• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Because plain and simple, Spence is the truth.  Real recognize real and Floyd said it himself too that all these WWs are avoiding him  Haymon and Arum have worked together so why isn't the Pacman taking on Spence?

No, instead we got Manny running way over to some other foreign country looking to fight a nobody and then another nobody before he's claiming he will face Crawford.

Well Spence is there and he's a somebody, why don't the oh so great and I'm not afraid to face anybody Pacquiao take him on instead of this bum nobody knows??

Reason:

Manny knows Spence is the Truth!!

Can't take everything Floyd says seriously. He also said Chad Dawson would be the next big star in boxing, and we all saw how that played out. Lol

• MaxPayne likes this

#12 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

I'm in a few different minds here when it comes to Errol Spence Jr.

I'll start off saying that I love watching the kid. He's got this mix of being smooth and also having vicious, vicious power and very good speed to boot.

I'll also echo the point that Floyd Mayweather is full of shit. Chad Dawson got his soul taken by both Ward and Adonis Chickenshit.

Hell, remember when he anointed Devon Alexander as being the "next big thing" ? Man, the way Alexander's career has fizzled out he'll be lucky to get a job flipping burgers in fucking dusty old St. Louis.

In those fights against Algieri and Bundu, I can remember the sound of Spence's hooks landing to the body. It was sickening on some young Juan Manuel Marquez shit. 

He has service-able defense. A puncher's defense. Some head movement, some parrying, little by way of punch anticipation.

He's also not one of those "jump in and out" style technicians. Granted, that style is extremely tough and very, very few fighters are gifted enough to pull it off.

However, he gets hit because he's in "hunting mode". He's looking to walk you down, slip a few shots here and there, dig his toes into the canvas and unleash thunderbolts on the opponent.

This is a style somewhat similar to GGG. They both appear to have good chins, although I believe that GGG has definitely fought better overall competition and cemented his place as the king of his division.

Spence is very pleasing to the eye. He's well-schooled and has that "IT" factor. What I mean by that is, I can show a Spence fight to someone who has never been into Boxing and they would quickly become engrossed.

Why ? Because with an athletic, well-trained, well-conditioned boxer-puncher with aggression, you're going to get a high punch output and some big, big shots landed. It's exactly what you need to bring in new fans.

Similar to a GGG fight, you know that a fight ending blow from Spence would be half a second away. It keeps audiences on the edge of their seats. 

The same cannot be said for a Mayweather fight, who is more eye candy for purists like myself.

Is the proof in the pudding ? Well, the Spence Bundu fight peaked at more than 6.3 million viewers, which was the highest viewership in 18 years. That's very, very significant.

Now, all of this is immaterial. 

"But Max, you just went off on explaining how this kid is a star-in-the-making and is the real deal !"

Not quite, my dear friends, colleagues and fellow Boxing maniacs.

If you're a KO artist/aggressive fighter then you need to stay aggressive. You need to be on that Marvin Hagler shit. Spence is 27 and should be fighting AT LEAST 4 times a year.

It doesn't matter WHO his opposition is, to be very honest. PBC is behind him and will compensate him handsomely. The key is that he needs to stay active and leaving a trail of semi-conscious bodies in his wake in order to corner these other "top" fighters until they have nowhere else to turn but to fight him.

If people like Thurman, Porter, Garcia, Bradley, etc. etc. will not fight you for whatever reason, then fight guys ranked lower than you.

Fight guys like Carlos Molina, David Avanesyan, Antonio Orozco, Miguel Vazquez, just stay busy.

Because Spence is good enough to beat these guys early and defensively sound enough to not take too much punishment.

People hate on GGG all the time but at MW, he was doing exactly what a fighter of his style should be doing: fighting anyone who's willing and able, until the big names have nowhere else to go but through Golovkin Lane.

So once again, Spence needs to just fight whoever the fuck and eventually the big fights will come. Once you're an established PPV star, then you can fight twice a year and earn that money.

For now, stay busy and put in your time little homey.

• flazi likes this

#13 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Spence is tall, rangy, good reach AND a southpaw that can crack. All bad news for the upper echelon at WW. Add the fact that he's a nasty, committed body puncher. Thurman wants none of that. If you look at the current crop of WW champs, they fit into a mold in terms of size and reach. Pac, Thurman and Garcia are all smallish guys. 5'7" and 67-69" reach. Kell Brook is a bit bigger, but still smaller than Spence. 

Its rumored that Spence KO'd Broner in camp. I've seen footage of Spence and Mayweather. It was extremely competitive. Spence has 72" reach which Floyd rarely sees in pro fights, so Floyd was getting hit uncomfortably. I think Brook may be the only guy at 147 to give Spence a run for his money. Also, quietly, Shawn Porter may give Spence fits because of his ability to fight his way inside to get to Spence. Would love to see Porter/Spence right now. 

#14 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Spence is an all around fighter, I have yet to see a kink in his armor. His personality is boring but dude can fight.

Floyd sucks at spotting talent. The one kid he was supposed to get he lost, Shakur Stevenson. However, I do think he respects Spence, he even told Thurman to fight him.

#15 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Spence is tall, rangy, good reach AND a southpaw that can crack. All bad news for the upper echelon at WW. Add the fact that he's a nasty, committed body puncher. Thurman wants none of that. If you look at the current crop of WW champs, they fit into a mold in terms of size and reach. Pac, Thurman and Garcia are all smallish guys. 5'7" and 67-69" reach. Kell Brook is a bit bigger, but still smaller than Spence. 

Its rumored that Spence KO'd Broner in camp. I've seen footage of Spence and Mayweather. It was extremely competitive. Spence has 72" reach which Floyd rarely sees in pro fights, so Floyd was getting hit uncomfortably. I think Brook may be the only guy at 147 to give Spence a run for his money. Also, quietly, Shawn Porter may give Spence fits because of his ability to fight his way inside to get to Spence. Would love to see Porter/Spence right now. 

Where and how did you see the footage of Floyd and Spence sparring ? 

#16 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

Where and how did you see the footage of Floyd and Spence sparring ? 

May have been somebody's boxing page on youtube. it was taken down fairly quickly.

#17 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:47 AM

May have been somebody's boxing page on youtube. it was taken down fairly quickly.

I'd appreciate it if you could recall, with as much detail as possible, as to how the sparring was going down.

This video (which I don't doubt exists) is a real unicorn in the fight game, so thanks in advance. 

#18 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'd appreciate it if you could recall, with as much detail as possible, as to how the sparring was going down.

This video (which I don't doubt exists) is a real unicorn in the fight game, so thanks in advance. 

The things I took from what I saw was Spence throwing more shots than Floyd could catch. It went back and forth. Spence was throwing very accurate combinations. Floyd would catch a few and get hit pretty solidly. Spence would overstep and get banged back. It was an eager student fighting a patient teacher. Just when you'd think Spence was getting an advantage, he would get hit with something he didnt see coming. 

I remember it being heated and very competitive. It would have made for a very good fight. I was never on the Mayweather bandwagon. After seeing what I saw, I got much more respect for him and his toughness. Also another thing I took from this is that Floyd is a bigger dude than we give credit for. He looked as big a Spence in the ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users