Photo

PPV@6PM(PT)/9PM(ET)-Canelo vs Chavez-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Done some thinking about the Canelo - GGG matchup and here are my conclusions:

2 things are of critical importance in this fight. 

Firstly, the judges will invariably be favoring Canelo. You can expect a close fight to go to Canelo or for there to be a disputed draw if it appears that Golovkin won the majority of the rounds.

Secondly, it's not just the judges that may well make this a close fight. It's that Canelo's movement, defense, hand speed and Boxing ability are generally better than people give him credit for.

This is coming from someone who picked against Canelo on several occasions.

So from a strategic standpoint, what can GGG do to mitigate these difficult circumstances.

The answer is actually simple.

Fuck all that Boxing shit. We're talking Mexican style for real. We're talking some Maidana shit. We're talking 100 punches per round. We're talking, "I'm the bigger man and you can't hurt me so I'm going to fucking walk through all your pussy ass punches and put that beating on you like 2 fat bitches fighting in the hood over some weave on Worldstar" shit.

I'm dead serious. GGG needs to actively target the KO/stoppage because he can't just lay in the cut and hope to win a Boxing match against Canelo.

The only remote chance for winning a pure Boxing match would be if he secures multiple knockdowns within the first 4-5 rounds and forces Canelo to come to him.

I say multiple knockdowns because the Kovalev - Ward match showed you that sometimes 1 knockdown is not enough to get a close decision.

So yeah, he's going to have to straight up walk Canelo down and try and beat the shit out of him while taking a bunch of punishment for his troubles but that's the only way he can realistically win the fight.

• Cshel86 likes this

#92 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Current odds have GGG listed as a -160 favorite, but I'm very interested to see the updated odds in the August time frame and ESPECIALLY the post weigh-in odds.

#93 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Done some thinking about the Canelo - GGG matchup and here are my conclusions:

2 things are of critical importance in this fight. 

Firstly, the judges will invariably be favoring Canelo. You can expect a close fight to go to Canelo or for there to be a disputed draw if it appears that Golovkin won the majority of the rounds.

Secondly, it's not just the judges that may well make this a close fight. It's that Canelo's movement, defense, hand speed and Boxing ability are generally better than people give him credit for.

This is coming from someone who picked against Canelo on several occasions.

So from a strategic standpoint, what can GGG do to mitigate these difficult circumstances.

The answer is actually simple.

Fuck all that Boxing shit. We're talking Mexican style for real. We're talking some Maidana shit. We're talking 100 punches per round. We're talking, "I'm the bigger man and you can't hurt me so I'm going to fucking walk through all your pussy ass punches and put that beating on you like 2 fat bitches fighting in the hood over some weave on Worldstar" shit.

I'm dead serious. GGG needs to actively target the KO/stoppage because he can't just lay in the cut and hope to win a Boxing match against Canelo.

The only remote chance for winning a pure Boxing match would be if he secures multiple knockdowns within the first 4-5 rounds and forces Canelo to come to him.

I say multiple knockdowns because the Kovalev - Ward match showed you that sometimes 1 knockdown is not enough to get a close decision.

So yeah, he's going to have to straight up walk Canelo down and try and beat the shit out of him while taking a bunch of punishment for his troubles but that's the only way he can realistically win the fight.

I think it comes down to how strong is Canelo, really? GGG couldn't make Jacobs an ugly fight, because Jacobs punching power got GGG's respect. Now it's a matter of can Canelo do the same thing, or will GGG just resist the punches and close him down like he did every other opponent? How GGG handles Canelo's shots is what's going to make the difference here. Also curious to how Canelo handles GGG's shots too. So I guess it's really a matter who gives out first.

#94 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

i have no idea why canelo is made out to be this killer puncher or boxer.  who has he really knocked out?  he went tooth and nail with trout and lara, both of those guys took his power well and trout was coming forward.  he is not knocking GGG out.  GGG is a better boxer and has real power and a great jab.  

• MAHDI likes this

#95 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,467 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

Great fight for both guys and we get a chance to see them fight up to their competition! Maybe we'll see Canelo press for a KO, maybe we'll see GGG adjust to the other guy not being afraid of him. Since GGG's fought the last two guys who weren't afraid of him, he hasn't looked that stellar. 

#96 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

One of the comments that really bothered me that I've heard since Canelo beat Chavez was from Fishnets and it was to the tune of Floyd fought Saul when he was younger and inexperienced but yet they audaciously bragged about when Canelo was 15 and he was beating Grown Men and was this massive sensation in Mexico.

Now my question is, which is it?? Canelo is good enough to be beating up grown men and no one said he was inexperienced then but now that he has more fights than Floyd and a loss he's somehow more experienced and now mature enough to beat up on an older, smaller Mayweather??

