Photo

PPV@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT)-Ward vs. Kovalev II-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

Thats what I'm saying. These borderline (or should I say beltline) blows are distracting from the fact that Kovalev basically declared he was going to do what Drago did to Creed. Now he's reduced to did you get KO'd legally or illegally? The other thing flying under the radar is the fact that if Weeks didn't waive it off, Dre has plenty of time to whoop his ass that round. Not to mention Kovalev couldn't seem to tie Dre up properly

That dude did little to nothing in this fight, and deserves no credit at all. I absolutely hate a sore loser, and Sergey is a shining example of one. Hopkins makes my Top 5 of sore losers as well, even though he made history in the sport. 

And yes, Ward had another 30 or 40 seconds to put in work, or allow it to soak in between rounds and possibly finish him off. People tend to forget that Sergey was on wobbly legs in the corner with his hands down, just seconds before Ward backed him into the ropes and finished him with body work. 

From what I'm reading/hearing, Sergey welcomes the idea of working with Hunter now, lol. Sad shit man.

#92 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

It's being reported on the front page that the fight brought in 125-130 thousand buys. Sad! Shame on boxing fans!

What's even sadder is that most of the people complaining and raising a stink about the alleged low blows, probably didn't even buy the fuckin fight. Lol

• Plah likes this

#93 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

It's being reported on the front page that the fight brought in 125-130 thousand buys. Sad! Shame on boxing fans!

What's even sadder is that most of the people complaining and raising a stink about the alleged low blows, probably didn't even buy the fuckin fight. Lol

Not surprised seeing as how the first fight was a flop. However after looking at celebrity interviews who talk about these fights, I'm starting to think most buyers are store hosts, insiders, and other people with money. Everyone else just streams it or watches the replay. Boxing gets BIG numbers on cable, so obviously people care and watch these fights, it's just fans don't like spending their money on it. 

Hell I'm willing to bet Pacquiao is gonna get way more views on ESPN than he's been getting on PPV these days.

#94 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Not surprised seeing as how the first fight was a flop. However after looking at celebrity interviews who talk about these fights, I'm starting to think most buyers are store hosts, insiders, and other people with money. Everyone else just streams it or watches the replay. Boxing gets BIG numbers on cable, so obviously people care and watch these fights, it's just fans don't like spending their money on it. 

Hell I'm willing to bet Pacquiao is gonna get way more views on ESPN than he's been getting on PPV these days.

My view is the following:

Streaming video and high speed Internet is the way to go for boxing.  PPV has been a dying model since Mayweather-Pacquiao because the build-up was so intense, and the fight flopped so badly, that companies are looking at other ways to see boxing.  Showtime has moved away from PPV.  ESPN is bringing Pacquiao, Crawford, and Lomachencho to it's platform this year!  (We should do a seperate thread on this, because this is HUGE for boxing and very exciting for boxing!)

The low-blow verses borderline body shots in Ward-Kovaelv II and Ward's seemingly like or hate relationship with boxing scribes is a microcosm of a much bigger problem.  Roc Nation is a shit company who buy the numbers involved is in huge financial loss.  James Prince has never been able to be successful in the industry, because he's a music guy who brought rap music to expanded markets.  But he has not been successful in boxing.  Andre Ward there is a rumor going around may go to Top Rank, who does a better job of promoting.

HBO needs to get it's head out of the late 80's-90's PPV model and bring the larger fights away from PPV.  Ward has never been a big draw, and does not fight quality opposition often enough.  Great fighters, even good fighters, fight often and make good money.  Ward does not bring the money, nor the people, even within California to achieve financial success.  His fighting style is not pleasing to many.  He gets the job done.  But is financially struggling in doing it.  A better promoter and more exciting fighting style would help Ward be a star, not just a champion.

Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users