Photo

Update! (Post#18) Showtime/CBS/CBS Sports Reach Long-Term Boxing Deal!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

They were essentially with Al Haymon during the last 2 years. Now Al is taking a big chunk of that business to NBC and Spike. Showtime currently has no fights scheduled for this year. They obviously wanted Garcia-Peterson and Thurman-Guerrero. They still have a relationship with Golden Boy but Golden Boy has started to take some of their big names (Canelo) over to HBO. It will be interesting to see what Showtime can do moving forward.

#2 BoxingFan86

BoxingFan86

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

They were essentially with Al Haymon during the last 2 years. Now Al is taking a big chunk of that business to NBC and Spike. Showtime currently has no fights scheduled for this year. They obviously wanted Garcia-Peterson and Thurman-Guerrero. They still have a relationship with Golden Boy but Golden Boy has started to take some of their big names (Canelo) over to HBO. It will be interesting to see what Showtime can do moving forward.

http://www.boxingsce...fighters--86680

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Let me guess, you're waiting for Showtime to go under, so you can laugh, point your finger, and say, "I told you so!"?

I've never seen anybody so gung ho to point out the fact that a certain network doesn't have any fights lined up for "the year". We're still in January, don't you realize that? Now, had there been NO major boxing scheduled on HBO and Showtime, then I'd raise some concerns. 

All you need to know is, there WILL be boxing "this year", there just hasn't been anything announced for Showtime yet. Espinoza already made it clear that those fighters on the NBC and Spike TV cards will be returning to Showtime, and fighting on multiple networks. 

Why can't boxing fans just be happy with what's going on, instead of drumming up some blame-shifting rebuttal that pushes their agendas?

• flazi, xxxxxx and daprofessor like this

#4 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Al Haymon has over 160 fighters at last count. He wouldn't be stupid to throw all his big names at free tv, am guessing those two big fights are just starters and then we'll see stuff on Showtime

• xxxxxx and BrutUalBK like this

#5 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

He has some fighters that will be featured on a ShoBox card next month on the 20th I believe the date is. Showtime is just fine, Haymon is closing in on 200 fighters, all of them won't be on NBC and Spike.

#6 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Let me guess, you're waiting for Showtime to go under, so you can laugh, point your finger, and say, "I told you so!"?

I've never seen anybody so gung ho to point out the fact that a certain network doesn't have any fights lined up for "the year". We're still in January, don't you realize that? Now, had there been NO major boxing scheduled on HBO and Showtime, then I'd raise some concerns. 

All you need to know is, there WILL be boxing "this year", there just hasn't been anything announced for Showtime yet. Espinoza already made it clear that those fighters on the NBC and Spike TV cards will be returning to Showtime, and fighting on multiple networks. 

Why can't boxing fans just be happy with what's going on, instead of drumming up some blame-shifting rebuttal that pushes their agendas?

You keep crying about some agenda. What is it? I got a good idea what someone like you would accuse me of, and you don't know how silly and wrong you would be.

I want to watch good fights. Period. I want Showtime to have success and continue to pay tons of money for good fights so that I can enjoy them. That is my agenda. Why would I possibly want Showtime to fail?????
  • Cshel86 likes this

#7 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Maybe it's just my own naive opinion but isn't Al's purpose of all these moves to knock down the network barriers and have his fighters on all platforms? 

#8 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Maybe it's just my own naive opinion but isn't Al's purpose of all these moves to knock down the network barriers and have his fighters on all platforms?

Who knows really, we'll have to see what's in store

I did hear that he's thinking about doing something outside the box down the line though

#9 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

You keep crying about some agenda. What is it? I got a good idea what someone like you would accuse me of, and you don't know how silly and wrong you would be.

I want to watch good fights. Period. I want Showtime to have success and continue to pay tons of money for good fights so that I can enjoy them. That is my agenda. Why would I possibly want Showtime to fail?????

Your insignificance is overwhelming at times

#10 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Yeah I agree with Grover, Haymon isn't stupid, he knows that once he builds up his fighters on NBC that he will need a major network like HBO/Showtime to do his big PPV fights so I can see him still doing those type of special fights with Showtime.

HBO made it clear that they do not like Haymon at all and wants nothing more than to get him out of the picture, in the long run Showtime will win out on big PPVs alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users