• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mitukczuk

mitukczuk

Lightweight

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I guess you have heard the news. The man´s retiring and I think it´s right on time.

The question is, what´s the legacy? An Olympic gold medalist. He usually got the job done via KO, but not really in an eye catching fashion. Some say these KOs were just boring to watch. If there is such a thing. However, this should not overshadow the length of Wlad´s reign and the dominance he was able to show during his fights.

Since I have always liked boxing, its purity and using ones advantages to the fullest I have always enjoyed watching Wlad fight - nevermind the paw paw paw right, paw paw style. His questionable chin often made things more interesting than they should have been, but 64/53/5 is a GREAT record against good opposition (considering the talent pool used to be shit in the division)

He also was a smart dude, always well spoken, chose his words wisely and was a great advocate of the sport.

My favorite fight of his was the first fight against Sam Peter. Showed heart and will!

I wish the man a great after boxing career!

Edited by mitukczuk, 03 August 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

He was a class act and a true Ambassador for the sport of boxing. I wonder what he'll do with his spare time now. If he doesn't have major plans, I wish one of the major alphabet organizations would give him a serious role within their organizations. He can do wonders for the sport of boxing either from the amateur/Olympic level or at the professional level. He was never an embarrassment to boxing and always gave his all in the ring.

I still love the videos of Shannon Briggs calling him out "Let's Go Champ!" and Vlad always having this "You gotta be kidding me" look on his face, especially the restaurant one. If he could have had one more fight, I would have like to see him retire Briggs with a devastating KO! He had one helluva career. Besides the brutal KO loss to the late Corrie Sanders, notwithstanding, he dominated most of his competition, until the Tyson Fury fight. I didn't think he had anything left in the tank, because he seemed very gun shy against Fury.  His fight with AJ, I thought he gave a respectable performance and went out like a champ on his shield, but he gained a world of respect from the masses. 

Retire in peace Champ and chill with Hayden! 

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

Boring or not, he's an all time great who dominated his division. Salute champ. Rest up and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

• Cshel86 likes this

#4 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

I have to admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the Klitschko bros' style, but anytime I got a chance to tune in, I wouldn't hesitate. These guys were the giants of the HW division and they contributed so much to the sport. Glad to see them ride off in the sunset and enjoy the second chapter of their lives, without the horrible shit (health problems) that haunt a lot of former fighters.

• xxxxxx, MaxPayne and mitukczuk like this

#5 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

For the record, I was one of the few who thought Vitali was better than Wlad. Wlad probably was more versatile and Vitali was straight up and down like 6 o'clock but Vitali was more consistent to me

#6 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

This guy got very little love over the years. Another safety first guy. However, he is an alltime great. At his absolute best, he was one of the best HW's to lace em up. He outboxes most of the alltime greats from any era shearly due to his freakish size and athleticism. Best wishes to him and his family in retirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users