Photo

ESPN@9PM(PT)/6PM(PT)-Lomachenko-Rigondeaux-SPOILERS (No HBO Card Discussion)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

I agree what Cshel said. I don't see this Jesus of boxing in Loma. I mean he did nothing special. He fought a 37 year old who jumped 2 weight classes up. The announcers were terrible. For some reason I thought HBO had the fight but they had Salido fight... anyway when dude tried to say that Mayweather poisoned by boxing by going undefeated I turned it off. They justified Loma's lost to Salido as one of many great fighters and let's not forget THIS DUDE HAS ONLY 11 FIGHTS BUT HE IS THE WORLD'S BEST!!! Get the fuck out of here!

Man listen, I watched the fight again last night and heard that bullshit. I hate them, I swear. A loss is a loss, especially when you didn't really do shit the whole fight. Tessitore has always been on the fence when calling fights, Kriegel (sp) is great at what he does (anything other than covering boxing), and Bradley is just horrible nowadays. 

Bradleys' stupid ass went on to say that Lomachenko is a true professional because he's learned to foul a fighter back, when he gets fouled. Dafuq? How is it even professional to begin with, if you feel the need to foul or foul back? Don't get me wrong, if that's what you have to do, then do it. Just don't say it's professional. 

• flazi likes this

#82 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

I don't put a lot of stock into the Salido loss. We put way too much emphasis on fighters having undefeated records.

Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest of them all and he had damn near 20 losses.

The same for Jack Johnson, Ali, Foreman, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran.

Salido is an extremely awkward, tough and dedicated body punching fighter who is simply a tough match-up for someone new to the pro game. That fight was filled with fouls and low blows, and it ain't like Lomachenko got KO'd. He lost a very close split decision so you have to put things in perspective.

I see what you saying, however, I'd have to say that the Salido loss was a loss, regardless of how it happened. It's not like he got robbed or DG'd, but he just didn't do enough to win, in my opinion. 

Regardless of the low blows, he should have been able to make adjustments and do what he needed to do to get the W. That loss doesn't make him any less of a great fighter, but you'd have to think about the balls on him and his team to call Salido out on his second pro fight.

Somewhere in their minds, they felt there were some flaws they could expose, but Lom just wasn't able to do it. You don't call out a guy like Salido in your 2nd pro fight, unless you either have confidence or you're overestimating him (banking on him being shopworn, etc.)

The only thing I HATE about the media and networks is the fact that they're trying to "erase" that loss by making excuses for him. They tried to do it for Sergey after the first Ward fight, though it was debateable. Point is, Sergey showed flaws in the first fight and they were being exploited in each round. My guess is that since Ward doesn't have fan-friendly power, his shots were overlooked by those who favor power punchers. 

At the end of the day, I feel as though the media and networks are poisoning fans' minds by making excuses for Loma's loss to Salido. The worst that can happen here is Loma getting comfortable and knowing that excuses will be made if he ever comes up short again. How will he learn from that? We see what happened with Sergey....he made excuse after excuse, got knocked out in the rematch, and now they're praising him again for knocking out an overmatched opponent.

• flazi likes this

#83 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I am gutted they didnt get a rematch with Salido but can ya do.

#84 MaxPayne

MaxPayne

Welterweight

• Moderators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

I see what you saying, however, I'd have to say that the Salido loss was a loss, regardless of how it happened. It's not like he got robbed or DG'd, but he just didn't do enough to win, in my opinion. 

Regardless of the low blows, he should have been able to make adjustments and do what he needed to do to get the W. That loss doesn't make him any less of a great fighter, but you'd have to think about the balls on him and his team to call Salido out on his second pro fight.

Somewhere in their minds, they felt there were some flaws they could expose, but Lom just wasn't able to do it. You don't call out a guy like Salido in your 2nd pro fight, unless you either have confidence or you're overestimating him (banking on him being shopworn, etc.)

The only thing I HATE about the media and networks is the fact that they're trying to "erase" that loss by making excuses for him. They tried to do it for Sergey after the first Ward fight, though it was debateable. Point is, Sergey showed flaws in the first fight and they were being exploited in each round. My guess is that since Ward doesn't have fan-friendly power, his shots were overlooked by those who favor power punchers. 

At the end of the day, I feel as though the media and networks are poisoning fans' minds by making excuses for Loma's loss to Salido. The worst that can happen here is Loma getting comfortable and knowing that excuses will be made if he ever comes up short again. How will he learn from that? We see what happened with Sergey....he made excuse after excuse, got knocked out in the rematch, and now they're praising him again for knocking out an overmatched opponent.

I'm not down-playing the loss.

I accept that Lomachenko at that point in his career simply bit off a little but more than he could chew. Weight and low blows aside, Salido landed plenty of clean body shots and Loma looked tentative in there until late in the fight, when there simply wasn't enough time to turn it around.

To me, a very close Split-Decision loss (unless it's some De La Hoya - Mayweather type shit) is very different from a wide UD or a stoppage/KO.

So yes, Lomachenko lost a close fight fair and square but I believe that experience helped him develop a lot as a fighter.

He then went on to beat Garry Russell in a fight where I know for a fact that many people thought Russell would beat him soundly.

I hope that the Salido re-match happens. Russell is also talking crazy these days so I hope they can make that re-match happen too. 

I'll tell you what though, Lomachenko wins both of those rematches.

He also beats every other Super Featherweight and also beats Mikey Garcia, Gervonta Davis and Jorge Linares.

At 130 lbs. and 135 lbs. I just can't see any of these guys being able to withstand his style and abilities. Too many angles, too much speed and too much activity in the ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users