Photo

ESPN@9PM(PT)/6PM(PT)-Lomachenko-Rigondeaux-SPOILERS (No HBO Card Discussion)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#71 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,318 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Loving the fact Teddy wouldnt let Smith talk haha

#72 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

After a first round were nothing happened. (I gave it to Rigo,) Loma broke him down viciously and was the far-superior fighter. I still put GGG and TC ahead of him because of level of competition and the damn Salido loss! But I think Loma is top three.

Jack

• KSUN247 likes this

#73 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

What is fucking stinker... Rigo didnt want it after the 1st round. He was holding on for dear life. I'm sure they will come up with some BS XRay photo showing he had termites or some BS thing going on. It was clear to those watching though that Lomachenko sets a pace that his opponents cant keep up with. Even World class opponents like Rigondeaux. 

Walters and now Rigondeaux, two world class, best of the best guys just quit because they couldnt take Lomachenko's swarming, non stop pressure attack. Lomachenko reminds me so much of a small Joe Calzaghe. A guy who can just throw punches in bunches with a seemingly endless fuel tank. When you think about hitting him, he's already hit you 5 times in the face in the blink of an eye. On top of that, he's already moved. Its freaky how he does that. The guy is incredibly fun to watch. 

To beat Lomachenko, you are going to have to commit to his body. You're not gonna hit his head. You'll have to concede your own head and really fucking plaster his body in the hopes that you can slow him down before he lumps up your eyes. 

Next up... I hear they are talking about Mikey Garcia. I'd love to see that. Lomachenko is big enough for 140. He can probably beat all of the entry levels at 140. I eventually see him vs Broner somehow, LOL! Garcia is also one of my favorite fighters. He's got a very high boxing IQ, can hit to the body and could make this a very interesting matchup. If it happens, I got Lomachenko by stoppage... Why not?? Mikey doesnt have the speed to keep up, like most. I think he will go to Loma's body, but his conventional style and desire to "just box," will do him in. When I say commit to the body, dont even bother to waste time with head shots against Lomachenko. You'll miss and waste energy while getting hit in the face. Good luck to whoever's next...

#74 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

What is fucking stinker... Rigo didnt want it after the 1st round. He was holding on for dear life. I'm sure they will come up with some BS XRay photo showing he had termites or some BS thing going on. It was clear to those watching though that Lomachenko sets a pace that his opponents cant keep up with. Even World class opponents like Rigondeaux. 

Walters and now Rigondeaux, two world class, best of the best guys just quit because they couldnt take Lomachenko's swarming, non stop pressure attack. Lomachenko reminds me so much of a small Joe Calzaghe. A guy who can just throw punches in bunches with a seemingly endless fuel tank. When you think about hitting him, he's already hit you 5 times in the face in the blink of an eye. On top of that, he's already moved. Its freaky how he does that. The guy is incredibly fun to watch. 

To beat Lomachenko, you are going to have to commit to his body. You're not gonna hit his head. You'll have to concede your own head and really fucking plaster his body in the hopes that you can slow him down before he lumps up your eyes. 

Next up... I hear they are talking about Mikey Garcia. I'd love to see that. Lomachenko is big enough for 140. He can probably beat all of the entry levels at 140. I eventually see him vs Broner somehow, LOL! Garcia is also one of my favorite fighters. He's got a very high boxing IQ, can hit to the body and could make this a very interesting matchup. If it happens, I got Lomachenko by stoppage... Why not?? Mikey doesnt have the speed to keep up, like most. I think he will go to Loma's body, but his conventional style and desire to "just box," will do him in. When I say commit to the body, dont even bother to waste time with head shots against Lomachenko. You'll miss and waste energy while getting hit in the face. Good luck to whoever's next...

Alot of that shit from Calzaghe was meaningless shoe shining. He always got credit for just throwing his hands... I  mean Cal did work in his career, but lol... Lomanchenko is more calculating throwing punches that hit the mark. Rigo spent the entire night getting hit with short shots when he was bending over looking for change in the ring. Garcia will hit Loma harder than he ever has been and he is not going to quit that will be a good fight.

Edited by MAHDI, 12 December 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#75 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Well I said someone was gonna get their ass whooped, and it looks like Rigo was the one. I didn't think he was gonna quit though, disgraceful move no matter how you look at it. Rigo had every disadvantage, but quitting is always going to make you look bad, especially when people have been vouching for you your whole career, when they put you on that pedestal. Maybe this proves Rigondeaux wasn't as good as we all thought? Or we can say Vasyl is better than we all thought, but the former makes more sense tbh.

#76 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Well I said someone was gonna get their ass whooped, and it looks like Rigo was the one. I didn't think he was gonna quit though, disgraceful move no matter how you look at it. Rigo had every disadvantage, but quitting is always going to make you look bad, especially when people have been vouching for you your whole career, when they put you on that pedestal. Maybe this proves Rigondeaux wasn't as good as we all thought? Or we can say Vasyl is better than we all thought, but the former makes more sense tbh.

