Photo

Showtime (9PM ET/6PM PT) Porter vs. Berto (SPOILERS) (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Did this fight not go exactly how I said it would? Sloppy. Unimpressive. The thing is, I like Shawn, but I'm beginning to think he's the gate keeper between good and great. If you're great, you should beat him. If you're peak is good-very good, then he's probably going to expose you. He, however, doesn't possess greatness himself. 

• Cshel86 likes this

#52 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

Sorry fellas, I was on belly rubbing duties last night.....
Jermell looked good, that right was impressive. If he lands Hurd, that will be fireworks.

Berto and Porter, the headbutts were the star of this fight. The ref did a piss poor job. Not one watning or deduction. Porter took Berto's heart in the second round. I thought Porter fought a typical fight, made it dirty and gritty. I thought he was leading with his head. Berto did not listen to his damn corner! Virg was telling him to keep the fight in the middle and what did he do, go to the ropes. Berto's body language was all wrong, I think hewas trying to find a way out. Porter did his job. Looks like a rematch between Porter and Keith!

Keith is rocking chains now huh?

Side note, I wonder if Danny and Porter will fight next....that would be interesting
  • Franchize likes this

#53 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

BTW, to piggy back off of Dolomite's post, the ref did an awful job. No warnings to Shawn when he was clearly the initiator of the butts. He even apologized for it afterwards. Overall, it was a sloppy, unimpressive wrestling mat....I mean boxing match. 

#54 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

My DVR messed up and didn't record.  Sounds like I didn't miss too much.  Both guys who were supposed to win, won.

Jack

#55 xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

I didn't get to see this one, but I'm not surprised both guys fought their tail off. Porter and Berto are tough as nails and I respect both guys. Im guessing Porter used his tank style to outwork Berto and bully him around the ring until the accumulation added up. The style works for him and can't blame him for sticking to his guns. Porter needs to avenge his 2 close losses now.

• flazi and Cshel86 like this

#56 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

Haven't gotten a chance to watch it again, but man, did Berto NOT listen to his corner? Max pointed it out as well. I mean, shit....Hunter kept telling him to box. I'm not the smartest person in the world and I'm not the dumbest, but the jab is the first thing that one should turn to. 

Had Berto jabbed a bit more, some of those head clashes wouldn't have taken place. Now, the head clashes against the ropes, I'm not sure he could've prevented those, but most of them consisted of their heads rubbing together.

Porter was rushing in, Berto was rushing in....head clashes occurred. Berto didn't use his jab, he waited for Porter to rush in so he could catch him with that chopping right hand and the uppercut....only the uppercut landed a few times, but he Berto ate more headbutts as result.

I felt bad for Berto when the fight was slipping from his grip against the ropes, that was a hard site to see. I predicted that he'd give rounds away if he ended up on the ropes, but it didn't take a scientist to figure that out.

Paulie made it a point during (or after round 1 or 2) to mention Berto's mind set going into the fight. He's 33 and what business does he have being a fight like this? Does he really have to take fights like? Paulie said that those thoughts run through a fighter's mind as they get older and fights get harder. I also remember him saying the same thing during one of his interviews before the Eggington fight.  

I wonder where both guys go from here, mainly Berto. We all know Keith wants a crack at Manny, but I can see him settling with....let's say, Matthysse? In the next few months? Maybe, just maybe Bradley, but he's calling out Broner or whatever. I'm not sure if Keith is gonna honor his mandatory and I'm sure Porter would want a nice little break before the rematch, regardless of how much of a warrior he is. 

• MaxPayne likes this

#57 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,925 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

The main E was too painful to watch. Porter regressed in this fight. Back to caveman101. he won, but it was ugly as hell.

How much do the Charlo's weigh on fight night?

• Franchize likes this

#58 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Did this fight not go exactly how I said it would? Sloppy. Unimpressive. The thing is, I like Shawn, but I'm beginning to think he's the gate keeper between good and great. If you're great, you should beat him. If you're peak is good-very good, then he's probably going to expose you. He, however, doesn't possess greatness himself. 

And for Porter,

It's not like Berto's a good measuring stick.  His best days are behind him, and even in his prime he was maybe a B- kind of fighter.  I think that Porter might struggle against the elite, but will look good against fighters where he is supposed to look good.  I like Shawn, and Keith Thurman.  Great guys. Class acts. Thurman-Porter II is now a WBC Welterweight mandatory fight.  I want to see the rematch!  This is because the first fight was so good!

Jack

#59 MAHDI

MAHDI

Super Featherweight

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

After watching this again.  Aside from the butts, Porter was displaying a powerful jab... working Berto to the ropes behind that jab followed by left hooks and then he would work the body... The fight was not boring at all and I was entertained. Berto fought back but was out willed and beat down. Porter stated that everything they worked on in camp, they executed. I saw Improved use of the jab and left hook... Right hand needs work, but I saw more of them than usual as well. Berto is said not to be a measuring stick, but considering Mayweather did not beat up Berto and stop him, this is a good win for Porter who seems to have put Berto into retirement.

#60 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

I would describe Porter-Berto as ugly, but entertaining.  The ref Mark Nelson, who is normally good was terrible in no cautions, warnings, or point deductions, for the head butts.

Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users