• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

OK, so this isnt so much about the fight between Garcia and Thurman as much as it is about the repercussions from the fight.  First, I want to say that my opinion isn't meant to be any disrespect toward the sport or its athletes, as I know that there is skill in the defensive aspect of this sport.  I also know that going into that ring and bringing it for 12 rounds is no easy task and I have great respect for the athletes in this sport.  That being said, I have to try and be objective in that "casual boxing fans" do play an important part in the success of this sport.

There was a great opportunity this past Saturday to gain the respect of many people for this sport.  Not only gain respect but also open eyes and create new fans.  This CBS fight was on paper was the biggest free network fight that I can remember in a long time, a title fight for the unification of the welterweight division!!  However, as someone wanting to see boxing rightfully take its spot back over MMA and become a mainstream powerhouse that it once was I was very disappointed in the Garcia Thurman fight.  Maybe it was because I was in a large sports bar at the time and right next to the CBS fight was a MMA fight with blood all over the ring, clothes and opponents.  Maybe it was because I couldnt hear the sound.  Whatever the case may be the fight, relatively speaking, was a boring snooze-fest and did nothing to move this sport forward in the eyes of popular opinion.

The stage was set, literally.  Didnt these guys get the memo?  

Am I on an island on this one?  Were my expectations too high?  Did this fight do more damage than good in regard to advancing the sport to its former glory? 

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

I don't think boxing lost a lot of casual fans this weekend. There were only two televised fights. They probably should have showed the Dawson vs Fonfara. The Lubin fight was decent enough and ended in a KO. That would have put 2 KO fights on broadcast tv. The main event was decent, but with all the trash talk by both camps, most folks expected more action. It is what it is. Sometimes, you just don't get action fights when two top guys face each other.

As for the UFC, the main event STUNK! The co-main event got cancelled due to Khabib having medical issues trying to cut weight. That's the fight most wanted to see. As for MMA, people want to see blood and guts, but some of the guys don't have skills. It's just 2 guys wildly swinging and kicking, hardly any defense. Most of that blood was from one guy who got his eye/head busted up. The Overeem KO of Hunt was nice, but overall, the card wasn't great. MMA may have lost some fans also. It wasn't a great night for either sport, if you're just a casual fan.

I think boxing could have had a better broadcast. Sugar Ray STUNK! DSG and Run-Time did what they did and it was on free tv. Can't complain about that. You can't beat free. I think PBC has been putting in decent fights on TV on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Casuals are gonna be casuals. They won't be happy until someone dies in the ring. Boxing fans are their own worst enemy. Everything doesn't have to be a brawl. It is still the sweet science and a lot of folks don't realize that. I like it all and I was rooting for DSG. I thought he lost the fight cause he didn't let his hands go enough. Run-Time didn't impress me, but he stole some rounds and ran some. It was a hard fight to judge. Maybe, the announcers should do a better job of explaining the criteria for judging a fight. If they do that, maybe the casuals will understand the sport better.

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Boxing fans are their own worst enemy.

Took the words right outta my mouth! I've been saying that for a while now, and at this point, I'm blue in the face. 

Boxing fans ask for shit, then still find a reason to complain about it. We ask for the best to fight the best, we get the fights, and look what happens.

1. We want GGG to be bigest next big star, but only about 100k people bought the Lemiuex fight.

2. We want an undisputed champ at 175....rougly 150k bought the Ward/Kovalev fight. Most of the bitches that complained about the fight, didn't even buy it. How does that work? Now we're publicly trashing an unified champ at 175 because he wasn't the one that we wanted to win. Bullcrap. 

3. We complained about the "mismatch" cards that Haymon puts on, but somehow, someway, the Garcia/Salka tripleheader pulled in 800k views. Somehow, the Jack/DeGale fight only pulled in half of that....and that was a unification bout. Sad.

4. We hate Floyd and want him to retire for good, but we entertain the idea of a stupid McGregor fight, and still make fantasy fight threads. 

