• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

I maintain a ranking of who I feel are the very elite fighters in the game. 

These fighters are ranked on the basis of the following facets:

1) Technical Ability:

Good defense, good movement, crisp punches that are correctly thrown, ability to fight in the middle of the ring, in the clinch and also on the ropes, can throw punches both going forward and backward.

A fighter who shows most or even all of these traits is considered a "technically elite fighter".

E.g.  Terrence Crawford, Rigo, Keith Thurman, Canelo

2) Physical Gifts:

Power that carries through higher weight classes, hand speed, foot speed, an excellent chin and reflexes.

A fighter who shows most or even all of these traits is considered a "physically elite fighter".

E.g. Terrence Crawford, Vasyl Lomachenko, Errol Spence Jr., GGG, Wilder, Joshua 

3) Pedigree:

Being the least subjective of the facets, this may be the most important. Has the fighter beaten other elite or excellent fighters ? Have they gone through multiple weight classes ?

A fighter who beaten other elite or excellent fighters and/or gone through different weight classes is considered a "elite fighter via pedigree".

E.g. Keith Thurman, Rigo, Lomachenko, Sor Rungvisai

So with that in mind, who are the Pound for Pound Elite Fighters in Boxing today ?

▲ TERRENCE CRAWFORD

Comfortably the best fighter in the world in my opinion. Technically as sound as it gets, and has extreme power south of 140 lbs. Has that Andre Ward "unbeatable" vibe to him and will likely reign at 147 lbs. as he did at 140 lbs. Wiped out guys like Indongo and Postol like they were nothing.

▲ VASYL LOMACHENKO

Perhaps the most exciting fighter in the world, employing a highly technical but unique style that provides action, great movement, knockouts and great defense. Beat an unbeaten Gary Russell Jr. and Nicolas Walters and dismantled both fighters in either fight. Fight against Rigondeaux will further cement his spot as the #2 on my list, if he wins.

▲ GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX

Perhaps the most technically perfect fighter in the world. Has huge power at his weight class to boot and hardly ever seems to get hit. Inactivity has hurt him but he has the elite victory over Nonito Donaire. If he is able to beat Lomachenko in December then he may pole-vault to the number one spot on my list, given how large an underdog he is.

▲ SOR RUNGVISAI

To be the man, you have to beat the man. No other fighter on this list has a pair of victories such as Sor Rungvisai, who beat a former member of this list not once, but twice including one brutal KO. His defense is more based on toughness but the fluidity of his attack and his conditioning are just marvelous. If he beats Naoya Inoue and goes up and beats Luis Nery then he would get even higher on this list.

▲ KEITH THURMAN

Thurman's power, while overrated, belies the fact that he's solid in practically every area. He owns wins against Garcia and Porter which rightfully make him "the man" at 147 lbs. I think he's technically solid, but would lose in a fight against Errol Spence Jr. and also Terrence Crawford.

Guys on the Outside Looking In:

CANELO/GGG

Whoever wins their rematch (if it happens) gets thrust into the mix.

ERROL SPENCE JR.

If he beats Thurman (assuming that fight gets made) then he also would be in the mix.

ANTHONY JOSHUA/DEONTAY WILDER

Whoever wins this fight gets in on my book.

MIKEY GARCIA/JORGE LINARES

Whoever wins this fight gets in on my book.

LEO SANTA CRUZ

Needs to win the rubber match against Carl Frampton and maybe another excellent win.

#2 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

So.....was Canelo considered elite before the GGG fight? I'm only asking because we had this discussion here about 3 years ago after the Lara fight.

Most say that Canelo is limited or they grudgingly give him praise for his "skill", but I'm sure they would've given GGG the "GOAT" status, had he gone out there and whitewashed him. Just asking. 

• Franchize likes this

#3 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

p4p always feels like you need to go for a few weight classes.

#4 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

So.....was Canelo considered elite before the GGG fight? I'm only asking because we had this discussion here about 3 years ago after the Lara fight.

