• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Seems like Wards called it a day and fair enough to the man if he doesn't fancy it anymore best get out with as many brain cells intact as possible.

• Franchize likes this

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

He was a class act. He gave boxing lessons to just about everyone he fought. He was a dog in the ring and a gentleman outside of the ring. Boxing is not a sport to fool with if you can't get up to do the required prep work. Our last male Olympic Gold Medalist and he never got the recognition he deserved. That's a shame. He was always overlooked by the media and casual fans.

I would like to see him continue as a boxing analyst either on HBO or PBC. That may prove difficult on PBC with the bad blood between ROC Nation and PBC (Al Haymon).

One of my favorite fighters!
  • flazi and Dolimite like this

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,935 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

That headline just made my heart drop, but also put a smile on my face. There really weren't too many more meaningful fights out there for him and he gave us two Kovalev fights, when nobody thought he'd ever fight him. 

The writing was on the wall, as he hinted at retirement over the past year (or less), I'm just glad he did it on his terms. A Gold Medalist, a Super Six winner, two division champ and retiring as a unified champ, is a classy look. 

Great career, champ! I'm sure we'll still him commentating, and I pray that he resists the urge to come back. 

• flazi and Dolimite like this

#4 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

I think he's just taking a break. He'll be back when he feels ready, when the public demands it, and when the money talks.

People retire when they feel like they don't have it anymore, and Ward didn't show that, despite what he says.

• MAHDI likes this

#5 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Too soon, but thank you for being an ambassador to our sport! The Classic Man! Much love and respect!

#6 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

I think he's just taking a break. He'll be back when he feels ready, when the public demands it, and when the money talks.

People retire when they feel like they don't have it anymore, and Ward didn't show that, despite what he says.

He will be back.. 32 is young and he has not taken severe punishment. Too back to back kovalev bouts and I understand.. Let's see what Stevenson does now that Ward retires. We may see Badou Jack and Stevenson

Edited by MAHDI, 21 September 2017 - 06:48 PM.

• The Original MrFactor likes this

#7 mitukczuk

mitukczuk

Lightweight

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

He was just too good.

Both a blessing and a curse. Same as Floyd, he could have had more exciting fights but he decided to stick to boxing safe and teaching them boys how its done - And I dont blame him at all.

Class act, Olympic gold, undefeated, champ....I hope he stands by his word!

• Franchize and KSUN247 like this

#8 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

I think he retired 1-2 years too early.

The reason I say this is because he had at least 2-3 money fights left and is young enough to still be near the peak of his abilities.

I would have liked to have seen him strike a deal with and then beat the dog shit out of Aduckis Chickenshit, thereby unifying the titles.

Then a fight against Badou Jack likely would have earned him another very good payday.

Lastly, and I know this sounds nuts, but why not a fight against Tony Bellew at Cruiserweight to win a strap at that weight and then call it a day as a 3 weight champion with 2 lineal championships at 168 and 175 ? 

Those 3 fights alone would have easily netted him another 15 - 20 million bucks easily.

Now on the other hand, Ward and his people aren't stupid. Not only do they know about figures such as the above being left on the table, but you know what else they know ?

How much money Ward has already made and wisely invested and saved up for the rest of his years and his family.

So I feel as though they did the math and realized that they were good with cashing out a little early in the evening, so to speak.

Regardless, post 2000, he's the best fighter in Boxing after Floyd. It's not like that spot was going to change even if he had a few more fights before the curtain fell.

Enjoy retirement Champ. You earned every moment of it. 

• KSUN247 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users