• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

I don't see why Spence is getting credit for "dispatching" guys like Bundu and Algieri, when years ago, people clowned Keith for fighting Bundu (even though he made Keith look ordinary) and scoffed at the fact Algieri was even in the ring with Pacquiao. Oh how soon we forget.

Let's not forget how most people said Brook was "done" after the GGG fight, but as soon as Spence stopped him, Spence is now confirmed as the "real deal"!? C'mon man. I'm not saying that Spence is garbage, I'm just stating how fickle boxing fans can be. 

THIS!

• Cshel86 likes this

#12 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Brook was done etc...Spence is not all that yeah ok...Would you place money on Crawford vs Spence?

Edited by MAHDI, 22 August 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#13 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

I feel you. Firstly, you were entirely right that we won't see Crawford fighting any of the young lions at 47 as long as he's under the Arum banner let alone Spence. Secondly, there has been some hypocrisy but I think it was always asinine for people to say Kell was "done" after GGG. He fought a middleweight and lost. He didn't even get KO'd. They stopped the fight and Im not sure he couldn't have continued. I think Kell has plenty left. I wanna see him and Khan fight finally

Sadly, we've heard all of those statements and people tend to get amnesia when another fighter puts on a great performance. You know how I get when boxing fans clamor for a fight and doesn't support it (i.e. both Kovalev/Ward fights). 

What if they miraculously made a Spence vs Crawford fight and put it on PPV? Those numbers would be atrocious, if I had to guess. Boxing fans beg for fights and won't support them if a price tag is attached to it. Crawford will fight Arum-made fighters at 140 or 147, or rot on the shelf when contract disputes arise. Arum did mention him fighting the winner of Pac/Horn though. *shrugs*

As for the hypocrisy about Kell Brook, it was horrible. Fans wouldn't stop bringing up their concern about cutting down to WW and his the condition of his eye, but as soon as Spence beat him, they called him a quitter and so on. So, why should Spence get so much credit for beating a compromised "quitter"? If I had to make a bold statement, I'd say that Brook was ripe for the picking. I have much respect for Spence, so I won't stick by that statement. 

If Kell fights Khan, they need to do it at 154, but I can see Khan trying to flash his non-existent negotiating power and demand that it takes place at 150 lbs...only because I know he can't stand Brook, lol. So, Brook will probably be 3 lbs north of a weight that he shouldn't be fighting at, and he'll deprived of 4 lbs that he needs to safely make weight. I'm not even sure Khan has that much drawing power nowadays for that type of fight.  

#14 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

All I recall is Algeri being hailed as being tough as nails and would be test for Spence with his movement etc...Bundu did make Keith look ordinary yet people still were considering Thurman one of the top guys. There were many doubting Spence against Brook...after he broke his face he was said to be already spent from GGG...lol...Spence is the truth...even Floyd himself says so and if allowed to get in there I dont think anybody at 147 can withstand his body assault. Brook was trying to move but Spence showed he had the footwork to trap him and break him down...crushed him

I gave Algieri that much credit, being that he had been in against Ruslan, Manny, Khan (whom he gave a tough fight), and stayed active against that Bone dude. 

As for Thurman, let's be real here....people DID talk shit about him for not being able to stop Bundu, so the whole idea of people considering him one of the top guys was only for fantasy fight purposes. The writing was on the walls when he dominated a shot Guerrero, only for him to rally late in the fight leave Keith looking like Elephant Man. Then the scare in the Collazo fight didn't help matters. People didn't really start giving Keith credit again until the Porter fight. 

Again, people talked SO much crap about Bundu, calling him a 40-year old nobody with a padded record. The tables turned so quickly after Spence knocked him out. 

Floyd also said Chad Dawson would be the next big thing in boxing, but we see how that turned out. I'm not saying that Dawson and Spence are the same, I'm just speaking on people giving Floyd's words merit when it's convenient. 

#15 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Brook was done etc...Spence is not all that yeah ok...Would you place money on Crawford vs Spence?

2012 -2013 were my last good years of predicting and betting on fights (particularly Khan/Garcia, Garca/Matthysse, Broner/Matthysse)....since then, I've been hot garbage. 