Most say that Canelo is limited or they grudgingly give him praise for his "skill", but I'm sure they would've given GGG the "GOAT" status, had he gone out there and whitewashed him. Just asking. 

I didn't consider him elite at the time because I felt that he was lacking in the "hallmark victory" department.

He beat names, but the circumstances under which those victories came make him fall a step below the fighters who I have named.

My stance was always that whoever won the GGG - Canelo fight would be catapulted into my list. Since that fight was judged to be a draw, nothing changes. Both guys are on the outside looking in.

Whoever wins the re-match (assuming it happens) gets into the list and probably goes as high as Number 2, behind Terrence Crawford.

#5 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

Being able to go through different weight classes tends to be a huge plus being ranked highly on my list.

The lone exception being the top Heavyweight, who generally gets in by default. 

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

I didn't consider him elite at the time because I felt that he was lacking in the "hallmark victory" department.

He beat names, but the circumstances under which those victories came make him fall a step below the fighters who I have named.

My stance was always that whoever won the GGG - Canelo fight would be catapulted into my list. Since that fight was judged to be a draw, nothing changes. Both guys are on the outside looking in.

Whoever wins the re-match (assuming it happens) gets into the list and probably goes as high as Number 2, behind Terrence Crawford.

I get what you're saying, but can we really blame him for those "names" accepting those terms to fight him? If I remember correctly, the only guy that truly had to move up to fight him, was Khan. For everybody else, 1 lb shouldn't be such a huge deal. 

Honestly, I gave him his just due after the Trout fight, when everybody thought he'd get his ears boxed off. That was considered his "step up" fight, and he didn't go out there and get embarrassed like most thought. 

I don't believe "elite" status should be based off of one fight (in this case, a GGG/Canelo rematch)....unless you're strictly speaking of a P4P slot. 

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 18,960 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

As Max mentioned, going through different weight classes is a huge plus. I just don't like it when a guy finally hits that brick wall and loses, after moving up so many weight classes. I only say that because, nowadays, "fans" are ready for the guy to lose, so they can say he was "never that good" or he was "carefully matched" up until that point.

In the throwback days, when a guy moved up so many weight classes and finally lost, they would praise him for all he did up until that point. That's not the case nowadays. I already see Chocolatito getting thrown to the wolves after his recent knockout loss. 

• MaxPayne likes this

#8 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

As Max mentioned, going through different weight classes is a huge plus. I just don't like it when a guy finally hits that brick wall and loses, after moving up so many weight classes. I only say that because, nowadays, "fans" are ready for the guy to lose, so they can say he was "never that good" or he was "carefully matched" up until that point.

In the throwback days, when a guy moved up so many weight classes and finally lost, they would praise him for all he did up until that point. That's not the case nowadays. I already see Chocolatito getting thrown to the wolves after his recent knockout loss. 

Yeah people already calling Chocolatito overrated because he was fighting bigger men. Sooner or later everyone ends up going too big.

#9 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

Errol has to be in the top 5! Come on. Bud is good but Errol has the better resume. I hope they meet within the next year. Thurman has too many flaws but he has beaten who they put in front of him. I would put Anthony Joshua in the top 10 if not 5. Lomo has 10 fights... Rigo I hope won't be over his head...Canelo has an pretty damn good resume.

#10 mitukczuk

mitukczuk

Lightweight

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Man, what is P4P nowadays rly...

I dont get the ranking anymore. Dudes with 8 pro fights are fighting for number 1, others with 30 fights against mostly nobody's are considered the elite. And motherfucking Jeff Horn is number 8 on boxrec list. I mean..the fuck?!

Since Floyd left, I have been mostly enjoying boxing as a whole (when possible) rather then focusing on names. The only guys that are really proven and fkn battle tested is Canelo and Crawford,..."I must confess that all the rest is no contest..."

• KSUN247 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users