• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

Not even sure this is news, based off of the idea that I'm sure most saw this coming after the Kirkland fight fell through and nobody's even announced the proposed fight with Kamegai, which was supposed to take place in June. Sounds like Cotto wanted too much money for the Kamegai bout, but shit, he signed a $50M/3-fight deal, and I'm sure he hasn't even racked in a quarter of that, unless we're speaking of shows that he promotes under his banner. 

http://www.boxingsce...-sports--116710

I keep reading that Cotto also parted ways with Top Rank in March of 2015, but I thought he did that after the Margarito rematch and was just leasing TR's services on a fight by fight basis. I thought I had that right all along, but maybe not. 

Does anybody see retirement in the near future, or does Cotto want some smoke with one of these top guys one more time before he hangs 'em up?

#2 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Meh, I cringe everytime someone his Cotto because I think of the number of hits hes taken. Am sure hes comfortable now, am sure he doesnt need any money, so retire and enjoy the rest of his time, albeit that seems easier said than done

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

He's in Marquez territory where I worry if he fights the top echelon fighters but he's too great and famous to fight mid tier guys (*cough like Joe Horn*). Probably best to hang em up before someone not remotely on his level beats him because of deterioration and lack of motivation. From a Roc Nation standpoint, the split probably couldnt come at a better time. Theres some lions coming up at 54, Cotto isn't getting any better n you capitalized off of a thrilling (albeit deceiving) performance vs Geale and big time fight with Canelo. Nobody is excited to see him fight Kamegai... except for maybe Kamegai lol 

#4 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

Meh, I cringe everytime someone his Cotto because I think of the number of hits hes taken. Am sure hes comfortable now, am sure he doesnt need any money, so retire and enjoy the rest of his time, albeit that seems easier said than done

It's absolutely easier said than done. I mean, if we can cringe at the sight of Khan whoring his career out, then why couldn't Cotto wanna punch the clock and do the same for bigger paydays? Lol

#5 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

He's in Marquez territory where I worry if he fights the top echelon fighters but he's too great and famous to fight mid tier guys (*cough like Joe Horn*). Probably best to hang em up before someone not remotely on his level beats him because of deterioration and lack of motivation. From a Roc Nation standpoint, the split probably couldnt come at a better time. Theres some lions coming up at 54, Cotto isn't getting any better n you capitalized off of a thrilling (albeit deceiving) performance vs Geale and big time fight with Canelo. Nobody is excited to see him fight Kamegai... except for maybe Kamegai lol 

Didn't he take that same chance and ended up making Austin trout famous for like 4 or 5 months after he beat him? Trout was C-league at best, but Cotto took the fight and paid for it. 

You're right, I don't see Cotto getting past a lot of these guys out here, but he's no stranger to tune-up fights, so I'm sure he'll fight his way back into that final payday. I don't wanna see him in with anybody named Charlo,sorry but not sorry. 

As I mentioned in the other thread, his split from Roc Nation may have opened the door to a Bradley fight, but I know Bob's gonna be involved and Bradley will outprice himself. Cotto's already asking for big money for low tier opponents. 

The way HBO does it nowadays is, they'll take it on the chin one time and let you get away with fighting a tomato can....as long as they have you on tap for a "Gatti List" fight afterwards. I still think we'll see Cotto/Kamegai, IF Cotto agrees to fight Bradley afterwards. 

Hell, put Cotto and Bradley on the same card against their choice of cans, then get the fan pumped for a fight next Spring. 

#6 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

If he could make weight, Cotto can still compete at 147. Would love to see him vs Bradley, Garcia, Thurman and those guys. The top guys at 54 would stop him. Charlo's, Andrade and the like would do him real ugly.

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

http://www.fighthype...ticle29178.html

Welp....looks like he's fighting Kamegai for the vacant WBO belt at 154. The better question now is....who is he going to fight at the end of the year? I don't wanna rush it, but I know HBO didn't take this Kaemgai fight without securing the bag for another big fight involving Cotto. I just can't see them doing it any other way. 

#8 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:30 AM

Why do motherfuckers even want to sign with these kind of "promoters" ? 

Just because Jay Z is attached to some shit doesn't mean that they already have the networks jumping on their dicks or other promoters frothing at the mouth to work with them.

• Cshel86 likes this

#9 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Why do motherfuckers even want to sign with these kind of "promoters" ? 

Just because Jay Z is attached to some shit doesn't mean that they already have the networks jumping on their dicks or other promoters frothing at the mouth to work with them.

Never understood that either. The same happened when 50 started "promotional company" while Floyd was in jail and a few fighters just flocked to it.

Maybe, just maybe the fighters and their managers think they can take advantage of the new promotional company in a sense that "Hey, they need us more than we need them". Just my guess. 

#10 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

Roc Nation is far more sports agency/advertising than boxing promotion/matchmaking. Their boxers (pretty much Ward at this point) are just more athletes under their banner that happen to be boxers rather than "hey look this is our new prize fighter" if that makes any sense. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users