Photo

CBS@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT)-Thurman vs. Garcia-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#111 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Not trying to sound bitter because Im by no means a Danny Garcia fan AND I wasn't upset with the decision. The rounds could have gone either way. I actually had it a draw. That being said, while I'd like to see a rematch, this fight was disturbing to me. Most of those reasons have to do with Keith Thurman and not Danny Garcia. My thoughts from last night:

A. Even though I began to see the contrary a few fights ago, I too thought Keith was "special." I thought he had gifts that other fighters, in a very stacked division might I add, simply didn't have. Now, Im not so sure. He has fast hands, but last night showed they aren't nearly the fastest. Danny beat him to the punch and to counters early and often. He hits hard, but his power has proved, in his big fights against top competition, to be overrated. He'll stun you, but against the top tier guys, he doesn't put them out or even drop them. Instead of looking like a monstrous superstar in the making that he began his career as, Keith is looking more like a talented 154 fighter who just happens to be able to make 147. That's ok too, but instead of becoming the clear top dog in the division, to me, it just became more wide open.

B. I'm more and more annoyed with how scoring rounds are perceived. IT IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT WHO WAS BUSIER. You have to actually land. In a many of those early rounds, Thurman was throwing some flashy heat, and it was being blocked. If it weren't for Thurman turning on the gas at the end of rounds, I would have scored most of the close ones for Danny. DEFENSE NEEDS TO BE SCORED. It's part of the official criteria of scoring rounds. It's not just there for fighters to protect themselves. MAKING PEOPLE MISS NEEDS TO BE FACTORED INTO YOUR SCORECARD. 

C. Keith, for all the talk and physical gifts, was supposed to hunt and kill Danny. Danny is the natural 140 lber moving up. You're the guy with heat in both fist and the speed to get it there in a hurry. And the last 3-4 rounds you resort to back peddling? Look. I'm ALL FOR boxing, sticking and moving. Shit, I'm a Floyd fan. But what Keith did in those last 2 rounds was straight up running. 

D. I would love to see a rematch but I hate watching fights where I can't determine who was the better man or even who had the better "stuff" that night. I walked away knowing less about Thurman than I ever have. Garcia at least proved to me he can bang with 147 lbers. Im normally unimpressed with him, but I have to say, his skills are underrated. He's not just a blind hooker  :resent: (that sounds weird). He can actually box and his defense is improved.  I look forward to seeing who he fights

E. If not a rematch, I hope both guys don't sully the progress Al Haymon has made in getting quality matches. Warm ups are for leftovers and layup lines Danny. Stay in the gym, don't have layoffs, and fight quality opponents. Period. As for Keith, nobody is going to "thuck you thun" any longer. I don't wanna see you fighting some random mfer in your next fight. 

Danny could not get a solid round. At times Danny wouldn't even throw. Fuck cutting off the ring and setting traps. I am not upset at the outcome. People wanted both fighters to do X,Y,Z but sometimes it doesn't happen. I wasn't please that in the championship rounds Keith did a Lara, however if he felt he could give those rounds up, who am I? Danny took some shots but I didn't see where he dominated the fight. Keith for most of the fight imposed his will. Angel never made one fuckin adjustment. It was wrong fot Keith's trainer to tell him in round 9 that he was going home with 2 belts. I think that is what made Keith lax. Either way I ain't mad at the outcome. Danny does belong at 147.

I understand Boxing way more than MMA but my issue is this; if I watch an MMA fight, especially one that is popular, and it's close, there isn't a clear victor, no one got their ass whooped, I would say, "this guy won the fight", and I go to any MMA community or forum and 9 times out of 10, this is the majority agreement among fans, regardless what the judges/officiating says. Now these same fights in Boxing, popular, close fights, no clear victor, no one got their block knocked off, it always comes down to this bullshit. I would say this guy won the fight, and I go to the Boxing community or forums anywhere, and the fans and viewers are just split up and down. The way the majority of people score fights in Boxing makes NO sense. You score the fight based off who is the more dominant, who is more in control based of the scoring criteria, you use each criteria to simultaneously determine this. MMA works the exact same way, except you have to account for more like grappling and ground fighting/positions. The way people score Boxing always comes down to fanboyism, nitpicking, and trying to fit some type of agenda/narrative, and it's annoying af. We have the more gentleman's sport, so why in what world can't fans and officiating ever see eye to eye when it comes to scoring fights? 

