Photo

PPV/CC@5PM(PT)/8PM(ET)-Canelo vs. Golovkin-World Middleweight Title-SPOILERS (No Public Streams)

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

Just because GGG did not annihilate Canelo does not justify a gift decision...I really did not see him fight enough to earn a draw. But hey I am more convinced the Danny Garcia vs Thurman should have been a draw. I see that Canelo will have to be beaten up badly, kod or tkod in order for him to lose and that is obvious going back to a judge having him winning against TBE when he barely won 2 rounds lmao...Oh well, Canelo has to be kod or stopped or else he gets at minimum a draw. If I was GGG I would move on to BJS unify...Canelo is not a champion at 160

Edited by MAHDI, 21 September 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#142 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Just because GGG did not annihilate Canelo does not justify a gift decision...I really did not see him fight enough to earn a draw. But hey I am more convinced the Danny Garcia vs Thurman should have been a draw. I see that Canelo will have to be beaten up badly, kod or tkod in order for him to lose and that is obvious going back to a judge having him winning against TBE when he barely won 2 rounds lmao...Oh well, Canelo has to be kod or stopped or else he gets at minimum a draw. If I was GGG I would move on to BJS unify...Canelo is not a champion at 160

ANY fighter who is considered a "KO artist", a "power" puncher, or carries "scary" power, is responsible for providing just that...a knockout. When they can't produce the knockout, we see what they're really made of...which isn't all that much, half the time. 

I'll have to go back and watch the fight, but I'm basing it off of body language, initiative, pace, and the fact that I wasn't on the edge of my seat hoping Canelo wouldn't get knocked out. 

Again, GGG has this great jab, great footwork, power in both hands, and applies all of this pressure...we get it. Answer this though....why wasn't he able to effectively apply any of it? I swear, Canelo literally chilled on the ropes on several occasions and GGG hesitated to throw, not because he couldn't off, it's because Canelo had something waiting on him in return. 

In the later rounds of the fight, GGG landed a considerable amount of shots, which had no effect on Canelo and you could see him desperately applying pressure so the judges could see him "trying". To me, Canelo was just too comfortable in there, and anybody upset with him for not standing in front of GGG (giving Golovkin what appeared to be his only shot at winning), then I'd have to question your motives here. Only casuals expect every fight to be a rock 'em sock 'em fight. 

#143 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

ANY fighter who is considered a "KO artist", a "power" puncher, or carries "scary" power, is responsible for providing just that...a knockout. When they can't produce the knockout, we see what they're really made of...which isn't all that much, half the time. 

I'll have to go back and watch the fight, but I'm basing it off of body language, initiative, pace, and the fact that I wasn't on the edge of my seat hoping Canelo wouldn't get knocked out. 

Again, GGG has this great jab, great footwork, power in both hands, and applies all of this pressure...we get it. Answer this though....why wasn't he able to effectively apply any of it? I swear, Canelo literally chilled on the ropes on several occasions and GGG hesitated to throw, not because he couldn't off, it's because Canelo had something waiting on him in return. 

In the later rounds of the fight, GGG landed a considerable amount of shots, which had no effect on Canelo and you could see him desperately applying pressure so the judges could see him "trying". To me, Canelo was just too comfortable in there, and anybody upset with him for not standing in front of GGG (giving Golovkin what appeared to be his only shot at winning), then I'd have to question your motives here. Only casuals expect every fight to be a rock 'em sock 'em fight. 

You're probably listening too much to casuals. Could Canelo take GGG's punches was a question, not a guarantee. Like Kovalev-Ward. Kovalev is the bigger guy + KO artist, so can Ward take his punches. But knowing Ward is world class, it'd be dumb to say Ward stood no chance. 

As for fighting on the ropes, GGG was never a guy who would be dumb enough to not respect his opponent. Some fights he didn't need to, some fights he did. GGG also isn't a guy who typically smothers himself, so picking his shots while having Canelo against the ropes was not surprising in the slightest. That's what you're supposed to do.

Canelo was supposed to outbox GGG, no one said GGG was the better boxer. The problem is, is Canelo not doing much in too many moments in the fight. I don't understand the nay sayers when it comes to this fight, making up stuff that didn't happen. "Oh Canelo was just bobbing and weaving, just controlling him". Normally I could see the "casual outrage", but you guys got your Canelo goggles on right now, and are making stuff up here. Fighting for 30 seconds or less of a 3 minute round, while getting tagged the whole round, even if not by the hardest shots, is not winning the round to many people.

Canelo had a similar performance against Austin Trout, but the difference is, Canelo had to find his way in against Trout. Against GGG, he didn't have to find his way, he just chose not to fight, and it was obvious. People who say that GGG was beating his ass and Canelo couldn't do anything, obviously don't know what they're talking about, but Canelo chose to move when he didn't have to, so it gave the illusion or the realization GGG was winning the fight. You can't just say you were the better fighter, you have to SHOW IT.

• flazi likes this

#144 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

I don't follow your logic at all.

GGG is all that and Canelo was a great opponent, which is why GGG didn't walk through him and blast him inside 3 rounds.

Unlike a lot of idiot fucks, I predicted that Canelo would win by Split Decision because I remember seeing him take clean shots from Shane Mosley and not even flinch. I knew he had a great chin and that chin would get even better at 160 lbs.

So yes, Canelo was good enough to not allow GGG to simply not walk through him.

