Photo

HBO@ (10:15PM ET/PT) Rungvisai- Gonzalez II (WBC super flyweight title)-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#71 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

I never thought Chocolotio was THAT good, I didn't buy into it. He got touched up too much for my liking, and if you get touched up like that, you have to have a chin that barely showed it, but he was bruised up after every fight, and only so long can you last before you encounter a guy who marks you up enough to get a win or stop you. 

People are now calling him a hype job, I'd say he was just overrated. A hype job is someone who was never good.

Edited by sduck, 10 September 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Franchize and MAHDI like this

#72 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I dunno, I'd say he was as good as advertised, but moving up in weight is hard work. Weight classes exist for a reason, and I think it was just a jump too far for him.

• KSUN247 likes this

#73 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

In addition to the weight classes, he showed no defense. He was all offense and got touched up. SSR was landing a lot of heavier punches than what Chocolatito was landing on him. 

#74 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

In addition to the weight classes, he showed no defense. He was all offense and got touched up. SSR was landing a lot of heavier punches than what Chocolatito was landing on him. 

I think its a vital trait of being able to go up in weight classes. But the second your going punch for punch with the bigger man its over really.

He did lose his trainer before his first fight with SSR

• KSUN247 likes this

#75 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

I never thought he was that good. Been saying it for years. He gets hit way too much and when you fight that way, you're bound to run into someone who hits harder, can take your punches or flat out outboxes you. He wasn't a bum but he was definitely hyped up by HBO in their feeble attempt to make every non American the next American superstar lol

• Cshel86 likes this

#76 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

Dude wants to retire after his 2nd loss. Whatever

#77 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Anyone who can move through 4 weight divisions and win multiple titles is a great fighter and deserving of respect.

Chocolatito is a legit P4P level fighter with skills and talent to boot.

The issue here was of a great small fighter going up against a guy who was simply too big and kept walking through his punches.

People who hate on Chocolatito don't know shit about Boxing.

Because if you did, you'd be able to recall your history lessons and see what happened when Jack Johnson fought Jess Willard. 

Willard didn't even have 1% of the skill and ability that Johnson had, but you know what he did have ? Size and endurance.

Johnson beat the dog shit out of him from a landed punches perspective but that motherfucker simply kept walking Johnson down and putting leather on him until the better fighter, Johnson, collapsed.

So don't come at me with this bullshit about "Chocolatito wasn't shit anyway" horse shit. 

Mad props to Rungvisai though. A true rags to riches story. 

#78 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Anyone who can move through 4 weight divisions and win multiple titles is a great fighter and deserving of respect.

Chocolatito is a legit P4P level fighter with skills and talent to boot.

The issue here was of a great small fighter going up against a guy who was simply too big and kept walking through his punches.

People who hate on Chocolatito don't know shit about Boxing.

Because if you did, you'd be able to recall your history lessons and see what happened when Jack Johnson fought Jess Willard. 

Willard didn't even have 1% of the skill and ability that Johnson had, but you know what he did have ? Size and endurance.

Johnson beat the dog shit out of him from a landed punches perspective but that motherfucker simply kept walking Johnson down and putting leather on him until the better fighter, Johnson, collapsed.

So don't come at me with this bullshit about "Chocolatito wasn't shit anyway" horse shit. 

Mad props to Rungvisai though. A true rags to riches story. 

The HBO cheerleading regarding him being p4p best died down after he lost to the same guy who just knocked him unconscious. Prior to that loss it was a bit sickening how he was being praised by Lampley and crew lol- Great offensive fighter whose move up in weight betrayed his non defensive style

Edited by MAHDI, 13 September 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#79 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

The HBO cheerleading regarding him being p4p best died down after he lost to the same guy who just knocked him unconscious. Prior to that loss it was a bit sickening how he was being praised by Lampley and crew lol- Great offensive fighter whose move up in weight betrayed his non defensive style

Look, HBO is going to "big up" an offensive machine of a fighter with any semblance of skill simply because they're much better marketing material than some guy like Rigo.

Does that mean Gonzalez is suddenly "better" than Rigo ? Hell no.

My P4P list (which is the only list that you should be paying attention to) before the Rungvisa win goes in this order:

Andre Ward

Terrence Crawford

Vasyl Lomachenko

Guillermo Rigondeaux

Roman Gonzalez

After this weekend there will be 2 changes.

Rungvisai joins this list as the 6th best P4P fighter in the world.

The winner of the GGG - Canelo fight becomes the 2nd best P4P fighter in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users