I mean, I watch these fights, Pacquiao-Bradley I, Canelo-Trout, Canelo-Lara, Kovalev-Ward, Garcia-Thurman, and so on, and I see a victor, some can be too close to tell so a draw would be fair, but yet, people are always saying, "This guy clearly won the fight, it wasn't even close". I pick the guy that won, and everyone is telling me I'm wrong. But YET, this exact same thing happens in MMA, and the guy I usually pick is the majority agreement among viewers. WHY? I don't understand MMA nearly as well as I do Boxing, so are Boxing fans going to sit here and tell me I don't know shit about Boxing? I mean...this has got to stop. People need to take a scoring class, a deprejudice class, and learn how to score fights, this is disgusting to me, it's clear as day most people in Boxing have no idea how to score a fight. I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but it clearly makes no sense.

As far as the future for both these fighters. Danny deserves a rematch, even though most-likely he's not going to get one. Thurman should give him a rematch, he's not ready for Brook or Spence. Brook is basically a better version of Danny, and Errol Spence is the future of the Welterweight division, more than likely. 

#112 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

i gotta say i lost alot of respect for keith thurman. i thought danny clearly outclassed him and stepped up big in this fight. i was sitting close to the ring, and besides that first round where keith landed a right hand while danny was throwing a left hook and caught him while he was turning, keiths shots hit mostly gloves and arms from like round 4 on. i thouhgt danny garcia displayed much iumproved defense, footwork, upper body movement, excellent pivoting, and jabbing. just voerall absolutely outclassed keif when it came to boxing. keith was running in circles looking for a big punch the entire fight after that first 3 rounds and it just didnt work. the entire stadium was booing him. the stadium erupted with danny chants after he won about 2 -3 rounds in a row. now keith came back and had two good championship rounds, but he didnt clearly win a single round IMO. i thought it should have been a draw just for the sake of all those veru close rounds. it as unfair to have an undefeated chamipn lose his tits in a fuckin unification by a pathetic split decision ith boos raining down on him because theold senile men judging this fight cant see shit.

we need to have former fighter score these cards. have 2 official judges, then 1 retired fighter or something. it would also help these broke ass old fighters to get a small payday for helping out and really scoring these properly. im just very dissapointed in keith thurmans performance the last 2 fights. porter and garcia i think he really didnt display anything new, he has not improved IMO for the last 2 years. i honestly cannot wait to see if he gets stopped by an errol spence. i wanna see garcia broner next

• sduck likes this

#113 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

i basically agree with everyone's posts except dolomite, which most people on here. danny won the fight. this was a boxing lesson. look at keiths face at the end of round 8 or 9 watever it was, he looked incredibly frustrated. i mean he threw a 6 pounch combo at danny and missed every single shot, 

people need to remember hat boxing actually is. its not just clean effective punching, and landing one big shot IMO does not overrule 8 solid punches on the chin from the other guy unless it clearly stuns and hurts him, and that simply was not the case. i thought danny had much bettter ring generalship, when keith tried to press, danny moved, turned, dfended, and pivoted. and also threw some excellent timing jabs as keith was trying to launch one of his big useless windmill combinations. kieht moved around in circles clearly taking his breath and doing next to nothing. those moments when danny was inactive, he was chasing thurman down and being the effective aggressor in the fight. he absolutely clearly 100% won the counterpunch battle. keith was getting hit flush at the end of most of the exchanges when he tried to brawl toe to toe with danny. same thing with mathysse and khan. if you wanna bral with danny you better be able to pivot out, and keith couldnt do that. i saw a little  floyd move danny did after throwing a right hand, he ducked down and pivoted out like floyd did against marquezs. i was amazed when i saw that cuz u see ho much better danny has gotten. 

i just thought danny had clearly won on all the criteria except big shots. i thought he outlanded keith in jabs and power shots, they werent stunning shots, but this is sport is boxing not fighting. danny won the defensive battle by a landslide, he controlled the ring for more than half the fight, mostly because thurman decided to coast like a bum. anytme a fighte coasts he deserves to lose i dont care how well he did. boxing has proven this over the years, de la hoya trinidad stands out to me. garcia on the jab battle clearly, and he countered more effectively. i also thought he controlled the fight down the stretch with his defense, aggravating thurman and exposing his one dimensional garbage. if thats the best kieht has to offer, hes in serious trouble against brook or spence. and god forbid floyd mayweather gets bored and wants his belts back, keith will be humiliated like guererro.

• sduck likes this

#114 MAHDI

MAHDI

Super Featherweight

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

I had it for Garcia 6-5-1 (10th round even.)  He was better at timing and precision.  Keith at times did not throw enough.  He threw some hard shots and made it close, made it tight.  Danny should have won though.

