Photo

HBO PPV@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT)-Golovkin vs Jacobs-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#181 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

Most of everyone everywhere except them folks at boxing scene think Danny won. Usually the hysteria of "this guy clearly won" I don't agree with, but this time I do. I thought Danny edged it out. He was controlling the middle rounds, and won the first 3 rounds before the KD imo. 

I was most surprised Danny was able to control the pace like he did throughout 12 rounds. I think Danny was even more surprised himself, his reactions throughout the fight showed it. He came in there expecting a monster, and then felt the guy in front of him wasn't so bad after all.

Danny kept his chin low for most of the fight, GGG couldn't clock him good enough. I thought the KD was unfortunate, GGG caught him switching levels and just leaned on him as he was unbalanced. 

I think the most satisfying part about this fight, is that at the end of the day it didn't look like a guy trying to survive or prove themselves against GGG, it looked like two guys trying to beat each other in a competitive and close fight. Danny made GGG look like the ordinary fighter that many were becoming skeptical to, and that's the most satisfying part despite a robbery. We now KNOW GGG can be beat, it's not something up for debate anymore.

• flazi, Dolimite and KSUN247 like this

#182 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Before the fight you said you were. I told yawl Danny was going to give him fists. So where was that massive power? Danny is the real winner overall, his stock went way up. Depending on how well Canelo performs, GGG may miss out on that payday. Now if Danny can hit GGG from different angles, imagine what Ward would of done. GGG had a one track mind, destroy Danny, when that didn't happen, it went downhill. When GGG scored that knock down, Jim almost lost his mind. Sorry fellas for the late comments, I was enjoying my empty house.

His respect went up drastically, but I don't think he'll get much career moves after this. 

#183 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Round 1: GGG

Landed the more telling jabs, or power jabs that actually snapped Jacobs head back. Think Jacobs had a right hand that landed just behind GGGs ear or maye caught on his shoulders, didnt seem fazed.

Round 2: Jacobs
Clear round with jabs from a distance an right hands. Throwing GGG off rhythm is seems since whenever hes getting set, Jacobs goes side to side or throws.

Round 3: GGG
Lands nice jabs, inside shots coming in to the body and one head. Jacobs has a moment at end of the round where he lands this overhand right. The english commentary seems biased towards Jacobs like HBO is towards GGG haha

Round 4: GGG with KD
GGG was outlanding him all round anyway really, so not exactly impossible to score even if there was no KD. But I guess it could be a different round with a KD.

Round 5: GGG
GGG landed the better shots, Jacobs did nothing for the first 2 minutes and then started to engage, land some and take some

Round 6: Jacobs
GGG didn't really do much the first half aside from take a few jabs, and in the second half Jacobs was starting to land more jabs, a nice left hook right hand combo and nice work just before the ten sec mark

Round 7: Jacobs
Think Jacobs just took it, he was the better fighter the entire round imo, he did back up quite a bit and when he did GGG landed a few big right hands and hands to the body so could go either way.

Round 8: GGG
GGG started it well, then kinda trailed off in the middle where Jacobs took over and started to land to the body and then GGG picked it up at the end. Jacobs seems to land a lot of hard shots on arms and gloves and it sounds impressive but isn't scoring while GGG is doing the cleaner work. The english commentary won't stop going on about how Jacobs is taking GGGs punches well, whys he even taking them to start with?

Round 9: Jacobs just
Close as hell round, no thanks to GGG, he gives away the majority of it and around the minute mark he starts to jab nicely, and start landing clean shots hurting Jacobs and moving him around the ring. Realistically could go either way.

Round 10: Jacobs
Clear Jacobs round, was all around better started landing jabs and right hands, and by the end mixing it up with GGG

Round 11: Either way?
GGG started it quite well and Jacobs finished quite strong late, but both were trading and landing so either way

Round 12: Either way?
Close round either way

Few notes after watching, Jacobs did well but I think people were too surprised at how well he did. It was a very close fight and usually the benefit of the doubt goes to the champ.

Wonder how much Jacobs weighed? Am surprised nobody asked him at the post fight press. Just proves that GGG is that small a middleweight and that moving to SMW probably ain't for him.

And I think people are just surprised that GGG wasn't in full search and destroy mode and that would of been pretty dumb/risky if he was. 

I can see it being a GGG win or a Jacobs win, but the KD made the difference so there it is, power counted for something even if it didn't finish the fight.

#184 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,906 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

The telling stat in this fight was the powershots landed. GGG usually owns that category. He outlanded Danny in overall punches, but its always powershots that seem to carry a bit more weight. I'm very cool with the decision, but it literally could have swung the other way easily because of that statistic. Great fight, would love to see it again. 

#185 mrwigi

mrwigi

Super Flyweight

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

I honestly thought the fight was a draw. More importantly though, we saw one of two things happen last night. Either,

1.) GGG realized that if he continued to blow away every opponet he faced, he would never get the big money fight he's been looking for.

or

2.)Danny showed everyone that GGG is actually human. And if you can move and hit him hard enough to make him slow down a bit, you can beat him.