Compubox is generally rather dubious, but when you apply the same dubious scale to both fighters there is a "leveling of the playing field" aspect in there.

Canelo got credit for a ton of punches that didn't land. Don't believe me ? Look below:

https://www.reddit.c...from_canelo_vs/

That's some horse shit right there. Two blocked punches and the counter goes from 7-9.

I'm positive that GGG got some shady boosts from punches that didn't land as well, but the same standard was seemingly applied. He out-landed Canelo in the majority of the rounds and in a fight where neither fighter was visibly hurt, that's how I judge who won.

116-112 for GGG. 

• MAHDI likes this

#145 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Ya'll act like GGG shouldn't have gotten the decision JUST BECAUSE he didn't absolutely blast and beat Canelo from pillar to post.

That's some fucked up logic right there.

Yes Canelo was better than a lot of people thought and did better than a number of people thought he would do.

GGG still won that fight though. He threw more, landed more, landed more in the majority of the rounds, wasn't hurt and was the one pushing the action.

Canelo did good work in spots but was ultimately too inconsistent. He'd win the first minute of a round and then lose the last 2 minutes in some of the rounds.

You can think otherwise but there are also people out here who think Drake would kill Big Daddy Kane in a rap battle, so there you have it.

• The Original MrFactor, flazi, MAHDI and 1 other like this

#146 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

You can think otherwise but there are also people out here who think Drake would kill Big Daddy Kane in a rap battle, so there you have it.

DAMN yo! Drake vs Kane! Say it ain't so! LOL!!!

Edited by KSUN247, 21 September 2017 - 08:05 PM.

• MaxPayne likes this

#147 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

DAMN yo! Drake vs Kane! Say it ain't so! LOL!!!

Drake would sing. Yo you just reminded me of Ghost Face Killah ether of Drake. That shit was funny. "He take scented flavor showers!"
Kids don't know who Big Daddy Kane is....

I wonder what the ppv numbers are. And Oscar is very quiet...... you know who is happy, Charlo.
  • flazi, MaxPayne and KSUN247 like this

#148 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

I rewatched the fight again on the big screen this time. The draw was completely justified in my opinion. The HBO commentary was disgustingly biased. You give a guy credit for coming forward and lambaste a fighter for backing up and not being busy enough. Cool. I thought Canelo wasn't busy enough either. But to act like GGG was landing and using the compubox numbers throughout the fight to justify the point...then the final tally comes out and COMPLETELY do a 180 because they surprisingly don't line up with your narrative is ridiculous. All fight you heard about how many "big right hands" GGG was landing and the compubox numbers supporting him winning but then the compubox numbers show Canelo landing more power punches are a higher %. Not to mention, his power punches landed cleaner. 

End of the day, IDGAF who was supposed to be the bigger puncher, who was supposed to counterpunch and what the narrative was supposed to be. I scored the fight multiple times based on what actually happened. The synopsis of what I saw was Canelo came out early and outboxed GGG for the first 3 rounds. GGG was resilient and applied pressure throughout. Canelo's output dipped significantly at a time where GGG's increased. This trend continued until the 10th where Canelo had a big round. I thought the 11th was the hardest to judge. Canelo took the 12th in my opinion. 118-110 on ANY scorecard is ridiculous. I find it hypocritical also that Byrd was rightfully ripped for her card but nobody who had GGG winning 118-110 were. To say Canelo didn't win at least 4 rounds is silly to me as well

• Cshel86 likes this

#149 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

Max Kellerman disgusted me by saying judge Byrd had a "bad night."  No Max, she has had about five bad boxing cards, and three bad MMA cards.  She should be banned from any boxing/MMA judging for the rest of her life.

#150 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

I don't follow your logic at all.

GGG is all that and Canelo was a great opponent, which is why GGG didn't walk through him and blast him inside 3 rounds.

Unlike a lot of idiot fucks, I predicted that Canelo would win by Split Decision because I remember seeing him take clean shots from Shane Mosley and not even flinch. I knew he had a great chin and that chin would get even better at 160 lbs.

So yes, Canelo was good enough to not allow GGG to simply not walk through him.

Compubox is generally rather dubious, but when you apply the same dubious scale to both fighters there is a "leveling of the playing field" aspect in there.

Canelo got credit for a ton of punches that didn't land. Don't believe me ? Look below:

https://www.reddit.c...from_canelo_vs/

That's some horse shit right there. Two blocked punches and the counter goes from 7-9.

I'm positive that GGG got some shady boosts from punches that didn't land as well, but the same standard was seemingly applied. He out-landed Canelo in the majority of the rounds and in a fight where neither fighter was visibly hurt, that's how I judge who won.

116-112 for GGG. 

I can understand if you don't follow my logic, in addition, I can't follow your logic when you say that you could tell Canelo had a chin, based off of flush shots that an old Mosley landed on him. Even when Mosley wasn't old, he wasn't a crushing puncher at 154. Yes, he knocked out a few guys at 154, but when his opponents were on his level or higher, he wasn't knocking them out. 

I don't see how Canelo got credit for a bunch of shots that he didn't land, when people argue that he didn't do enough of shit to deserve the rounds he won. Lampley called a BUNCH of right hands that GGG didn't land, but what else should we expect? 

GGG had ALL of the advantages, including the openings that Canelo gave him when throwing body shots that GGG didn't do enough of. I believe people are giving Canelo hell for not taking enough risks, mainly because GGG wasn't able to pull it off. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users