are getting Mayweather-Cotto 2 instead. It sucks for us, but you take the good with the bad in this sport.

#8 BoxingFan86

BoxingFan86

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Manny agreed to the date, gloves, money, testing, and location. Koncz can't come out and give the location away, but it will be at the MGM. If the fight doesn't get made, I don't think any reasonable person can blame Manny. Heck, even CBS execs are trying to get the thing done.
It just is what it is. Manny agreed to the testing and a 40-60 split. It sounds like we are getting Mayweather-Cotto 2 instead. It sucks for us, but you take the good with the bad in this sport.

If the fight doesn't happen, who do you blame?

#9 HyyerBlaze

HyyerBlaze

Super Flyweight

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

Man if this fight doesn't happen it's safe to say Floyd just doesnt want to fight Pacqiuao under any circumstance and NO ONE will be able to argue this.

#10 daprofessor

daprofessor

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

the honest truth is that floyd/cotto is a much more competitive than floyd/pac. i'm not one of the ppl who feel this fight has to happen. it's been pointless since pac/jmm3. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users