Someone please make sense of all this "Convenience" regarding Canelo's experience and abilities for me?

Oscar is blowing smoke if he thinks he'd get a rematch with Canelo and Floyd, besides we already saw that lesson and it would simply be more of the same.

• flazi likes this

#97 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Junior Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

Golden Boy's profitability is almost exclusively from Canelo fights, so they'll stay talking crazy about Canelo like he's the 2nd coming of Chavez Sr.

From a pure talent and skills perspective, Canelo was always levels below Floyd.

Regardless of the fighting weight, if Canelo was actually anywhere near Floyd's ability, then we would have seen something in the first 4 rounds of that fight.

Floyd taxed that ass for all 12 rounds, not just late in the fight when a fighter facing a tough weight cut would have faded.

Ergo, Canelo was never good enough to do anything other than have Floyd clown him in the ring.

Fishnets talks that shit because Floyd is retired.

Is Canelo a better fighter in 2017 than in 2013 ? Yes, certainly he is.

However, the difference in ability between Floyd and Canelo was so large to begin with that any incremental improvements are largely meaningless.

It's entirely possible that if Canelo and Floyd fought at 154 lbs. in September, a 40 year old Floyd would still beat that ass. 

• flazi likes this

#98 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,467 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

One of the comments that really bothered me that I've heard since Canelo beat Chavez was from Fishnets and it was to the tune of Floyd fought Saul when he was younger and inexperienced but yet they audaciously bragged about when Canelo was 15 and he was beating Grown Men and was this massive sensation in Mexico.

Now my question is, which is it?? Canelo is good enough to be beating up grown men and no one said he was inexperienced then but now that he has more fights than Floyd and a loss he's somehow more experienced and now mature enough to beat up on an older, smaller Mayweather??

Someone please make sense of all this "Convenience" regarding Canelo's experience and abilities for me?

Oscar is blowing smoke if he thinks he'd get a rematch with Canelo and Floyd, besides we already saw that lesson and it would simply be more of the same.

If I had to guess, I'd think Oscar was trying to bait Floyd out of retirement. I mean, imagine how "ready" Canelo would be to face Floyd if he gets past Golovkin in September. If it's an impressive victory, who can argue that Canelo can "hang" with Floyd this time around?

Sounds crazy, but I'm just looking at it from a casual fan standpoint, mainly in the sense what's going to be sold to them. For Floyd, that'll be his $100M fight and a 6th division to title. Again, I'm just spitballing here. I don't wanna see Floyd fight again, but if he so chooses to, that could possibly be a money grab. 

Oscar is just full of crap and at this point, he's turning into the very man that he didn't like at one point, Arum. Bob will say something one minute, then completely gaslight the fuck out of the public and make them think they're crazy for doing research. He and Bob are poor historians, by design. 

#99 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,467 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Golden Boy's profitability is almost exclusively from Canelo fights, so they'll stay talking crazy about Canelo like he's the 2nd coming of Chavez Sr.

From a pure talent and skills perspective, Canelo was always levels below Floyd.

Regardless of the fighting weight, if Canelo was actually anywhere near Floyd's ability, then we would have seen something in the first 4 rounds of that fight.

Floyd taxed that ass for all 12 rounds, not just late in the fight when a fighter facing a tough weight cut would have faded.

Ergo, Canelo was never good enough to do anything other than have Floyd clown him in the ring.

Fishnets talks that shit because Floyd is retired.

Is Canelo a better fighter in 2017 than in 2013 ? Yes, certainly he is.

However, the difference in ability between Floyd and Canelo was so large to begin with that any incremental improvements are largely meaningless.

It's entirely possible that if Canelo and Floyd fought at 154 lbs. in September, a 40 year old Floyd would still beat that ass. 

Is he elite though? I remember Ben and V going AT IT back in 2013 on the FH Radio show, when it came to Canelo and elite status, lol. 

I also remember us having a HUGE debate about ATG status and what it takes. I swear, if I could find that thread. 

#100 MAHDI

MAHDI

Super Featherweight

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Floyd dominated Canelo- shut him out... Regardless to what the one judge saw.. The jusge scoring it a draw should be banned from boxing--- That fight was a master classic. Canelo looked like he was making his pro debut.. Go back and watch round 7 when Floyd stunned him with a right upper cut and had him hurt for atleast a half minute and worked him on the ropes. I think Floyd could have stopped Canelo if he stepped it up-- I see no way Canelo holds off GGG, he is not as gifted athletically as Danny Jacobs--- he gets stopped

Edited by MAHDI, 14 May 2017 - 11:07 AM.

• flazi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users