Photo

Showtime@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT)-Stevenson vs. Farfara II/Alvarez vs. Pascal (SPOILERS-No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Haven't seen it yet,

But it could have been Stevenson v.s Joe "The Plumber" Smith instead.

Jack

Yeah, i kinda forgot about Joe. I would love to see that one. I have a feeling that Joe gets knocked off in his 1st fight back. He's a fun guy to watch though.

#12 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

Chickenshit vs. Joe Smith would be an intriguing, albeit short-lived affair.

Both are extremely big punchers but Chickenshit is the better Boxer so I can see a bunch of counter left hands landing and ending the fight.

I doubt that fight gets made though, just like any doubts I have over Ward or Kovalev getting a shot at this dumb shit. 

#13 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Chickenshit vs. Joe Smith would be an intriguing, albeit short-lived affair.

Both are extremely big punchers but Chickenshit is the better Boxer so I can see a bunch of counter left hands landing and ending the fight.

I doubt that fight gets made though, just like any doubts I have over Ward or Kovalev getting a shot at this dumb shit. 

Agreed,

Barring "Chickenshit" landing a big punch against Kovalev or Ward, they both beat the fuck out of this POS!

Jack

#14 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

I didn't mean to be negative, but I'm just sick of this Stevenson shit. He claims that people backed out of negotiations and he doesn't have to call anybody out, but he fights like once a year nowadays, so it can't always be the other side's fault. 

I remember him leaving HBO because Haymon wanted to secure him a payday which was nearly 3 times what HBO was willing to buy, just for him to fight Fonfara BEFORE they even discussed a purse for the Kovalev fight that fell through when Haymon got involved. 

Of course HBO scoffed and said fuck off, and he's been fighting less than stellar opposition since moving to Showtime. He beat Dawson for the title, then went on the fight Cloud and Bellew...all in the year 2013. He switched networks and hasn't fought anybody noteworthy. 

I just don't get it. I mean, Kovalev hasn't always fought one big name after another, but at least he's been active. At least while Ward was inactive, he didn't hold his title(s) hostage. I'm just tired of Stevenson, and as far as I'm concerned, he's torn his Sundays drawers with this whole LHW situation. 

And again, I'm just tired of all of Hunter's fighters (not name Andre Ward) going out sad. 

• MaxPayne likes this

#15 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

I didn't mean to be negative, but I'm just sick of this Stevenson shit. He claims that people backed out of negotiations and he doesn't have to call anybody out, but he fights like once a year nowadays, so it can't always be the other side's fault. 

I remember him leaving HBO because Haymon wanted to secure him a payday which was nearly 3 times what HBO was willing to buy, just for him to fight Fonfara BEFORE they even discussed a purse for the Kovalev fight that fell through when Haymon got involved. 

Of course HBO scoffed and said fuck off, and he's been fighting less than stellar opposition since moving to Showtime. He beat Dawson for the title, then went on the fight Cloud and Bellew...all in the year 2013. He switched networks and hasn't fought anybody noteworthy. 

I just don't get it. I mean, Kovalev hasn't always fought one big name after another, but at least he's been active. At least while Ward was inactive, he didn't hold his title(s) hostage. I'm just tired of Stevenson, and as far as I'm concerned, he's torn his Sundays drawers with this whole LHW situation. 

And again, I'm just tired of all of Hunter's fighters (not name Andre Ward) going out sad. 

I think part of the blame also has to be put on the WBC, which has enabled this kind of fuckboy shit to go on.

They could set up a mandatory that is a much higher level fight than a shopworn Fonfara.

Haymon is the other obvious reason for the low frequency of fights and also the stiffs that he stays fighting. It's a recurrent theme in PBC's operations and one that I am simply tired of.

I'm all for the fighters getting paid. Been saying that since Day 1. However, if you don't strike a balance then the sport loses fans and loses more and more market share to other sports. These guys should be fighting more often and paid properly every time.

Another factor to consider over here is Virgil Hunter.

I was listening to the Ringside Reporter Podcast and they brought up the fact that maybe it's time to consider that Virgil Hunter is only a good trainer for Andre Ward.

Angulo, Berto, Khan and Fonfara have all lost (haven't included Jacobs, but technically that's another L) and it does make you wonder. 

Ward is the only fighter that he's really built up from scratch and while he's done a marvelous job of that, he hasn't been able to take a fighter at the midpoint of his career and build him up even further, like say Emmanuel Steward was able to.

#16 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Virgil is a good trainer.  Those fighters you mentioned were already flawed and had their own style and 0 defense when Virgil started training them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users