5. We complained about PPV prices being so high, but complain about FREE boxing and ask for ALL big fights....but don't wanna pay. Go figure. You gotta pay to play.

6. We're mad at the results of Thurman/Garcia, but nobody wants to admit that there's something special about Garcia, because Keith couldn't go out there and blast through him. Had he done exactly that, Keith would've immediately become "the truth", but nobody would've given Danny credit. How can a man be labeled "the truth" after knocking out a "bum", as most have called Danny over the years. Still confused about that one. 

7. We want to keep the sport alive, but we publicly trash it on social media when a fight doesn't go our way.

8. We call ourselves real boxing fans, but get upset with the outcome of a fight when it doesn't live up to the advertisements. Some of these "fans" aren't even smart enough to know how the sweet science works, and realize that those KO highlight real commercials and social media posts are for those who don't know who the fighters are. Sad.

9. We ask for unification bouts, but only 450k people tuned in to the DeGale/Jack unification bout...but still found a way to get upset about the decision. We got that same 450k buys for the Matinez/Chavez fight....a fight that everyone begged for. 

10. We as boxing fans complain about the same nagging issues that we create. Go figure. 

No surprise here. 

PS: If you wanna be upset with Garcia/Thurman, take it out on Keith like people do Floyd when his fight turns out the be "boring". Keith's the one with all of the "power", movement, and skills....against a flat-footed Danny who only seems to know how to throw a left hook all while not knowing how to cut off the ring. If you ask me, you're SUPPOSED to either dominate and/or knock out a guy like that. But what do I know? I'm just a boxing fan. 

:drag:

• The Original MrFactor, flazi, sduck and 2 others like this

#4 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

meh I dont care about the fact it wasnt "The War". I just want fighters to face each other and they did. I got to enjoy Haye vs Bellew the whole thing had me on the edge of my seat.

• Cshel86 likes this

#5 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

What the hell kind of war were people expecting? You got two undefeated boxer-punchers who are both quite considerably BIG punchers. Why in the hell would either of them sell out for "the fans" when their careers are on the line? It was a good fight for the stakes of it alone, as for the fight itself, if you're a real boxing fan, you saw two skilled fighters putting on their best performances when the stakes are that high.

I was a bit disappointed in the results, actually more disappointed in the fan reactions. It was a good fight, and as Cshel said, it's the fans that ruin this sport. Sports fans love their sport, look at the amount of love other fans give to their sports. Boxing fans majorly like the legacy of boxing, they don't actually like boxing, and the numbers and reactions to big fights prove this.

• Cshel86 and Dolimite like this

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

meh I dont care about the fact it wasnt "The War". I just want fighters to face each other and they did. I got to enjoy Haye vs Bellew the whole thing had me on the edge of my seat.

I need to watch the Haye/Bellew fight....I only saw the highlights. Haye was top heavy like a motherf*cker though....he was shaped like Hoghorn Leghorn. 

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

What the hell kind of war were people expecting? You got two undefeated boxer-punchers who are both quite considerably BIG punchers. Why in the hell would either of them sell out for "the fans" when their careers are on the line? It was a good fight for the stakes of it alone, as for the fight itself, if you're a real boxing fan, you saw two skilled fighters putting on their best performances when the stakes are that high.

I was a bit disappointed in the results, actually more disappointed in the fan reactions. It was a good fight, and as Cshel said, it's the fans that ruin this sport. Sports fans love their sport, look at the amount of love other fans give to their sports. Boxing fans majorly like the legacy of boxing, they don't actually like boxing, and the numbers and reactions to big fights prove this.

They were expecting the same type of "war" that Mayweather/Pacquiao was supposed to give us, lol. 

Yes, both Keith and Danny are boxer/punchers who were undefeated with their careers on the lines. I didn't expect a knockdown drag-out at all, but people think that when their records and knockouts are advertised. 

