Photo

How do you think Mayweather will fair in the UFC?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

Some people say your first choice is usually the right one, and most people, and I'm sure most of us here think Floyd is about to embarrass himself, but I always remember what George Foreman said about Mayweather earlier in his career. Foreman called Mayweather a "natural", and said it's rare you find a guy who's a natural fighter. With that said, that makes me reconsider Floyd's chances. There's no way he's going to master MMA in 6-8 months, but the fact that he's a fighter, a natural talent at it, makes me more and more consider the possibility that Floyd would still do well in MMA, and maybe even in UFC.

I knew Conor would do well in Boxing, because he's still a fighter. I never thought he'd beat any top guys, but he's still going to be in there and make boxers think and question decisions they make or be punished for it. At the end of the day, a fighter has developed an instinct to deal and avoid damage, and that's something that carries over, even if it isn't masterful in that profession.

There are some MMA events that aren't as evolved as UFC, and you see guys who aren't jack of all trades, you see pure wrestlers, pure boxers, pure kickboxers, pure karate, etc. And some of these guys still do well against a style they're not trained for, because they still have a talent for fighting. And that makes me consider, Mayweather being a natural fighter, maybe he won't do as bad as we all think.

Thoughts?

• KSUN247 likes this

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

I think time will tell about Floyd in MMA. Unless, he's just trolling us and possibly entertaining a Connor McGregor UFC rematch, then folks are gonna pay for another Mayweather event AGAIN. People wanna see him lose and others want to see him keep winning and there are those who just want him to GO AWAY! He did his thing in boxing, retiring undefeated. he should focus now on being a PROMOTER, but he loves the spotlight. And seeing how most of the fighters under Mayweather Promotions aren't that good, except for Badou Jack, he got his work cut out for him in finding new talent. 

However, I think Floyd will train like a madman if he is really serious. He's already so defensively minded, that I don't think this will be too hard for him. His footwork is exceptional and so is his timing and accuracy. But his reflexes have slowed down A LOT and Father Time is UNDEFEATED for a reason. With him training with Tyron Woodley, who is a crazy defensive guy, Floyd should be in good hands. Woodley was a wrestler and has crazy take-down defense. If Floyd can master, or at least be semi-decent in that category, he'll be fine against the right opponent. Only thing, I really see him having trouble with is preventing leg kicks or getting caught with a spinning backhand (things which he isn't used to in boxing). If he gets taken to the ground, it's OVER. He'll be grounded and pounded until he's TKO'ed or taps out. 

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I personally don't see him doing it. As mentioned, I can't see him mastering MMA in a matter of months. It actually sounds goofy listening to him talk about what he's been working on and what he's good at, regarding MMA. 

At the end of the day, we've seen stranger things in the sport. 

#4 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

1 a natural fighter always has a chance in any matchup 2 Floyd would see a spinning backhand a mile away 3 he doesn't have to master only become comfortable he's already a defensive master and stand up all he has to do is grasp the concept of dodging and ducking takedowns leg kicks he will have to worry about aside from the obvious hes a Fish Out of Water but I call him and amphibian if he can handle learning takedown defense. As me and one of my Mayweather hater friends have argued over the last couple weeks why would an MMA fighter go for the quick win and submit him when they have the chance to do with no other boxer has which is knock him out if I were them I would take that chance continue to stand up for the most part if you like kicks here and there but I'd be looking for the fist KO. No UFC fighter will get accolades for choking out or submitting Floyd Mayweather but they will become immortalized if they knock him out in a stand-up match due to the fact that no one has out slugged and connected or knocked out Floyd in a way that anyone in Combat Sports would have to respect. If you out wrestle an Olympic wrestler and you're not up here wrestler you're a bad dude if you out karate a karate expert and that's not your thing you're a bad dude if you out Jitsu a Jiu-Jitsu artist you're a bad dude if you out box a boxer and you're not a boxer you're a bad bad dude I'd rather get that status then go for the simpler route but that's just me

I see him doing it for the fact big money is involved the only way it can hurt his legacy if he gets knocked out by punches aside from that he can lose by Tapout or he can lose by submission and he'll still be held in high regard even more so due to the fact that he made the jump and tried.
  • KSUN247 likes this

#5 mgrover

mgrover

Cruiserweight

• Moderators
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Vs any top 10 he gets rag dolled and beaten up. if he fights someone like cm punk yeah maybe he could win.

