• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

This is what happens more often than not when you have 2 dudes who are just evenly matched.

Combat Sports as a whole, including the UFC has been declining. 

Think about it. The trajectory that the UFC was on as early as 8 - 9 years ago is nowhere near where they are now. Their growth has largely tapered off, no matter how you want to slice and dice the numbers.

Looking at the hype back then, you would think that in 10 years, 2 no-name, unranked motherfuckers would be fighting and they'd be able to sell 1 M PPV buys.

Rousey is gone and without Conor, they can't break 1 MM buys. Everyone else is a scrub essentially.

Ergo, Combat Sports as a whole is suffering from a public perception point of view because it's a pussy ass SJW world we live in with constant triggering and safe space requirements. They don't like that "barbaric fighting" because they're a bunch prissy little girls. 

It's very wrong to say that everyone else is a scrub in the UFC just because they don't have the namesake to match Conor or Rousey, the fact of the matter is that there are some very good fighters who just haven't gotten the proper fights or representation they should be getting.

Dana White is a businessman so he'd readily bring back an aged Chuck Liddell just because he knows it will bring the crowd around rather then wait and develop a new improved version of him in some up and coming fighter.

Big names doesn't equate to the best in most cases, it just equates to who's more popular at the moment.  The UFC is nothing like it used to be back in the old days in terms of skills, these fighters today are mostly MMA and not simply well-versed in one martial art or one dimensional by any means.

I wish i wasn't as old as I am today because I'd love to get into the Octagon and compete, I know more than one martial art and could see myself being successful in this day and age if I was at that age group.

Boxing is what boxing has always been, the problem with this sport is that you get written off too quickly if you have a string of losses.  At least in the UFC you can have a series of losses but still be placed on the bottom end card of someone who has a big name and you never get written off as long as you eventually win a fight or make the fights you enter very entertaining.

#12 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Sorry, by scrub I meant, from a promotional perspective, they simply can't pull the weight that guys like Conor can.

I think there are very good fighters out there, but the sport is still decades away from actually being athletically relevant.

Too many of these idiots cut 20 pounds the week of the fight, which is so bad for your kidneys and body in general, whereas Boxers (unless your name is Chavez Jr.) start their cuts much, much earlier. 

#13 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Took the words right outta my mouth! I've been saying that for a while now, and at this point, I'm blue in the face. 

Boxing fans ask for shit, then still find a reason to complain about it. We ask for the best to fight the best, we get the fights, and look what happens.

1. We want GGG to be bigest next big star, but only about 100k people bought the Lemiuex fight.

2. We want an undisputed champ at 175....rougly 150k bought the Ward/Kovalev fight. Most of the bitches that complained about the fight, didn't even buy it. How does that work? Now we're publicly trashing an unified champ at 175 because he wasn't the one that we wanted to win. Bullcrap. 

3. We complained about the "mismatch" cards that Haymon puts on, but somehow, someway, the Garcia/Salka tripleheader pulled in 800k views. Somehow, the Jack/DeGale fight only pulled in half of that....and that was a unification bout. Sad.

4. We hate Floyd and want him to retire for good, but we entertain the idea of a stupid McGregor fight, and still make fantasy fight threads. 

5. We complained about PPV prices being so high, but complain about FREE boxing and ask for ALL big fights....but don't wanna pay. Go figure. You gotta pay to play.

6. We're mad at the results of Thurman/Garcia, but nobody wants to admit that there's something special about Garcia, because Keith couldn't go out there and blast through him. Had he done exactly that, Keith would've immediately become "the truth", but nobody would've given Danny credit. How can a man be labeled "the truth" after knocking out a "bum", as most have called Danny over the years. Still confused about that one. 

7. We want to keep the sport alive, but we publicly trash it on social media when a fight doesn't go our way.

8. We call ourselves real boxing fans, but get upset with the outcome of a fight when it doesn't live up to the advertisements. Some of these "fans" aren't even smart enough to know how the sweet science works, and realize that those KO highlight real commercials and social media posts are for those who don't know who the fighters are. Sad.

9. We ask for unification bouts, but only 450k people tuned in to the DeGale/Jack unification bout...but still found a way to get upset about the decision. We got that same 450k buys for the Matinez/Chavez fight....a fight that everyone begged for. 

10. We as boxing fans complain about the same nagging issues that we create. Go figure. 

No surprise here. 