That said, I still want to see Rigo/Frampton or Rigo/Santa Cruz..

• KSUN247 likes this

#77 KSUN247

KSUN247

Lightweight

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

That said, I still want to see Rigo/Frampton or Rigo/Santa Cruz..

They didn't want any part of Rigo then. Now, they saw how easy of a time Loma had with Rigo, they may get some intestinal fortitude and entertain the thought of fighting him next year. I still would love to see Rigo sleep both of them for talking nonsense and avoiding him. But it's gonna be hard to get a network to buy into a Rigo fight now with him getting embarrassed, and quitting.
  • The Original MrFactor likes this

#78 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,216 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

No hate here, but I'm still trying to see how this "victory" did anything for Lomachenko. Moreover, I'm wondering how it is that Rigo got embarrassed, other than the fact that he quit and didn't do much in the fight. 

As far as I saw, Lomachenko raised more questions than answered them. He had to result to hammer fists and an overall look of frustration. Again, if he's as great as he says he is, why wasn't he able to avoid Rigo engaging in clinches and bending down most of the fight?

I mean, I see if Rigo ran all night....but he was still in punching range and Lomachenko couldn't get off as he'd like. Lomachenko had the movement to create shots and leave Rigo in the wind, but that didn't really seem to happen. 

At the end of the day, this fight reminded me of Pacquiao vs Mosley...that's the night the world truly realized that Manny had trouble cutting off the ring. Mind you, Shane was using lateral movement all night, not running...and he did that with a bad achilles. 

If anybody can clinch Lomanchenko (within reasonable limits), bend down to avoid certain shots and make him hesitate to commit to shots, AND have the balls to push the fight to him, then we may see him truly tested. 

I won't shit on his body work, I'm simply shitting on those (including the media) who are overhyping him. I mean, again, I like Lomachenko, but they're giving him the Pacquiao hype and it's sickening. Bradley has completely sold his soul to whatever gremlin or entity, but his commentating was repulsive on Saturday night. It sounded like he was sipping some brown liquor out of those big ass McDonald's cups. 

Stephen A. Smith was repulsive and irritating, as always. It's almost like Bob makes their jobs easy at ESPN....just put the guys on TV who will make it easy for non-boxing enthusiasts can clamor over them and fool the public into thinking they know what's really going on. 

It reminds me of the Chicago Bulls and Lakers' run in the NBA when those teams seemed unstoppable....or more like the current Warriors...people are only fans of them because they're winners. Sort of like people being 11th hour Patriots fans, we all know they're winners and it's easy money most of the time. 

Since the Jeff Horn decision over Manny, ESPN has gotten more attention, regarding boxing....but they've become the casual fan's brain and mouthpiece. If an analyst can get on TV and openly admit that he has no fuckin idea who Jeff Horn is and automatically give Manny the W before the first bells rings, that tells you all you need to know about the shitshow that's running rampant over there at ESPN. 

#79 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

I agree what Cshel said. I don't see this Jesus of boxing in Loma. I mean he did nothing special. He fought a 37 year old who jumped 2 weight classes up. The announcers were terrible. For some reason I thought HBO had the fight but they had Salido fight... anyway when dude tried to say that Mayweather poisoned by boxing by going undefeated I turned it off. They justified Loma's lost to Salido as one of many great fighters and let's not forget THIS DUDE HAS ONLY 11 FIGHTS BUT HE IS THE WORLD'S BEST!!! Get the fuck out of here!

#80 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

I don't put a lot of stock into the Salido loss. We put way too much emphasis on fighters having undefeated records.

Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest of them all and he had damn near 20 losses.

The same for Jack Johnson, Ali, Foreman, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran.

Salido is an extremely awkward, tough and dedicated body punching fighter who is simply a tough match-up for someone new to the pro game. That fight was filled with fouls and low blows, and it ain't like Lomachenko got KO'd. He lost a very close split decision so you have to put things in perspective.

They key point for me is, even as the significantly bigger man, Lomachenko didn't use size to beat Rigo. He used speed and angles. This isn't like a larger fighter simply walking a smaller man down and putting that pressure on him. Loma fought a small man's fight against the smaller man.

That's why I was pretty impressed overall and think it's a great win for Loma.

Is he on equal footing with Terrence Crawford, GGG or Canelo ? Not quite yet I suppose after thinking about it, simply because he needs to have more fights.

However, I am ready to say that I think Lomachenko is on even footing with Keef Thurman and Errol Spence Jr. Sure you could argue that the Porter and Garcia wins are better than the Rigo and Walters wins...but Loma TKO'd both of those guys while Keef won narrow decisions. 

I think Spence is the truth like a motherfucker, but he has only the 1 truly quality win on his resume (Brook) and needs a few more before he gets onto that elite list with Crawford, GGG and Canelo

So to summarize:

At the top of the mountain:

Crawford, GGG, Canelo and Sor Rungvisai

Near the top:

Lomachenko, Thurman and Spence Jr.

At the base of the mountain:

Joshua, Wilder and Santa Cruz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users