#6 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

I think time will tell about Floyd in MMA. Unless, he's just trolling us and possibly entertaining a Connor McGregor UFC rematch, then folks are gonna pay for another Mayweather event AGAIN. People wanna see him lose and others want to see him keep winning and there are those who just want him to GO AWAY! He did his thing in boxing, retiring undefeated. he should focus now on being a PROMOTER, but he loves the spotlight. And seeing how most of the fighters under Mayweather Promotions aren't that good, except for Badou Jack, he got his work cut out for him in finding new talent. 

However, I think Floyd will train like a madman if he is really serious. He's already so defensively minded, that I don't think this will be too hard for him. His footwork is exceptional and so is his timing and accuracy. But his reflexes have slowed down A LOT and Father Time is UNDEFEATED for a reason. With him training with Tyron Woodley, who is a crazy defensive guy, Floyd should be in good hands. Woodley was a wrestler and has crazy take-down defense. If Floyd can master, or at least be semi-decent in that category, he'll be fine against the right opponent. Only thing, I really see him having trouble with is preventing leg kicks or getting caught with a spinning backhand (things which he isn't used to in boxing). If he gets taken to the ground, it's OVER. He'll be grounded and pounded until he's TKO'ed or taps out. 

1 a natural fighter always has a chance in any matchup 2 Floyd would see a spinning backhand a mile away 3 he doesn't have to master only become comfortable he's already a defensive master and stand up all he has to do is grasp the concept of dodging and ducking takedowns leg kicks he will have to worry about aside from the obvious hes a Fish Out of Water but I call him and amphibian if he can handle learning takedown defense. As me and one of my Mayweather hater friends have argued over the last couple weeks why would an MMA fighter go for the quick win and submit him when they have the chance to do with no other boxer has which is knock him out if I were them I would take that chance continue to stand up for the most part if you like kicks here and there but I'd be looking for the fist KO. No UFC fighter will get accolades for choking out or submitting Floyd Mayweather but they will become immortalized if they knock him out in a stand-up match due to the fact that no one has out slugged and connected or knocked out Floyd in a way that anyone in Combat Sports would have to respect. If you out wrestle an Olympic wrestler and you're not up here wrestler you're a bad dude if you out karate a karate expert and that's not your thing you're a bad dude if you out Jitsu a Jiu-Jitsu artist you're a bad dude if you out box a boxer and you're not a boxer you're a bad bad dude I'd rather get that status then go for the simpler route but that's just me

I see him doing it for the fact big money is involved the only way it can hurt his legacy if he gets knocked out by punches aside from that he can lose by Tapout or he can lose by submission and he'll still be held in high regard even more so due to the fact that he made the jump and tried.

I had this discussion with my brother the other day, and he made some interesting points about what Mayweather can do in the UFC. My brother thinks Mayweather will completely change his style to adapt to MMA's style of fighting, and it will be a style that's unheard of. Mayweather can't fight in MMA like he does in Boxing, because Boxing is vulnerable to kicks and takedowns, so if he was really serious about this and knew how to win, his style would be completely different from what we're used to, but with some elements of what makes him Mayweather. And that makes me wanna see him fight in MMA even more, because I do believe Mayweather is a naturally gifted fighter who has insane efficiency and adaptability, so it'd be very very interesting to see how he fights in MMA. I'd pay money to see that tbh.

#7 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

No and no. You got money, you have your company, you have all your 5 senses working well. Enjoy retirement, continue to pick up dimes at Laker games and build your company. The only fight people would be interested is against Conor and that won't end well for the money team. 

#8 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

I see him having a layup fight, making a WWE show of it and then doing business with the UFC. In other words, this is likely another quick bag. I don't see him trying to make a career of it

• AZWildCat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users