PS: If you wanna be upset with Garcia/Thurman, take it out on Keith like people do Floyd when his fight turns out the be "boring". Keith's the one with all of the "power", movement, and skills....against a flat-footed Danny who only seems to know how to throw a left hook all while not knowing how to cut off the ring. If you ask me, you're SUPPOSED to either dominate and/or knock out a guy like that. But what do I know? I'm just a boxing fan. 

:drag:

Well, I can’t say that I’m surprised by the reactions to my post.  The sport of boxing is about fighting and that same type of philosophy definitely holds true for this boxing message board.  That being the case, I stand by my critique of the fight in that it ultimately did nothing to progress the sport forward.  I was ultimately disappointed in the action because again, it was a real opportunity to bring interest back to this sport for the masses.  Had this fight been on Showtime or HBO or even NBC daytime I probably wouldn’t have felt the way that I did after watching it. 

As much as I want to say and/or maybe even believe that I’m not defending myself from having to prove that I’m not a “casual boxing fan” I usually end up feeling like I am.  One thing this board does well is if an opinion differs from that of your own, there many times seems like a very real attempt to criticize that difference of opinion to the point that the it came from a lack of boxing knowledge.  It’s very elitist around here but it always has been so I’m not surprised or even upset by it.  I’ve been on these boards for many years back to the days of boxinqtalk, in fact I think I first found boxinqtalk about the time the rumors started to swell about RJJ possibly fighting for a heavyweight title.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that I expected the “backlash” towards my post and it’s probably the reason why I even posted it to begin with.  I like a good “fight” and I’m very much built for this shit.  So in the words of Apollo Creed… “ding, ding.”

Since I rushed my first post and didn’t give it the thorough explanation that it deserves for this board I’m going to rephrase my argument.  I very much understand that all fights are not going to be Chico vs. Castillo, nor do I expect that level of excitement.  I also greatly understand that there is a beauty and art to defense.  Boxing many times is a chess match.  My argument is that many times watching this fight felt like watching a chess match, literally.  It was hard to get excited much during the fight with the exception of the first few rounds.  I was in a packed ass sports bar/club, drinking and I was looking for a reason to jump up and get excited.  I wanted to proudly show my love for the sport to a room full of people who weren’t even paying attention to this historic event.   I wanted the fight to be big and exciting enough to the point where CBS would do this more often.  When do we get match ups like this on prime time, free national broadcasts???  My main argument is simply the opportunity that was missed because had this fight been Corrales/Castillo then you can bet your ass that people would have taken notice.  I wanted that level of excitement for this sport that I love.  Whether we like it or not, whether it was ultimately a well-disciplined fight or not, perception is reality, period.

So this bar has no less than 15-20 TV screens and two huge projection screens and 7 of them have the MMA fight on them while one screen is showing the CBS fight.  I don’t watch MMA.  I don’t know who was fighting and only took notice to the people who were zeroed in on that fight.  Then I saw the blood and immediately assumed it was an exciting fight going on.  I will admit though that there may have been some things that made me perceive that fight differently than most who watched it.

1.  I was in a packed bar/club.  Music was playing and there was no sound.

2.  Ultimately, I may have been biased toward Garcia and seeing that he was losing maybe affected my opinion of the fight.

3.  The last half of the fight had relatively little action and I expected the fighters, especially Garcia, to take more risks.

4.  I was really bothered that I was the only one watching this historic event.

So to reiterate one last time, I truly feel like it was a missed opportunity for the sport as a whole.  Now my question for the board is how would you feel if GGG vs Jacobs turns out to be a similar type of fight?  Would there not be a backlash and major disappointment if Golovkin plays it safe this time, even if it’s just to secure a win?

#14 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

Well, I can’t say that I’m surprised by the reactions to my post.  The sport of boxing is about fighting and that same type of philosophy definitely holds true for this boxing message board.  That being the case, I stand by my critique of the fight in that it ultimately did nothing to progress the sport forward.  I was ultimately disappointed in the action because again, it was a real opportunity to bring interest back to this sport for the masses.  Had this fight been on Showtime or HBO or even NBC daytime I probably wouldn’t have felt the way that I did after watching it. 

