Photo

Update! (Post#18) Showtime/CBS/CBS Sports Reach Long-Term Boxing Deal!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Yeah I agree with Grover, Haymon isn't stupid, he knows that once he builds up his fighters on NBC that he will need a major network like HBO/Showtime to do his big PPV fights so I can see him still doing those type of special fights with Showtime.

HBO made it clear that they do not like Haymon at all and wants nothing more than to get him out of the picture, in the long run Showtime will win out on big PPVs alone.

Why wouldn't he do PPV's the way the UFC does? UFC doesn't need HBO or Showtime.

#12 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,152 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Yeah I agree with Grover, Haymon isn't stupid, he knows that once he builds up his fighters on NBC that he will need a major network like HBO/Showtime to do his big PPV fights so I can see him still doing those type of special fights with Showtime.

HBO made it clear that they do not like Haymon at all and wants nothing more than to get him out of the picture, in the long run Showtime will win out on big PPVs alone.

That's usually what happens when somebody gets too big and cuts the middle man out

#13 KOpower

KOpower

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Bump. Does Showtime have anything in the works? I think they have Adonis Stevenson in April against a lesser fighter but that isn't official yet.

#14 BigHouseLou

BigHouseLou

Bantamweight

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

i think espinoza said something along the lines of april kicking off regular boxing......but who if not haymon guys is showtime going to air i mean they probably still have the tmt stable, maybe they will bring in some goosen-tudor and some shaw guys. Im sure Showtime will be fine, they have the money behind them to ensure that.  '15 might be a bust for them, because the highest rated non ppv events was obviously Showtime championship boxing and well i think haymon got all the champs on network now

#15 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

This isn't bad for Showtime,

Al Haymon knows that there are far more people watching commercial TV than paying for cable, dish, or U-Verse service.  The potential for boxing to reach a larger audience in boxing can be achieved in this manner.  Not only that, if the commercial TV audience for boxing is decent, more people may subscribe to HBO/Showtime for boxing, and even buy more PPV for super-fights.  Al Haymon will put a mixture of fights on NBC,CBS Sports Network, and Spike in addition to Showtime, and HBO. 

Boxing is about getting general public interest exposure with good quality fights.  Hopefully this system won't just be a "special treat" kind of thing like TNT did years ago and never touched boxing again, or in 1995 when two competitive dates with PPV's Bowe-Holyfield III and Tyson-Mathis fell apart and Tyson-Mathis landed on FOX, but Fox I don't recall FOX doing more boxing.

Haymon has so many fighters in his stable, he's not dumping Showtime, just using more commercial broadcast networks to begin to get the general public interested in boxing that goes beyond the wishful thinking of Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Jack

#16 kej718

kej718

Strawweight

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:11 AM

I think they plan is to build up the fighters on free TV (like a guy like Errol Spence) allowing them to build a following and then make some big fights on showtime / PPV.  I think free TV will give us some big names in good fights and mismatches occasionally (good thing about this is that a lot of Al's fighters have said they want to fight 3-4 times this year).  They can us this to get mandatory challengers out the way.

#17 kej718

kej718

Strawweight

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:13 AM

i think espinoza said something along the lines of april kicking off regular boxing......but who if not haymon guys is showtime going to air i mean they probably still have the tmt stable, maybe they will bring in some goosen-tudor and some shaw guys. Im sure Showtime will be fine, they have the money behind them to ensure that.  '15 might be a bust for them, because the highest rated non ppv events was obviously Showtime championship boxing and well i think haymon got all the champs on network now

Haymon just signed Tyson's fighters too, so that is all I think they have left.  Al has close to 200 fighters so I expect more cards in the future.  There will be a Haymon fighter on every week if he keeps signing fighters at this rate.

#18 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,791 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

Showtime/CBS/CBS Networks agree to multi-year fight deal:

http://www.fightnews...s-showtime-2792

Credit: Fightnews.

Jack

#19 mrchitown

mrchitown

Heavyweight

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

Haymon does it again!

The only real issue I'm having is that he may be doing a time buy on ESPN and that ESPN is rumored to be terminating FNF's. I'm not cool with that at all

#20 BoxingEinstein

BoxingEinstein

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Haymon does it again!
The only real issue I'm having is that he may be doing a time buy on ESPN and that ESPN is rumored to be terminating FNF's. I'm not cool with that at all

I hope not FNF was like what rap basement was to 106 n with Free n AJ back when it was somewhat watchable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users