Photo

Why is Floyd a runner and not Ray Leonard?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I watched him with his track shoes on against Marvelous Marvin doing more running than Floyd did his entire career??? Floyd would have been lambasted for that type of performance

#2 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

because they had better fans and better media who actually understood the art of boxing, hit and not get hit.  Neither run or ran, if that was the case then Ali would be labeled a runner.  There is nothing wrong with lateral movement to keep your opponent from getting set and getting frustrated then you glide in pop off a combo then glide out.

• MAHDI likes this

#3 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

I agree.. I have never seen Floyd move as much as Ray did in that bout against Hagler. He definitely was laying leather while using his legs though...

• flazi likes this

#4 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Because the media is bullshit nowadays, as mentioned. They're just as much casual fans as the idiots on social media and the comments sections. Most of these"journalists" and guys holding cameras, are shiftless bastards who try a little too hard to generate traffic...even at the expense of bashing a fighter in a covert and/or overt manner. 

There's simply no one watching the gates, when it comes to journalism. Sadly, anybody can be labeled as such and create unnecessary tension in the sport. A lot of these guys aren't educated on the sweet science, and they have no shame. 

• flazi and MaxPayne like this

#5 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Boxing did have a larger talent pool back then though. Fighters had more heart, more discipline, more skill. Generally speaking.

Fighters today have a greater skill range and are more physically gifted, but they lack heart and discipline. Everyone fights to preserve themselves, because of how scarce the competition has become. They're trying to find the right fights and show off their flashy abilities, rather than work their way through competitive fights. Thus the appreciation of skill and competition has became less. Everyone is trying to be "the money man", instead of trying to be an ATG.

• flazi and KSUN247 like this

#6 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,954 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

Leonard didnt run against Duran and Hearns. He really didnt run against Hagler either. His career isnt defined by his defense. Its hi offense over the course of his career that was spectacular. He threw combos with speed and power and was spectacular when he was in his prime. He wasnt always content to outpoint. He wanted to win by stoppage. He had a seek and destry mentality. Against Hagler, he did what he had to do in order to win. He didnt run, he threw flashy combos. He just was not his regular seek and destroy self because he was going against a much bigger guy who was a power puncher. 

Mayweather is very defensively responsible. I don't consider his to be a runner either. I do think he's shown the capability to be a dog in the ring. I remember that Diego Corrales fight. However after his 2 with Castillo, he became much more defense than offense. He seemed to prefer to outpoint guy as opposed to using his incredible hand speed. There were guys I think he should have cranked it up, against. He should have cranked up the offense against a guy like Carlos Baldomir or even Andre Berto. Who in the top 10 at WW wouldn't KO Berto?? If you are an all time great, you KO guys like that. I think he should have been more offensive against Pacquiao. His refusal to really engage and cruise through fights gives him the reputation as a runner. Maybe its deserved.

#7 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

maybe it is deserved? lol....I understand.. You just don't like his style of fighting. No secret at 147 Floyd lacks ko power but wins easily none the less centered on defense and taking minimal punishment. This is why at 40 he is still around and about to command tge biggest payout of a boxer in history...Floyd was awesome to watch in my view.. A boxing purist

#8 flazi

flazi

Lightweight

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

i think after the move up in weight for mayweather is when he had all those hand problems.

• MAHDI likes this

#9 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

I was watching him take down Phillip Ndou.. 135- 140 Floyd was a punisher...

#10 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

he broke his hands man. what do you expect? he tried to be that way and even got the ko against hatton. hes always put longevity over pleasing fans so if i was him and i kne my hands were bad, id switch my style up to. we should be giving him major props for even being able to do that at all. ost fighters ould have crumbled to a shel of themselves if they lost something like that.

• Dolimite likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users