Not generalize here, but New York fans are THE worst when it comes to boxing matches. They used to blow me when Cotto fought, they could give two craps about anybody that fought on the undercard and would boo until the main event came on. 

They were no different this past Saturday night, they wanted blood and guts, to no avail. They have to be the worst live boxing fans. 

#8 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

OK, so this isnt so much about the fight between Garcia and Thurman as much as it is about the repercussions from the fight.  First, I want to say that my opinion isn't meant to be any disrespect toward the sport or its athletes, as I know that there is skill in the defensive aspect of this sport.  I also know that going into that ring and bringing it for 12 rounds is no easy task and I have great respect for the athletes in this sport.  That being said, I have to try and be objective in that "casual boxing fans" do play an important part in the success of this sport.

There was a great opportunity this past Saturday to gain the respect of many people for this sport.  Not only gain respect but also open eyes and create new fans.  This CBS fight was on paper was the biggest free network fight that I can remember in a long time, a title fight for the unification of the welterweight division!!  However, as someone wanting to see boxing rightfully take its spot back over MMA and become a mainstream powerhouse that it once was I was very disappointed in the Garcia Thurman fight.  Maybe it was because I was in a large sports bar at the time and right next to the CBS fight was a MMA fight with blood all over the ring, clothes and opponents.  Maybe it was because I couldnt hear the sound.  Whatever the case may be the fight, relatively speaking, was a boring snooze-fest and did nothing to move this sport forward in the eyes of popular opinion.

The stage was set, literally.  Didnt these guys get the memo?  

Am I on an island on this one?  Were my expectations too high?  Did this fight do more damage than good in regard to advancing the sport to its former glory? 

The Lubin fight kinda evened the night out IMHO, he pasted the guy and anyone who was watching won't forget that despite the borefest that Garcia vs Thurman was.

• Dolimite likes this

#9 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

This is what happens more often than not when you have 2 dudes who are just evenly matched.

Combat Sports as a whole, including the UFC has been declining. 

Think about it. The trajectory that the UFC was on as early as 8 - 9 years ago is nowhere near where they are now. Their growth has largely tapered off, no matter how you want to slice and dice the numbers.

Looking at the hype back then, you would think that in 10 years, 2 no-name, unranked motherfuckers would be fighting and they'd be able to sell 1 M PPV buys.

Rousey is gone and without Conor, they can't break 1 MM buys. Everyone else is a scrub essentially.

Ergo, Combat Sports as a whole is suffering from a public perception point of view because it's a pussy ass SJW world we live in with constant triggering and safe space requirements. They don't like that "barbaric fighting" because they're a bunch prissy little girls. 

#10 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

Boxing has been "dead" for well over 25 years at this point.

You could argue that the end of the Tyson era was pretty much the end of Boxing as a "mainstream" sport, but here we are decades later and there are still exciting young fighters going out there and doing their thing.

Yes, it would have been preferable for Thurman and Garcia to go out there and have a barn buster of a fight, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

You have to remember that beyond a handful of sports, for smaller guys anywhere from 100 lbs. to Light Heavyweight, there aren't a whole lot of career options.

There are only so many guys who can be Point Guards, Defensive Backs, Receivers and Soccer players.

The Heavyweight division, even with major talent drain to other sports STILL has plenty of compelling fighters and fights happening.

Also, we have to focus on the long term game.

What I mean by that is, MMA has stagnated. It suffers from fighter unrest due to low wages and lack of sponsorship freedom.

Until 1-2 years ago, they could make the claim that they made the most compelling match-ups but that was before this Conor era bullshit began. 

Lastly, with the amount of gruesome injuries, bloodshed and broken bones that happen in MMA as opposed to Boxing, there will always be a segment of the populace that would never be able to handle it.

So looking at the long term, you notice that Boxing has a bunch of advantages over MMA right out the gate. They suffer from some of the same evils, but Boxing has things that MMA doesn't.

We'll be fine. We've been fine for decades and we'll continue to do just that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users