• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

Looks like Pac's fight is going to be on ESPN. I don't know how I feel about this...I guess Arum had to sell this shit fight one way or the other, to have your star taking a big step back by fighting on ESPN Friday (actually Sunday) night fights seems wrong
I know Pac will bring a shit load of viewers but still. This guy was the second best fighter in boxing at one point. I guess Al Haymon has set the blue print in some way or another. While Floyd is making 100 million fighting Conor, Pac is getting royally fucked. This dude should be able to retire.

Edited by Dolimite, 18 June 2017 - 09:33 PM.

• flazi and BrutUalBK like this

#2 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

Looks like Pac's is going to be on ESPN. I don't know how I feel about this...I guess Arum had to sell this shit fight one way or the other, to have you star taking a big step back by fighting on ESPN Friday (actually Sunday) night fights seems wrong
I know Pac will bring a shit load of viewers but still. This guy was the second best fighter in boxing at one point. I guess Al Haymon has set the blue print in some way or another. While Floyd is making 100 million fighting Conor, Pac is getting royally fucked. This dude should be able to retire.

Well let's just keep it 100 as we say and recognize that all of this downfall can be placed sorely upon Manny.

Packy had more than enough chances to buy himself out of his Slave Contract with Arum, and even whilst in that contract he stopped facing the best talent and started playing it safe facing guys he already faced or fighters he knew wouldn't have a chance of putting his big ass head in orbit like Marquez did.

What we're witnessing now is the results of cherrypicking. It's a shame how the mighty has fallen, even his own fans knows this fight with Horn is mediocre and cherrypicking at its' worse.

The nail in the coffin would be if Horn sparks him, then he would most definitely be at rock bottom.
  • flazi likes this

#3 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

Well let's just keep it 100 as we say and recognize that all of this downfall can be placed sorely upon Manny.
Packy had more than enough chances to buy himself out of his Slave Contract with Arum, and even whilst in that contract he stopped facing the best talent and started playing it safe facing guys he already faced or fighters he knew wouldn't have a chance of putting his big ass head in orbit like Marquez did.
What we're witnessing now is the results of cherrypicking. It's a shame how the mighty has fallen, even his own fans knows this fight with Horn is mediocre and cherrypicking at its' worse.
The nail in the coffin would be if Horn sparks him, then he would most definitely be at rock bottom.

Honestly if Pac would of ate his loss like a man he could of gotten a rematch. Plus, let's face it, alot of Pac's fame came because he was the guy that was going to beat Mayweather, once that cloud was done, look what he is left with,people having little to 0 interest in his career. Fighting in Australia on an insufficient day against a Koala. Like come on yo. Then Roach promising him a rematch with Mayweather, ok...
  • BrutUalBK likes this

#4 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

Honestly if Pac would of ate his loss like a man he could of gotten a rematch. Plus, let's face it, alot of Pac's fame came because he was the guy that was going to beat Mayweather, once that cloud was done, look what he is left with,people having little to 0 interest in his career. Fighting in Australia on an insufficient day against a Koala. Like come on yo. Then Roach promising him a rematch with Mayweather, ok...

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Pac is still a draw. I just dont think Bob has any interest in putting him against a young lion that may answer the "should I retire" question for him. Pacquiao, like Marquez and Cotto, is in that awkward space where it makes no sense to fight a risky guy who isn't a big name but the but the big names might end his career.

• flazi, Plah and BrutUalBK like this

#5 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Pac is still a draw. I just dont think Bob has any interest in putting him against a young lion that may answer the "should I retire" question for him. Pacquiao, like Marquez and Cotto, is in that awkward space where it makes no sense to fight a risky guy who isn't a big name but the but the big names might end his career.

I can see that angle. The thing is, fighting dudes like Horn does 0 for him. He could of gotten a Broner, Mikey Garcia, Lamont Peterson or someone like that, but fuckin Jeff Horn?!
  • flazi and BrutUalBK like this

#6 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I can see that angle. The thing is, fighting dudes like Horn does 0 for him. He could of gotten a Broner, Mikey Garcia, Lamont Peterson or someone like that, but fuckin Jeff Horn?!

Agreed, all of those guys are just as safe as Horn when it comes to punching power, but instead they'd rather feed him nobodies and keep him safe while still using the Mayweather name to try and stay relevant and maintain his so called "Superstar" status.

If Arum was smart he would've made Packy go to 140 and feast on a few of the big names there as long as it isn't Crawford.