As much as I want to say and/or maybe even believe that I’m not defending myself from having to prove that I’m not a “casual boxing fan” I usually end up feeling like I am.  One thing this board does well is if an opinion differs from that of your own, there many times seems like a very real attempt to criticize that difference of opinion to the point that the it came from a lack of boxing knowledge.  It’s very elitist around here but it always has been so I’m not surprised or even upset by it.  I’ve been on these boards for many years back to the days of boxinqtalk, in fact I think I first found boxinqtalk about the time the rumors started to swell about RJJ possibly fighting for a heavyweight title.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that I expected the “backlash” towards my post and it’s probably the reason why I even posted it to begin with.  I like a good “fight” and I’m very much built for this shit.  So in the words of Apollo Creed… “ding, ding.”

Since I rushed my first post and didn’t give it the thorough explanation that it deserves for this board I’m going to rephrase my argument.  I very much understand that all fights are not going to be Chico vs. Castillo, nor do I expect that level of excitement.  I also greatly understand that there is a beauty and art to defense.  Boxing many times is a chess match.  My argument is that many times watching this fight felt like watching a chess match, literally.  It was hard to get excited much during the fight with the exception of the first few rounds.  I was in a packed ass sports bar/club, drinking and I was looking for a reason to jump up and get excited.  I wanted to proudly show my love for the sport to a room full of people who weren’t even paying attention to this historic event.   I wanted the fight to be big and exciting enough to the point where CBS would do this more often.  When do we get match ups like this on prime time, free national broadcasts???  My main argument is simply the opportunity that was missed because had this fight been Corrales/Castillo then you can bet your ass that people would have taken notice.  I wanted that level of excitement for this sport that I love.  Whether we like it or not, whether it was ultimately a well-disciplined fight or not, perception is reality, period.

So this bar has no less than 15-20 TV screens and two huge projection screens and 7 of them have the MMA fight on them while one screen is showing the CBS fight.  I don’t watch MMA.  I don’t know who was fighting and only took notice to the people who were zeroed in on that fight.  Then I saw the blood and immediately assumed it was an exciting fight going on.  I will admit though that there may have been some things that made me perceive that fight differently than most who watched it.

1.  I was in a packed bar/club.  Music was playing and there was no sound.

2.  Ultimately, I may have been biased toward Garcia and seeing that he was losing maybe affected my opinion of the fight.

3.  The last half of the fight had relatively little action and I expected the fighters, especially Garcia, to take more risks.

4.  I was really bothered that I was the only one watching this historic event.

So to reiterate one last time, I truly feel like it was a missed opportunity for the sport as a whole.  Now my question for the board is how would you feel if GGG vs Jacobs turns out to be a similar type of fight?  Would there not be a backlash and major disappointment if Golovkin plays it safe this time, even if it’s just to secure a win?

I don't think it is elitist here on this board. I think guys just like talking about boxing. We all have opinions. That's what makes the interaction great.

Nothing wrong with Chess, if you like tactical matches. 

I was in a bar also. It was packed with about 50 TVs. I had to ask to get boxing put on one of the TVs, because they had UFC and other sports on. 

I pulled for DSG and he just didn't do enough in my opinion to win.

I don't think the GGG/Jacobs fight will be boring. It's gonna have you on the edge of your seat type action. 1) Because most folks think GGG is gonna kill Jacobs. 2) People want to see how Jacobs reacts to getting tagged by a hard hitter. We all know his chin got checked by Pirog and he was dropped by Mora. 

GGG played it safe against Lemieux (because of the power). He eventually wore him down and got the KO. Maybe, he'll do it against Jacobs. I hope not. I'm pulling for the Jacobs upset.

Boxing will again be on free TV. Guys want that exposure and the payday. We may see more action between guys, when you see lesser skilled guys go at it. As for the big names, depending on who it is, they will probably just box and do what they do (unless they are a natural brawler).  Guys have to know how to cut off the ring and execute their fight plan. The other guy is trying to do the same. Sometimes, we just get stinkers.

Bottom line: Boxing will be fine. There is plenty of young talent out there. We just need to not let politics get involved and guys need to not price themselves out of fights.  Boxing is basically on just about every other day. PBC has Tuesday, Friday and Saturdays. HBO and Showtime have some Fridays and Saturdays. Not to mention all the other stuff that can be streamed. 

#15 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

There are no elitist here, at least not anymore.

#16 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, I do want to apologize for making that sound so negative.  IMO, there are higher boxing IQs on these boards which I do very much respect.  I just think sometimes maybe we could all be a bit less critical of other's opinions.  But hey... I'll admit that I'm a sensitive guy. 

Edited by pacco_diablo, 19 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

• MaxPayne likes this

#17 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

It's all good man.

There's a quote from the Max Payne series that I always liked a lot:

"Without passion, we're already dead"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users