Photo

Kovalev Camp Drama: John David Jackson Wanted to Jump Ship ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

Um..how is fighthype doing a better job at promoting this fight then HBO?
  • flazi and Cshel86 like this

#12 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Um..how is fighthype doing a better job at promoting this fight then HBO?

Took the words right outta my mouth! All HBO has is the clip of the knockdown, but they've done a shitty job of promoting the fight. 

#13 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

HBO don't love Ward, at all. No promotion, no nothing. Showtime did a better job at promoting Spence and Kell and that was on free tv!

Because the wrong guy won, period. HBO should be ashamed of themselves, but they have no shame nowadays anyway. 

My only beef with this fight is why is it PPV again? Wasn't the first one a flop?

Right. I mean, didn't they learn from the first fight. To twist it, the fault lies on boxing fans though. This was THE biggest fight in recent LHW history, a fight that fan pissed and moaned about, and the buy rate was horrible. Smh

• flazi and KSUN247 like this

#14 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

PPV is sometimes the only way to set up a big fight.

You may want to put a particular fight on regular network TV, but if the network's budget is too low, then you won't have the money you need to pay the fighters and take care of other expenses.

So if say Ward and Kovalev both need to be paid $7 million each but HBO/Showtime only has $10 million as their budget, then you have to roll the dice on PPV and hope that you can earn enough to break everyone off a little something something.

Them going the PPV route simply means the networks didn't want to cough up the money to do it on regular TV. 

• Cshel86 likes this

#15 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

PPV is sometimes the only way to set up a big fight.

You may want to put a particular fight on regular network TV, but if the network's budget is too low, then you won't have the money you need to pay the fighters and take care of other expenses.

So if say Ward and Kovalev both need to be paid $7 million each but HBO/Showtime only has $10 million as their budget, then you have to roll the dice on PPV and hope that you can earn enough to break everyone off a little something something.

Them going the PPV route simply means the networks didn't want to cough up the money to do it on regular TV. 

Can't argue with this, however, HBO is known for turning down fights on their network because they only want big fights. With that in mind, wouldn't they have enough to pay these guys for one big fight, being that this isn't a Canelo/GGG level fight (from a financial standpoint). 

If I remember correctly, I don't remember fighters making huge paydays on premium TV, let's say, nothing over $2M, maybe $3M on a high end. So yeah, who knows. It makes sense when you put it that way. In terms of HBO seeing how bad the numbers were, I thought they would've jumped at the chance to pick up the rematch and leave PPV out of it. 

#16 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Right. I mean, didn't they learn from the first fight. To twist it, the fault lies on boxing fans though. This was THE biggest fight in recent LHW history, a fight that fan pissed and moaned about, and the buy rate was horrible. Smh

Boxing has some of the worst fans for sure

#17 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Can't argue with this, however, HBO is known for turning down fights on their network because they only want big fights. With that in mind, wouldn't they have enough to pay these guys for one big fight, being that this isn't a Canelo/GGG level fight (from a financial standpoint). 

If I remember correctly, I don't remember fighters making huge paydays on premium TV, let's say, nothing over $2M, maybe $3M on a high end. So yeah, who knows. It makes sense when you put it that way. In terms of HBO seeing how bad the numbers were, I thought they would've jumped at the chance to pick up the rematch and leave PPV out of it. 

I never liked the PPV model to begin with. It's some real bullshit that is a classic "short term thinking only" solution.

Sure you make some money off of the event, but you keep the fighters from reaching a much wider audience, which is bad in the long run.

Ultimately, the blame lies with the networks though. As you've correctly pointed out, a network won't pay a fighter beyond $2 M - $3 M, whereas I personally feel that the best fighters deserve double and triple of that per match, at the very least.

So yeah, fuck HBO, Showtime, CBS and all of them other motherfuckers. 

#18 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

This would be amazing on regular T.V. then they could hype up GGG v. Alvarez by both men coming in the ring for a face off. Wishful thinking.

#19 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

One thing about the world of Boxing ? You never really know how things are going to turn out.

James Prince alleges that several conversations were held with JDJ about him potentially coming over to the Ward camp and thereby abandoning Kovalev.

Ultimately, Prince alleges that they passed on the opportunity because they didn't want a potential hiring to overshadow what Ward and Hunter were trying to do insofar as preparations go.

On Fighthype, there's a video of JDJ saying "Well they reached out to me and not the other way round...we had an agreement to keep things quiet but they're the ones spilling the beans...I'm still here aren't I?"

I'm bothered not by the fact that Prince reached out to JDJ. Motherfuckers do slimy shit all the time.

No, I'm bothered by the fact that there were allegedly several conversations.

The honorable thing to do would be for JDJ to laugh at the first mention of jumping ship and hang up the phone.

If things aren't going well at the Kovalev camp then as the Head Coach, it's your responsibility to set things right, not cut and run at the first chance.  

Anyways, I hope this shit isn't true because I've always liked JDJ. 

I agree with you about the "honorable thing" but this is Boxing................the dirtiest and slimiest game in the business.

JDJ told Ward how Kov was treating him in their camp and that's no surprise to me because everyone knows how much of a Racist and Bigoted piece of sh**t Kovalev really is by now.

They brought in this other strength and conditioning coach who is or has taken the lead in cornering Kov so much so to the point where Jackson doesn't even get to say any instructions to Kov first and has to wait until the other coach is finished, nor does he even understand the instructions that the coach gave him.

I personally do not blame JDJ for wanting to jump ship because Kov's camp is the one who is showing a lack of loyalty if that's the way things really are over there.  I mean, who got Kov to where he is today, that Coach or JDJ???

The only reason that Ward didn't take him is because JDJ priced himself out of the bid.

#20 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

Still laughing at this debacle. I only laugh because JDJ seriously just needs to cut that perm...maybe he'd look something close to a decent human being. Looked like he had braids in the recent video posted on the front page. Lol

On a serious note, if Kovalev loses this weekend, then JDJ should do himself a solid and head for the hills....it's not like Kovalev's team isn't talking Sergey into giving him the boot anyway. 

Sad but funny stuff man. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users