#7 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

The sentiment that Pacquiao is solely famous for allegedly being the guy to beat Mayweather is ridiculous.

Pacquiao is famous and beloved in his homeland because the guy had an exciting (and flawed) style and brought the pressure and the pain to his fights. He had 4 legendary fights against Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera and 3 classics against Erik Morales.

Admittedly after moving to Welterweight, there were soft touches and careful match-making here and there but are we going to stand here and act like that hasn't happened for every major Boxing star ? Floyd was plenty fucking carefully managed himself, as was DLH.

Manny's put in a hell of a body of work and been in enough wars and been knocked out cold for his trouble. If anyone deserves a couple of soft touches here and there, it's a venerable warrior like Manny.

He's done a lot for Boxing by being a globally recognized sporting icon and having an exciting style that brought Boxing into the limelight for millions of casual fans. Ultimately those casuals are important if you want the sport to at least sustain in the face of other sporting attractions. 

#8 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

The sentiment that Pacquiao is solely famous for allegedly being the guy to beat Mayweather is ridiculous.

Pacquiao is famous and beloved in his homeland because the guy had an exciting (and flawed) style and brought the pressure and the pain to his fights. He had 4 legendary fights against Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera and 3 classics against Erik Morales.

Admittedly after moving to Welterweight, there were soft touches and careful match-making here and there but are we going to stand here and act like that hasn't happened for every major Boxing star ? Floyd was plenty fucking carefully managed himself, as was DLH.

Manny's put in a hell of a body of work and been in enough wars and been knocked out cold for his trouble. If anyone deserves a couple of soft touches here and there, it's a venerable warrior like Manny.

He's done a lot for Boxing by being a globally recognized sporting icon and having an exciting style that brought Boxing into the limelight for millions of casual fans. Ultimately those casuals are important if you want the sport to at least sustain in the face of other sporting attractions.

For 6 years his name was soley attached to Floyd's. A couple of soft touches? Ok

#9 BrutUalBK

BrutUalBK

Welterweight

• Banned
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

How so was Floyd carefully managed?  He tried to face Casamayor and Freitas at 130 but neither man wanted it and priced themselves out of the fights so that they wouldn't have to face him, outside of those two at his most dominant weight class there was no one else he didn't face.

People say Paul Williams but even Williams says Floyd never ducked him, and then there are those who hang their proverbial hats on the fact that he never faced that lying and cheating Bum Margarito and try to use that as leverage against Floyd when we all know Baldomir was the Lineal Champion and had beaten Zab for that spot.

The fight with Cotto never took place when they were younger because of Arum's unwillingness to make it happen, the same can be said of Pacquiao whom Roach is on record blaming for the fight not happening back in 08-09.

So unless you know of some other argument for Floyd supposedly being a product of careful matchmaking then share that story here and now so we can put an end to this debate once and for all.

Please tell us of Floyd's supposed careful matchmaking???...........................................................

#10 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

What short memories people have.

I'm talking about fights as far back as 2001, when he fought Ledwaba for the IBF strap on 2 weeks notice and beat the shit out of him in 6 rounds. 

The stretch from 2001 to 2008 was phenomenal, exciting to watch and full of classic fights. Pacquiao won, lost, won again and did his thing in style. 

I can watch Pacquiao fights over and over again.

While I enjoy watching highlights of Floyd fights, the only fights that I've watched several times over are the Jose Luis Castillo fights and the Maidana fights, because of the amount of action that the opponent was bringing.

Pacquiao's entire body of work is a lot bigger and significant altogether than just looking at his fight with Floyd.

Yes, Floyd won and is the better overall Boxer. Everyone knew that going into the fight because of how matchups work. No one is arguing that.

However the point that I do strongly believe in is that Pacquiao has earned the right to take whatever matchups are put in front of him, even if the risk level is not commensurate with his fighting ability and talent.

Just for the sake of clarity, Terrence Crawford is one of my "elite level fighters" alongside Andre Ward, Rigondeaux, Chocolatito and Vasyl Lomachenko. 

If Pacquiao were to fight Crawford, then he would get that ass taxed because Crawford is that good. Understandably, as Crawford may well retire him in the ring, from a risk perspective you would of course ask for 20 to 25 million.

Know why ? Because after that spanking, he wouldn't even get Jeff Horn level paydays. Dollars and cents, that's what matters in the twilight of your career.

One last point:

We will never again have a 8 division champion in the history of Boxing, unless another once-in-a-generation talent comes along.

• xxxxxx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users