Photo

HBO PPV@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT)-Golovkin vs Jacobs-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#191 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,081 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

As for the fight, I haven't watched it again, so I should just STFU, right? Yeah, got it. Lol

I believe this was another one of those Kovalev/Ward situations. In the Kovalev/Ward fight, Kovalev's power was a factor going into the fight, he dropped Dre, Dre fought back and won some rounds, a swing round or two happened, then came the decision. 

I believe some observers were giving Kovalev credit for what could've happened when he landed again, and others gave Ward rounds for actually fighting back and making adjustments. There were several cat and mouse rounds, and those always end being subjective and harder to score.

#192 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

It was a tough fight to score. Even the official judges' scorecards were different depending on the rounds. 

I relied on "Boxing Math" a little too much in this case. My evaluation relied heavily on the Sergio Mora performance, where I felt that if Mora could put Jacobs down, then GGG would take him to task.

Of course, I didn't think Danny had the pure Boxing ability to fight the way that he did. Sure, we all knew the blueprint to beat any fighter of GGG's ilk, but the question is, who can pull off that kind of a blueprint ?

I have said many, many times before, but these kind of performances make me miss Floyd Mayweather Jr. because he found a way to clearly win close rounds. Within all that dancing and holding, there were absolutely clean punches landing at a high clip. That's the difference in class between Mayweather and other fighters though.

There were some idiots complaining about Jacobs' weight, but once again, fuck that as far as I'm concerned. If you can make the weight at weigh-in then you're good. How much you inflate afterwards just shows that you're in terrible shape for the fight and that too was not the case with Danny (Chris Algieri, take a bow).

Danny is the 2nd best or arguably the best MW in the world and you could well see a rematch and potentially a trilogy fight based on that result. 

But once again, I felt that 114-113 was a fair score for GGG. 

#193 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Jacobs was a legit middleweight, that's was the difference. I had DJ by 3 rounds.

#194 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Now if we want to talk about legit robberies, let's talk Gonzalez and Rungvisai.

Gonzalez landed the more telling punches and also landed at a much, much higher clip than Rungvisai.

Sure he took some punishment but the cuts themselves were brought upon by headbutts and the judges seem as though they were influenced by them.

Yes, Rungvisai walked through a lot of them shots, but it wasn't like he was backing Gonzalez up with the shots that he himself was landing.

Although ironically, fighting more off of his back foot may have been the tactic of choice to win the fight more convincingly for Gonzalez.

I feel really bad for Gonzalez to lose his 0 like that...yeah he's too small for this division but he deserved that win in my book. 

• flazi likes this

#195 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Now if we want to talk about legit robberies, let's talk Gonzalez and Rungvisai.

Gonzalez landed the more telling punches and also landed at a much, much higher clip than Rungvisai.

Sure he took some punishment but the cuts themselves were brought upon by headbutts and the judges seem as though they were influenced by them.

Yes, Rungvisai walked through a lot of them shots, but it wasn't like he was backing Gonzalez up with the shots that he himself was landing.

Although ironically, fighting more off of his back foot may have been the tactic of choice to win the fight more convincingly for Gonzalez.

I feel really bad for Gonzalez to lose his 0 like that...yeah he's too small for this division but he deserved that win in my book. 

Those high punch stats are coming from the moments Gonzalez let his hands go, where he was landing at will and had SSR backing up and running. But those moments were too few, SSR was letting his hands go pretty much the whole fight, and Gonzalez just stood there blocking or getting clobbered. People may not like the decision, but Gonzalez showed too much inactivity allowing SSR to steal rounds. SSR didn't beat Gonzalez, but Gonzalez allowed him to steal the fight.

I said early on that something was wrong with Gonzalez, his confidence looked shot, he looked spaced out. They then mentioned somewhere in the middle of the fight that Gonzalez's longtime trainer had died sometime after his last fight, so that's probably what it was. It's unfortunate but it happens.

• MAHDI likes this

#196 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Those high punch stats are coming from the moments Gonzalez let his hands go, where he was landing at will and had SSR backing up and running. But those moments were too few, SSR was letting his hands go pretty much the whole fight, and Gonzalez just stood there blocking or getting clobbered. People may not like the decision, but Gonzalez showed too much inactivity allowing SSR to steal rounds. SSR didn't beat Gonzalez, but Gonzalez allowed him to steal the fight.

I said early on that something was wrong with Gonzalez, his confidence looked shot, he looked spaced out. They then mentioned somewhere in the middle of the fight that Gonzalez's longtime trainer had died sometime after his last fight, so that's probably what it was. It's unfortunate but it happens.

Yes.. few and far in between... The Oriental was teeing off on his head without crowd reaction... Gonzalez's few and far in between shots got cheerlelading applause from the crowd, Lampley and Kellerman... just like Keith Thurman... when he landed on Garcia big noise.. Garcia landed Crickets.... This is the shit that gets me with boxing.. The judges saw through it though and the right guy won

#197 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

the oriental? lol.  the thai.

People say that DJ weighed heavier to be able to take more punishment that doesn't fly.  your chin is your chin, doesn't matter how much weight you put on, if it gets cracked you getting ko'ed.  i think the weight advantage was to be stronger to lean on GGG or possibly hold him easier.

Algieri did a great job with DJ.  GGG is still a great fighter, he just meet up with someone who wasn't scared, was bigger, had about the same skill set and just believed in himself.  Every fighter has that style that will give them problems.  Willie pep had his Sandy Saddler, Ali had Frazier etc etc

#198 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Jacobs was a legit middleweight, that's was the difference. I had DJ by 3 rounds.

Jacobs fought an amazingly smart and tactical fight against Golovkin. The added weight, controversy aside, allowed him to take Golovkin's punches better.

Jack

#199 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

more weight doesn't allow you to take punches better, unless you are killing yourself to make a certain weight limit and you finally move up in weight.  Your ability to take punches can't increase unless you do neck exercises and strengthen those muscles.  i am currently 240lbs, so in theory i would be able to take punches better at 250?  no way.

#200 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,081 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Jacobs fought an amazingly smart and tactical fight against Golovkin. The added weight, controversy aside, allowed him to take Golovkin's punches better.

Jack

What added weight, might I ask? How much did Jacobs weigh? It had to be more than 170 lbs....or he could've been 168 or 169 and didn't want to be bothered with yet another belt that he has to pay for. What if he came in at 169 on the following morning?

What if he weighed....let's say, 172 lbs. He would've had a 2 lb weight advantage over GGG, which doesn't truly equate to being able to take another man's power. I wonder why they're trying to make Jacobs out to be a 180 lb Middleweight, when dude didn't even weigh in on the unofficial scale and he and GGG looked to be the same size. 

I just don't get why the media is making a big deal of Danny's weight when nobody knew it after March 17th at the weigh-in. 

• flazi and KSUN247 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users