• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Since Floyd Mayweather's retirement in 2015, Andre Ward has been the best overall Boxer in the world.

While a stretch of inactivity took him out of the spotlight for a time, his body of work including the recent Kovalev wins and his ability now make him the de facto Pound for Pound King of the sport.

At age 33, he's entering the last stretch of his physical prime. I suspect that Ward will be able to fight at this current level of effectiveness for another 3 years or so. That's anywhere from 6 to 9 fights depending on how active he wants to be.

What are the fights and opponents that you want to see him go up against ? 

Stay at LHW ? Move up to CW ? 

Have at it folks. 

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

Adonis Stevenson and take that last belt to unify the division. There's still plenty of names out there if he just wants stay busy fights: Cleverly, Jack, Smith Jr, Pascal, Beterbiev, Alvarez, and the long awaited/avoided Bute! LOL!
  • flazi likes this

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Since Floyd Mayweather's retirement in 2015, Andre Ward has been the best overall Boxer in the world.

While a stretch of inactivity took him out of the spotlight for a time, his body of work including the recent Kovalev wins and his ability now make him the de facto Pound for Pound King of the sport.

At age 33, he's entering the last stretch of his physical prime. I suspect that Ward will be able to fight at this current level of effectiveness for another 3 years or so. That's anywhere from 6 to 9 fights depending on how active he wants to be.

What are the fights and opponents that you want to see him go up against ? 

Stay at LHW ? Move up to CW ? 

Have at it folks. 

I see what you did there

B)

• flazi and MaxPayne like this

#4 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

Truthfully, outside of Adonis Stevenson, the rest of Ward's fights will be stay busy fights. I say that because none of the remaining matchups have that "Oowee" factor. Line em up...Smith Jr., Jack, etc....they all come off as a day in the office because there's no huge push for them. 

The only option I see if Beterbiev, but I think they'll feed him to Kovalev and sell it as something along the lines of Matthysse vs Provodnikov or a Salido vs Vargas type of matchup for HBO to clamor over. 

Beterbiev really has to fight a couple of notable names before he steps in with Ward, or it'll come off as premature and forced. As of now, a Stevenson fights seems to make the most sense...only because he's the linear LHW champ. 

The only other thing that will make LHW interesting, is if the likes of Lemiuex and GGG pull a Hopkins and jump from 160 to 175. I can't really see DeGale moving up to 75 this soon. 

• KSUN247 likes this

#5 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

He should clean up Stevenson BUT will Haymon even talk to Roc nation?

• KSUN247 likes this

#6 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

He should clean up Stevenson BUT will Haymon even talk to Roc nation?

Stevenson already called him out to unify after the Kovalev fight on social media. Doesn't mean much, but I think Haymon and Roc Nation can work together if the fighters really want it.
  • flazi likes this

#7 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:54 AM

Take out Stevenson.

Move down.

Fight GGG.

Call it a career.

#8 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

His next move should be leaving HBO. He has so many options at Sshowtime.

#9 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Stevenson already called him out to unify after the Kovalev fight on social media. Doesn't mean much, but I think Haymon and Roc Nation can work together if the fighters really want it.

It's all about who is or isn't willing to open their books for the other side to see. Somebody's gonna wanna be the head honcho, and Ward's side honestly deserves to be, but I'm sure Stevenson's side won't see it that way.

The fact that Ward made $6.5M last weekend and has 3 belts, while Adonis has one belt and wealthy manager who hasn't even paid him anywhere close to what Ward made last weekend, can pose as a problem. 

Stevenson wants to shoot his shot to get the remaining 3 belts, while I'm sure Ward wants that one last title. In other words, both guys have something that the other guy wants. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Roc Nation is fed up with Team Stevenson's antics, so they'll probably outprice themselves on purpose, just to shut the whole thing down. 

• KSUN247 likes this

#10 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

His next move should be leaving HBO. He has so many options at Sshowtime.

Honestly, he's good where he is. GGG or Lemiuex could easily say "F it" and jump up to 175 to challenge Ward. Chavez could easily try his luck, even after stinking up the joint against Canelo. He couldn't get past Fonfara a couple of years ago, so who knows.

Back in 2013, I predicted a Ward/Chavez bout at 168 and Ward seemed to entertain it a bit, but Julio was in a funk with his career as a whole, so I'm not even sure he would've brought his A-Game. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users