• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#71 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

Fightnews said not much happened until the 5th round TKO.

Two judges had it 38-38(x2) and the other had it 39-37 for Wilder. Did not see the fight, but 39-37 Wilder seems to be a biased score. Wilder has side and power, but no skill. Most heavyweights that are decent could beat him provided that they don't get caught. This likely would be Klitschko, unless he's aged too much, Ortiz, which would be a battle of the bombers, I think won by Ortiz, and Joshua beats him if he does not get caught. Will he fight those guys? Will Haymon allow it?

Jack

Ain't that always the issue? 

• BrutUalBK likes this

#72 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

My take is the following:

Wilder simply MUST fight either top five heavyweight contenders, or World Championship Unifications from this point forward.  Ortiz, Parker, the Joshua-Klitchko winner, and so forth.  Other than a sick Stiverne, whom the WBC has just issued is his mandatory for a rematch, there is nobody on Wilder's resume who is even a D/D+ grade fighter.  That is sad.  It's also sad that I had Washington pitching a shutout before Wilder's KO.

Wilder has to insist that Al Haymon give him better quality matches that meet the criteria I posted above.  Otherwise, his championship status will have no merit other than in the WBC and the state of Alabama.  The value of a title is weighted heavily by the level of competition fought in defending that belt. All I see in Wilder at this point in time is a big heavyweight with a cracking punch, but no skills or style.

Jack

#73 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

the thing is, no matter how wild or raw wilder is, the dude packs a wallop in those hands.  not many can handle his power.  We don't know how Joshua's chin will hold up or any other top ranked heavy's chin would hold up to that right hand.  i would like to think that Joshua or ortiz could beat him easily cause of their technique alone but who knows what would happen when they get touched.

#74 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Not sure if I commented on this fight yet, but Wilder really showed his limitations in this fight. He'd be an ordinary fighter if it weren't for that vicious right hand. 

With that further said, I think that fight was fixed, or somewhat intended. How do you go from clearly outboxing someone to "oh I just can't handle the power". The ref didn't even give Washington a chance to recover. Washington didn't even look out of it, he wasn't wobbly. The ref shouldn't stop the fight unless someone visibly looks like they are at risk of brain damage, and Washington didn't give those vibes just yet at the time of the stoppage. They wouldn't even show the replay of the KO after the fight, that's REAL suspect. 

#75 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

My take is the following:

Wilder simply MUST fight either top five heavyweight contenders, or World Championship Unifications from this point forward.  Ortiz, Parker, the Joshua-Klitchko winner, and so forth.  Other than a sick Stiverne, whom the WBC has just issued is his mandatory for a rematch, there is nobody on Wilder's resume who is even a D/D+ grade fighter.  That is sad.  It's also sad that I had Washington pitching a shutout before Wilder's KO.

Wilder has to insist that Al Haymon give him better quality matches that meet the criteria I posted above.  Otherwise, his championship status will have no merit other than in the WBC and the state of Alabama.  The value of a title is weighted heavily by the level of competition fought in defending that belt. All I see in Wilder at this point in time is a big heavyweight with a cracking punch, but no skills or style.

Jack

I usually agree with you, Jack. However, I think you're being a little too hard on Wilder and your expectations are a bit far fetched. 

The guys that you named that Wilder should fight, have handlers also....it's just not up to Haymon and Wilder. Hell, wasn't he supposed to fight Povetkin last summer? What happened there? The guy tested positive to PEDs. Wasn't Povetkin supposed to fight Stiverne a few months ago? What happened there? Again, Povetkin tested positive for PEDs. 

Whose fault was it that Stiverne was sick going into the Wilder fight? Nobody's. As far as I'm concerned, Stiverne is making excuses. We can't say that Arreola is a D+ fighter when most gave Stiverne credit for KO'ing him, which gave him (Stiverne) a title shot at Wilder. Didn't most observers believe that Stiverne was gonna expose Wilder for being exactly what you labeled him....a big HW with a cracking punch and no skills or style?

We can't have to both ways, honestly....we just can't. As far as I'm concerned, Wilder is giving boxing what it needs right now....knockouts! Isn't that what casual fans want? As far as what "hardcore" boxing fans want/expect from the sport, I could two craps what they want. 

Why? Look at the numbers for Kovalev/Ward. Deplorable....especially for a fight that ALL boxing fans were clamoring over. Again, deplorable. What about GGG/Lemieux's numbers? Again, deplorable. What do boxing fans do when we get free fights on network TV? Complain, as always....never fails. 

