• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

The purse bid by the IBF for their Welterweight Belt has apparently been pushed back by 1 week, because of solid progress being made between the camps of Brook and Spence.

Man oh man, this is exciting as hell...two uber-talented young fighters in their primes coming together for a megafight...

I tend to favor experience in some of these matchups and Brook has shown himself to be quite a talented fighter over the years. Spence at times looks like this invincible wrecking ball, but he's still rather young in his career all things considered.

What do you guys think ? 

• Dolimite likes this

#2 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

I don't trust Kell Brook's mental state, I don't think he cares about legacy, I think he's a quitter, which is why I have Spence winning.

Amir Khan took the Canelo fight out of desperation, he already had many high risk fights prior

Kell Brook only had one high risk fight and still many options to go but decided to go for that high risk, big payday with GGG. He's not a quitter as in like "it's too hard, I don't want it" like say a Victor Ortiz, he's a quitter as in he will quit for the money. He's a sellout until he proves otherwise. 

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,744 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

I don't trust Kell Brook's mental state, I don't think he cares about legacy, I think he's a quitter, which is why I have Spence winning.

Amir Khan took the Canelo fight out of desperation, he already had many high risk fights prior

Kell Brook only had one high risk fight and still many options to go but decided to go for that high risk, big payday with GGG. He's not a quitter as in like "it's too hard, I don't want it" like say a Victor Ortiz, he's a quitter as in he will quit for the money. He's a sellout until he proves otherwise. 

Damn!

So basically, you're saying that he'll whore himself out for big paydays? Lol

#4 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

Boxing, by nature, is a brutal and horrific affair.

All fighters should be focusing on two things: limit the amount of overall damage you take and obtain the greatest amount of financial security that is possible for you and your family.

The interesting thing is that these 2 objectives often have an inverse relationship. That is to say, the more damage you take through being in exciting fights, the easier it will be for promoters to sell you to networks and earn your team that cash money.

This is further augmented if you're someone like Canelo who has a built-in fan base who are willing to spend cash money to see their hero.

In the case of outliers like Floyd, if you have an ability to sell yourself to people who otherwise wouldn't buy (haters who wanted to see him lose), then you can actually be in boring fights and still get that cash money.

So Canelo, who does take some punishment in fights is actually somewhat worse off than Floyd if you think about it, because Floyd earned while taking very little punishment.

I digress though. 

The point being, that it's tough to hate on any fighter who is trying to achieve the above objectives...unless it's causing a disproportionate amount of harm to another fighter. 

Case in point would be, Canelo vs. Josesito Lopez or Amir Khan. Canelo was able to achieve what he needed to but he caused horrific damage to both of those opponents because they were so over-matched, mostly from the size difference.

I think that by taking the GGG fight, Brook was looking to earn the "I can now think of saying fuck you and walk away from it all" money.

Of course, just by fighting GGG it won't earn you the full amount that one would need...however, it would open up doors so that a few more fights of this nature and he could achieve that glorious end goal.

The best case scenario would have been that Brook danced for 12 rounds and lost a decision, while giving a good account of himself.

The way things turned out unfortunately was more of a worst case scenario: not only did Brook get stopped, but he took career-derailing damage through the broken orbital bone.

You could say that GGG is a punk as well for causing derailing damage to fighters in the Middleweight Division who are similarly overmatched like Wade, etc. but that answer depends on who you ask. I've often felt that if you can make a weight class and have performed well, then you're at some point going to have to get in with the Great White Sharks in your division.

It's a tough call. The point is that I hope Kell is fully healed so that he can keep building that money through big fights.

I don't think Spence is worth the danger that he presents given his power and youth, but Brook doesn't seem to have a choice.

Then again, I can see Brook winning the fight so maybe it's Spence who is in danger...

(although I make it a point to not pick against Spence unless he's fighting Terrence Crawford).

• flazi and BrutUalBK like this

#5 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

Damn!

So basically, you're saying that he'll whore himself out for big paydays? Lol

Some are an exception due to rash moments or decisions but that seems to be a reoccurring thing. Whether they are a quitter, sell themselves out, short of elite, glass chin, etc, seems to be within an identity that never changes.

• Cshel86 likes this

#6 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

That will be a big test for both men. Kell will drop down in weight, how will that hurt or help him after his loss to GGG? Will Spence have enough fire power and technique to hurt Kell? Depending on where the fight lands, will both men get a fair shake? Either way, great fight. Winner gets a Charlo

#7 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Well this fight is official so go ahead and make your predictions

#8 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Well this fight is official so go ahead and make your predictions

Not sure why people are giving Spence the W already....I believe the Chocolate Brownie drops him. Brook is more game than people give him credit for. His jab and those uppercuts of his, are underrated. 

• flazi likes this

#9 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

this is a 50/50 fight.  Brook is good at countering and spence leads.  they will walk into each other strengths.  I can't even make a prediction i just can't wait to see the fight.

• Cshel86 likes this

#10 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

It is official, May 20th!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users