That's an interesting fight, but I'm not so sure I'd put money on it.

#16 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

Sadly, we've heard all of those statements and people tend to get amnesia when another fighter puts on a great performance. You know how I get when boxing fans clamor for a fight and doesn't support it (i.e. both Kovalev/Ward fights). 

What if they miraculously made a Spence vs Crawford fight and put it on PPV? Those numbers would be atrocious, if I had to guess. Boxing fans beg for fights and won't support them if a price tag is attached to it. Crawford will fight Arum-made fighters at 140 or 147, or rot on the shelf when contract disputes arise. Arum did mention him fighting the winner of Pac/Horn though. *shrugs*

As for the hypocrisy about Kell Brook, it was horrible. Fans wouldn't stop bringing up their concern about cutting down to WW and his the condition of his eye, but as soon as Spence beat him, they called him a quitter and so on. So, why should Spence get so much credit for beating a compromised "quitter"? If I had to make a bold statement, I'd say that Brook was ripe for the picking. I have much respect for Spence, so I won't stick by that statement. 

If Kell fights Khan, they need to do it at 154, but I can see Khan trying to flash his non-existent negotiating power and demand that it takes place at 150 lbs...only because I know he can't stand Brook, lol. So, Brook will probably be 3 lbs north of a weight that he shouldn't be fighting at, and he'll deprived of 4 lbs that he needs to safely make weight. I'm not even sure Khan has that much drawing power nowadays for that type of fight.  

Brook fought valiantly for 11 rounds against Spence and did not look shot..That fight was tight until the body work which began from outset set in. Spence who was not his sharpest from the bell was tearing Brook's stomach and ribs apart. I see he gets no credit for going to the UK and  taking that belt so I guess he will have to stop Thurman or someone else. In my view his breaking of Brook's will was great for the young fighter who showed the ability to close his defense tight. Brook was tired after a few rounds from dealing with the body shots and physical strength of Spence.  The shots he was throwing he was putting much behind them to no avail. Talk before the bout was the same talk, Who is Spence? I think Spence reminds me of a mix of Mike the body snatcher Mccallum and Marvin Hagler... these welters are not strong enough and I just think he stops any of them...

• MAHDI likes this

#17 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

I gave Algieri that much credit, being that he had been in against Ruslan, Manny, Khan (whom he gave a tough fight), and stayed active against that Bone dude. 

As for Thurman, let's be real here....people DID talk shit about him for not being able to stop Bundu, so the whole idea of people considering him one of the top guys was only for fantasy fight purposes. The writing was on the walls when he dominated a shot Guerrero, only for him to rally late in the fight leave Keith looking like Elephant Man. Then the scare in the Collazo fight didn't help matters. People didn't really start giving Keith credit again until the Porter fight. 

Again, people talked SO much crap about Bundu, calling him a 40-year old nobody with a padded record. The tables turned so quickly after Spence knocked him out. 

Floyd also said Chad Dawson would be the next big thing in boxing, but we see how that turned out. I'm not saying that Dawson and Spence are the same, I'm just speaking on people giving Floyd's words merit when it's convenient. 

"As for Thurman, let's be real here....people DID talk shit about him for not being able to stop Bundu, so the whole idea of people considering him one of the top guys was only for fantasy fight purposes"---- lmaooooooooooooooooo. Dawson and Spence are not the same.. you are correct there. Spence seems driven and focused. Dawson was a fighter that exhibited ring dominance. He started to degenerated after leaving Floyd sr. Spence seems dedicated and mentally strong.

Edited by MAHDI, 22 August 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#18 klonopinz

klonopinz

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

i think im rolling with crawford because hes shown me excellent ring intelligence so far. he doesnt let you figure shit out and he is not predictable. spence has shown me range and power but nothing else.

• Cshel86 likes this

#19 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Crawford might get to 147 have zero power and have to run each fight just to have a chance to win in unimpressive fashion. We will see...
  • Cshel86 likes this

#20 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

Floyd also said Jesse Vargas was the future of boxing. I take what he says with a grain of salt. If Im not mistaken, one of the Mayweathers once trained Dawson. Wouldnt be surprised if he was trying to sign Dawson to MP lol

• Cshel86 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users