Point is, we can't all have what we want, when we want it. Furthermore, we can stop blaming the "lackluster" turnout of Mayweather/Pacquiao a couple of years ago....boxing fans and their deplorable efforts to make the sport bigger, predated that fight. 

I say that Wilder needs to keep doing what he's doing. Boxing fans love you when you're hot and hate you when you're cold. 

• flazi likes this

#76 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

First of all, Wilder needs to get rid of that horrible hair-cut/style/thing on his head.

Second of all, I think at this point, this is the best he'll ever be.

There's no real sense in "waiting it out" like Canelo is doing with GGG because AJ and Parker are young and only getting better.

I don't know about Parker, but I think Joshua works Wilder and puts a pretty terrible beating on him. Fundamentals are too good and his punches are every bit the shotgun blasts that Wilder's are.

Tyson Fury is young too and on a skills basis, he boxes circles around every major Heavyweight in the world. If he gets his life together, he'll come back and win all of those titles.

Anyways, maybe a matchup with either Luis Ortiz or Pulev is on the cards ? Pulev would probably take a dirt nap, but Ortiz would be a great fight because he's so skilled.

Not to sound too much like a hater, but this was a disappointing performance from Wilder. He got the KO but his lack of skills and discipline were glaring. 

#77 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

No one in this generation of heavyweights are going to "expose" Wilder. Majority of the current heavyweights are big, unathletic power punchers with no skill. That's why the Klitschkos stayed on top for so many years, because they primed at the dusk of the last generation. Last generation of heavyweights were way better than this current generation. 

AJ is more athletic and more reflex responsive but lol if you think he's going to box circles around Wilder. Only way he's even getting past Klitschko is if his Tyson Fury performance was more than a fluke. Wilder is going to probably stay on top until he declines altogether, and that isn't even saying much, because I like Wilder has a person, but gotta admit he aint shit as a fighter but a tremendously big puncher with a whole lot of reach and size. 

• flazi likes this

#78 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:29 AM

That's the whole point though.

Bitchko at this age, doesn't have the legs to do it. On top of that, the most important aspect that was exposed during the Fury fight was that he can't pull the trigger.

It happens a lot to older fighters. Their eyes see the opening, but the opening is closed before they can let them thangs go. 

Here's another critical point: by the time Bitchko steps into the ring, he will have been out of the ring for 17 months.

That ring rust maing ? It's a motherfucker ESPECIALLY for older fighters.

I fully expect Joshua to end Bitchko's career. I'm amazed that they even took the fight.

Ya'll can call me crazy all ya'll want, but Bitchko had a better chance of beating Wilder than he does of beating Joshua.

He'll get stretched out against Joshua. I actually fear for his health. That boy Joshua is a bad, bad motherfucker. 

#79 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:59 AM

It's not a question of "exposing" Wilder.

See, Wilder is what he is: a guy who got into the sport really late, who gets by on his exceptional athletic gifts and careful match-making.

We've seen the impact of skill and technique in the sport of Boxing for literally decades. We've watched tough fighters with crazy KO power get led around the ring on a zombie walk and countered/tied up left and right to a point where they lose a decision of even get stopped late in the fight.

Now let's talk about Joshua and Wilder.

Wilder is taller and has a longer reach than Joshua by a grand total of just 1 inch.

I would argue that by the end of 2017, Joshua will not only have faced better overall opposition than Wilder but will have won his matches in more impressive fashion.

Wilder appears to have better 1 punch KO power, but his technique is sloppy a lot of the time and Joshua seems to be more accurate and more composed at picking his shots.

So you have 2 fighters who have similar athletic gifts, similar size, but one is more skilled than the other. No matter how you slice up this turkey, that means Joshua would appear to have a decisive advantage.

For now though, Wilder has some claim as the, um, UNDISPUTE champion that he wants to be haha.

#80 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

I'm not hating. I like Wilder a lot.

As a person and as a fighter.

He's the kind of guy who you cheer for and want good things to happen to him because he has a lot of endearing qualities and he wants to fight the best guys out there (went to Russia to go up against a juiced up Povetkin) and has an entertaining style.

My boy Shels likes to joke around about him being so damned country but for some reason, I love it. Just makes me smile. 

My lead trainer is actually a pretty big Wilder fan. Now, this trainer is quite a "skills and technique" guy as most trainers are, but he always says that he just enjoys the purpose and will that Wilder shows in the ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users