• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:00 AM

Maybe it's the Teacher in me that felt the need to correct you.  How about you try using Spellcheck the next time out!

How about you stop dodging the point.

#22 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

As long as Floyd and Oscar breathe air on this Earth, they're gonna troll each other to no end. I just don't get why Oscar feels that Canelo/GGG will lose buyers just because Floyd will fight 3 weeks earlier. I mean, it makes sense, but Canelo vs GGG is just as big of an event as Floyd/McGregor (in my opinion). 

Both of these fights are what the fans want. Floyd's fight is more about novelty and curiosity, versus Canelo and GGG which is a pick em fight  that fans have demanded for nearly 2 years now, if not longer. 

We all know how fickle boxing fans can be though, so I'll just ride with Oscar on this one. I actually hate the Mayweather/McGregor fight, I really do. However, it's a Mayweather fight and the whole "Will he finally lose?" factor is still attached to it.I just hope this shit isn't $100. 

#23 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

As long as Floyd and Oscar breathe air on this Earth, they're gonna troll each other to no end. I just don't get why Oscar feels that Canelo/GGG will lose buyers just because Floyd will fight 3 weeks earlier. I mean, it makes sense, but Canelo vs GGG is just as big of an event as Floyd/McGregor (in my opinion). 

Both of these fights are what the fans want. Floyd's fight is more about novelty and curiosity, versus Canelo and GGG which is a pick em fight  that fans have demanded for nearly 2 years now, if not longer. 

We all know how fickle boxing fans can be though, so I'll just ride with Oscar on this one. I actually hate the Mayweather/McGregor fight, I really do. However, it's a Mayweather fight and the whole "Will he finally lose?" factor is still attached to it.I just hope this shit isn't $100. 

You know why, because Mayweather receives the most buzz in the sport, and then with a really popular guy like Conor McGregor, they are getting ALL of the buzz. You see it everywhere, non-stop. Once people blow all their money on Floyd's fight, they're going to be mad once again at the results, and then give up on Boxing. The fans will still tune in, but the casuals will tune out. Happened after Mayweather-Pacquiao, will happen again.

• Cshel86 and mgrover like this

#24 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

You know why, because Mayweather receives the most buzz in the sport, and then with a really popular guy like Conor McGregor, they are getting ALL of the buzz. You see it everywhere, non-stop. Once people blow all their money on Floyd's fight, they're going to be mad once again at the results, and then give up on Boxing. The fans will still tune in, but the casuals will tune out. Happened after Mayweather-Pacquiao, will happen again.

I hear ya. Sadly, Oscar's days as a prime fighter were on borrowed time when the social media era got bigger. He and Floyd fought in what, 2007? All we had back then was Facebook and Myspace, and that was still somewhat college-based (Facebook). Twitter was still a baby, Instagram was unheard of, none of it was a factor back. 

Floyd's prime and popularity became bigger when social media really kicked off, and I believe Oscar would've been even bigger, had he still been in his prime during this era. 

With that being said, these big fights get talked about so much on the net, that I can't picture fans turning away from it. Yes, Mayweather and Pacquiao was bad in the eyes of many, but people bought it based on "what if?" and the hype it received for so many years. 

Here again, Floyd is back in the picture, still undefeated, and taking on a new type of challenge...a boisterous MMA fighter. The boxing vs MMA thing has been done in the past (I mainly remember James Toney vs Randy Couture), but it's being done again, on a larger scale. 

I can't imagine how much bigger this fight would've been, had it been Pacquiao vs McGregor. I would have to disagree with your point about casuals not buying Mayweather/McGregor. 

I'm a casual fan of MMA and haven't seen much of McGregor, but I am a boxing fan and I know all about Floyd. You have to include that point of view from fans as well. If anything, this fight is a spectacle and just something else to talk about....which is all casuals need. They're usually the ones who buy fight fights anyway. 

#25 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

I know one thing....this fuckin Canelo/GGG better sell!

This Mayweather/McGregor shouldn't effect those Canelo/GGG numbers at all, being that it promises "excitement" and possibly a knockout. People wanna see that, so they should pay for it. 

Sadly, the same people who are trashing Mayweather/McGregor, will probably pay money to see it, but NOT pay money to see a fight that promises to "give fans what they want". Anytime the "fans" want shit, it never pans out well for the sport. 

I'm buying both fights, but let's see what Canelo/GGG does to "save" boxing, since it was "dying" or "dead" a couple of weeks ago when Manny lost. Oh how soon we forget. 

#26 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

No one is talking about this fight. People are so focused on M&M.
  • Cshel86 and KSUN247 like this

#27 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

And Mayweather vs McGregor has completely erased the Cotto vs Kamegai fight from anyone's mind which also happens on 26 August. CRAZY!!!
  • flazi, Cshel86 and Dolimite like this

#28 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

And Mayweather vs McGregor has completely erased the Cotto vs Kamegai fight from anyone's mind which also happens on 26 August. CRAZY!!!

I never cared for that fight anyway, lol. I think most would agree. If anything, people are waiting to see what big name he fights next. 

• Dolimite and KSUN247 like this

#29 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

I think it's just a classic case of "dealing with the issue at hand" (Mayweather/McGregor), rather than people not caring or talking about Canelo/GGG.

We've all seen boxing fans F it up in the past....so if this fight doesn't sell as much as anticipated, then I won't be surprised. Boxing fans crave and clamor fight, until a price tag is attached to it. 

I mean seriously, there's a 4 month gap between May and September....you mean to tell me that a real fan can't come up with $65-$75 during that time? You mean to tell me that one can't set aside $15 a month for what is called the biggest fight in recent history (Canelo/GGG)? You mean to tell me that one can't sit down with his friends and strike up a deal to split $65-$75 either 2 to 4 to 5 ways???

I'm not buying any of those excuses. Yeah, I know...."Cshel, you don't know what people are going through". Again, I don't buy it at all. When fights are on premium tv, what do fans do? Complain, though they didn't have to pay a PPV fee. When fights are network tv, what do fans do? They complain, beg for more, and complain even more. 

With that said, it's safe to say that people just want something to complain about. If Canelo "ducked" GGG all this time and people aren't willing to pay for it now that it's set in stone, then who's the real ducker? Boxing fans call out fighters to make big fights, then they duck the prices. Lol

• flazi likes this

#30 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Am hoping this flops tbh, teaches whoever is tryna put shit like this on a lesson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users