Jack

I felt Garcia's defense was great and got better as the fight went on. I had him the clear victor. Run time was doing a poor man's mayweather impersonation absent the accurate punching and standing in the pocket. I thought it was a shit performance by Thurman

#115 MAHDI

MAHDI

Super Featherweight

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

i gotta say i lost alot of respect for keith thurman. i thought danny clearly outclassed him and stepped up big in this fight. i was sitting close to the ring, and besides that first round where keith landed a right hand while danny was throwing a left hook and caught him while he was turning, keiths shots hit mostly gloves and arms from like round 4 on. i thouhgt danny garcia displayed much iumproved defense, footwork, upper body movement, excellent pivoting, and jabbing. just voerall absolutely outclassed keif when it came to boxing. keith was running in circles looking for a big punch the entire fight after that first 3 rounds and it just didnt work. the entire stadium was booing him. the stadium erupted with danny chants after he won about 2 -3 rounds in a row. now keith came back and had two good championship rounds, but he didnt clearly win a single round IMO. i thought it should have been a draw just for the sake of all those veru close rounds. it as unfair to have an undefeated chamipn lose his tits in a fuckin unification by a pathetic split decision ith boos raining down on him because theold senile men judging this fight cant see shit.

we need to have former fighter score these cards. have 2 official judges, then 1 retired fighter or something. it would also help these broke ass old fighters to get a small payday for helping out and really scoring these properly. im just very dissapointed in keith thurmans performance the last 2 fights. porter and garcia i think he really didnt display anything new, he has not improved IMO for the last 2 years. i honestly cannot wait to see if he gets stopped by an errol spence. i wanna see garcia broner next

This was clear and plain to see.. That poor man's Mayweather shit was horrible to watch.. 

#116 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Again, watching the fight, I can't see what Danny did to win. He didn't have ring generalship, he didn't cut off the ring, never imposed his will. Keith hurt Danny a few times, made Danny back up. I didn't agree with him taken rounds off but shit, he did what he thought was best. Danny didn't win that fight. His defense has improved

Edited by Dolimite, 06 March 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#117 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

I thought Thurman barely won the fight. Thought it should have been a very close unanimous decision victory for him. Don't think DSG did enough offensively to win many rounds. Gotta let them hands go more. Thurman did live up to his new nickname "Run-Time." I think both Spence and Brook best him. I do wanna see a rematch, even though there wasn't a rematch clause in this fight.

#118 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I wanna see Danny vs Broner  

#119 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

According to Angel Garcia, you have to be from Philly to have a big dick

http://deadspin.com/...om-p-1792987258

#120 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

I haven't seen the fight again since last night....had house full of people and I was drunk as a skunk. I've been nursing a hangover all day, but I've got a chance to read around for people's reactions. 

I've been reading that Danny should have 3 losses on his record by now, whatever. I've been reading how Danny should've gotten the nod, it should've been a draw, Thurman didn't do enough....a whole bunch of mixed reviews. 

From what I remember yesterday, not all that much happened in the fight. Keith appeared to be the aggressor, but a lot of those shots were blocked. Danny didn't do all that much in certain rounds, but Keith didn't fully control every round either. 

I just don't know man...Keith has sold us a dream and I just realized that this dude has stopped an opponent in 3 years....since the Diaz fight. From what I remember, Diaz's corner that fight between rounds because of a rib injury....so we can say that it's been nearly 4 years since this guy stopped somebody. The same thing happened in the Collazo fight with the cut.

If you ask me, Thurman is Mr. Bait & Switch...he advertises himself as a knockout puncher, but comes into the fight and runs and shit. One thing I've noticed, is that lately, a lot of guys aren't willing to just go in there and try to blast Danny out, that's saying something there.

Again, Keith has been selling us dreams for years, and it's time to wake up. If anything, the boxing fans were robbed because they were led to believe that Danny was gonna be decked and stopped, but Keith couldn't get the job done. I mean, what was stopping him? Since his opposition has gotten better, he hasn't been knocking guys out. 

As for the scoring, it's a tale as old as time and at the end of the day, it's subjective.  If you have a guy who is supposed to be dropping and stopping everybody, but can't seem to do it....at some point, the judges are either gonna get upset and give rounds to the other guy, or actually notice that the other guy is making subtle changes to turn the tide of the fight. 

The same thing happened in the Kovalev/Ward fight a few months ago. Kovalev couldn't finish Ward off, Ward got comfortable and changed the tide of the fight, and shit got ugly on the cards. Preconceived notions that guy with punching power holds all the cards before the opening bell, often leads to results like this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users