With that being said, only time will tell which of these is correct. Me personally, I think Jacobs showed the world how to beat GGG. However, I cannot think of a fighter currently fighting at 160lbs that has the skill to beat GGG. I will say the performance does make you wonder how a fight with Canelo would go. If Canelo can withstand GGG's power, he can walk away with a W. That's a big IF though.

#186 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

This word "exposed" is rather over-used.

Gonlazez did great work, landed a ton of shots and got cut from illegal headbutts which limited his vision. I strongly believe that in a rematch he would come out on top.

Similarly, GGG went up against the 2nd best MW in the world who was a tough stylistic match-up which is why he didn't look like his usual self.

To me, "exposed" is Danny Garcia getting his ears boxed off by Herrera and Lamont, but still getting gift decisions.

That didn't happen in today's fights.  

Don't do that!

:lol:

And I'd hardly say that Lamont boxed his ears off. Whose ears has Lamont boxed off anyway? 

#187 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

He's a detriment to boxing. I don't get how more people don't call him out on his BS. In a sport with probably the least amount of filter, how is it that Floyd's the only person in recent memory to really call out one of them dudes. I mean seriously. Regardless of who you thought won, no way GGG planned for that. Not only did he get hit but he was missing a TON. Even the KD, he landed a good punch but the actual KD came from lack of balance. Jacobs made him look real ordinary. 

Exactly, nobody's stepped up to the plate as of late to say anything about Lampley, other than Sergio Mora after they trashed him on the air for his performance against Mosley. I believe Mora spoke up about that a few months ago before his rematch with Jacobs. 

Lampley's just deplorable, to say the least. He's already doing PR work for Gennady, saying that people are going to say how he's declined and hyped and so on, because of his performance, and how bogus that theory is. It's just disgusting and morally irresponsible at this point. 

You should've seen the PPV channel when I ordered it around 2pm on Saturday....you know how they loop the build-up repeatedly? Man, Lampley's boundaries are horrible and he doesn't give a fuck. He was saying that he and GGG share the same birthday and how he "texts" GGG and all of this other bullshit. It's just sickening. No way in hell that man even gave Jacobs a chance going into the fight....he's practically friends with Gennady. 

Friendship is cool, but, if it's causing you not to objectively call fights, then there's a real issue there. 

• flazi likes this

#188 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

This word "exposed" is rather over-used.

Gonlazez did great work, landed a ton of shots and got cut from illegal headbutts which limited his vision. I strongly believe that in a rematch he would come out on top.

Similarly, GGG went up against the 2nd best MW in the world who was a tough stylistic match-up which is why he didn't look like his usual self.

To me, "exposed" is Danny Garcia getting his ears boxed off by Herrera and Lamont, but still getting gift decisions.

That didn't happen in today's fights.  

You're right, that word "exposed" tends to get used out of context, especially when fans try to put the "classic" stamp on an album, lol. I want to go on and say that Golovkin was in a bad style matchup, but we can't evade the fact that this is the second fight in a row that he's looked less than stellar. 

Just six months ago, he was getting tagged by a Welterweight, whom also happened to be a HUge underdog with nothing to lose in the situation. That fight raised some questions. Fast forward to now, he just looked not-so-stellar against a guy whom was supposed to get his clock cleaned, based off a KO loss nearly 7 years ago and one formidable opponent in Quillin over the course of 7 years. 

#189 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

I honestly thought the fight was a draw. More importantly though, we saw one of two things happen last night. Either,

1.) GGG realized that if he continued to blow away every opponet he faced, he would never get the big money fight he's been looking for.

or

2.)Danny showed everyone that GGG is actually human. And if you can move and hit him hard enough to make him slow down a bit, you can beat him.

With that being said, only time will tell which of these is correct. Me personally, I think Jacobs showed the world how to beat GGG. However, I cannot think of a fighter currently fighting at 160lbs that has the skill to beat GGG. I will say the performance does make you wonder how a fight with Canelo would go. If Canelo can withstand GGG's power, he can walk
away with a W. That's a big IF though.

Charlo can do something.

#190 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,378 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Few notes after watching, Jacobs did well but I think people were too surprised at how well he did. It was a very close fight and usually the benefit of the doubt goes to the champ.

Wonder how much Jacobs weighed? Am surprised nobody asked him at the post fight press. Just proves that GGG is that small a middleweight and that moving to SMW probably ain't for him.

And I think people are just surprised that GGG wasn't in full search and destroy mode and that would of been pretty dumb/risky if he was. 

I can see it being a GGG win or a Jacobs win, but the KD made the difference so there it is, power counted for something even if it didn't finish the fight.

I'll read your notes after I watch the fight again, you're pretty solid with the Corona and notepad....like the old days around here. I hardly drink nowadays, haven't been shitfaced since Garcia/Thurman and had two beers on the night of Broner/Granados...haven't drank since then.

I was pretty coherent during Jacobs/GGG, aside from typing during rounds. I'm now down to a nice 175 lbs...or 79 kg. I just had to share this with somebody, lol. 

• flazi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users