Photo

Kovalev Camp Drama: John David Jackson Wanted to Jump Ship ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

One thing about the world of Boxing ? You never really know how things are going to turn out.

James Prince alleges that several conversations were held with JDJ about him potentially coming over to the Ward camp and thereby abandoning Kovalev.

Ultimately, Prince alleges that they passed on the opportunity because they didn't want a potential hiring to overshadow what Ward and Hunter were trying to do insofar as preparations go.

On Fighthype, there's a video of JDJ saying "Well they reached out to me and not the other way round...we had an agreement to keep things quiet but they're the ones spilling the beans...I'm still here aren't I?"

I'm bothered not by the fact that Prince reached out to JDJ. Motherfuckers do slimy shit all the time.

No, I'm bothered by the fact that there were allegedly several conversations.

The honorable thing to do would be for JDJ to laugh at the first mention of jumping ship and hang up the phone.

If things aren't going well at the Kovalev camp then as the Head Coach, it's your responsibility to set things right, not cut and run at the first chance.  

Anyways, I hope this shit isn't true because I've always liked JDJ. 

• BrutUalBK likes this

#2 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Kov is a racist prick
Can't say I would blame JDJ.

#3 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hold up...more news.

This is fucked up man. Kovalev - Ward 1 was in November 2016.

JDJ is saying that the conversation with the Ward camp begain in January 2017. That means they were smack dab in the middle of negotiations for the fight.

Then he makes the point about how "if they had offered Fort Knox then I would have gone for it".

Maaaan, get the fuck out of here.

My personal view on this is that it's some hoe shit to jump to the opponent's camp when a rematch has been set up with your own fighter.

How do you think this makes JDJ look for other young fighters who are looking for elite trainers ? From now on, everyone is going to look at this dude with that, "Oh he on that hoe shit again" vibe. It's simply not a good look.

• Cshel86 likes this

#4 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

One point about the racism allegations against Kovalev.

Look, where were JDJ's morals when he was getting them checks for training Kovalev ? 

Clearly even as a black man he let that shit slide because he was getting that paper and hey, it is what it is, because we all got to eat.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too maing, real talk.

Kovalev BEEN talking crazy from the get go, so why wasn't it a problem then? Come on man...

#5 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm freakin' cryin' at this string of nonsense, but it makes for a great buildup! It's kinda like some of that Col. Mustard and Mrs. Peacock shit from that Clue game. 

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

One point about the racism allegations against Kovalev.

Look, where were JDJ's morals when he was getting them checks for training Kovalev ? 

Clearly even as a black man he let that shit slide because he was getting that paper and hey, it is what it is, because we all got to eat.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too maing, real talk.

Kovalev BEEN talking crazy from the get go, so why wasn't it a problem then? Come on man...

That's exactly why he dealt with it, because he was getting paid to train Sergey. If you want to take it a step further, when did Kovalev really start getting paid big purses? The Hopkins fight, maybe? The Cleverly fight?

Point is, JDJ had plenty of time to leave before Kovalev started making big paydays, if the racist stuff was a big deal. And yes, Kovalev has been ignant for quite some time. 

When you haven't made the type of money that you want as a fighter, trainer, manager, everyday employee, etc., it's kinda hard to walk away from situations off of "principle". It's just a clusterfuck at this point, and I'm here for it! Lol

• MaxPayne likes this

#7 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

Yeah Lord knows that this "promotion" needs a shot in the arm because AIN'T NO PROMOTING GOING ON...

Fuck man, you have the best overall fighter in the world (Andre Ward) against a guy who for the very first time in his career actually made him look human and touchable.

It should be billboards all over Times Square. Charlamagne tha God and them Breakfast Club muhfuggas should have BEEN done a 1 hour segment with at least Ward (because Kovalev has the personality of a pirate ship plank).

It should have been a multi-city press tour. Where the fuck is all them fuckboy ESPN shows ? Andre and Virgil should have BEEN guests on First Take AND Undisputed (btw, Molly and Joy ? They can get it for real...and yes, I am thirsty for those 2 for real).

Man, we get dream fights like this and promoters be shooting themselves and their fighters in the foot...this shit is a fucking layup.

I guarantee you that if some of us hardcore posters here on Fighthype had been in charge, we would have promoted the fuck out of this event...

#8 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

HBO don't love Ward, at all. No promotion, no nothing. Showtime did a better job at promoting Spence and Kell and that was on free tv!
  • KSUN247 likes this

#9 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

HBO don't love Ward, at all. No promotion, no nothing. Showtime did a better job at promoting Spence and Kell and that was on free tv!

So true. Showtime and PBC were blowing up my Twitter, Instagram and Facebook feeds promoting the Brook vs Spence fight.

Since Ward no-showed the HBO Face-Off, they really haven't put their best foot forward promoting this. Maybe, money is an issue also, but I doubt it.

Even prior to the first fight, there wasn't great promotion for it, like it should have been. They should have force fed it down our throats. I'm seeing more publicity about Adonis Stevenson and Andrej Fonfara on my social media feeds than Ward and Kovalev. That's a shame.
  • Dolimite likes this

#10 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:17 AM

My only beef with this fight is why is it PPV again? Wasn't the first one a flop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users