• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

Mickey is the next unsatisfied boxer who has left TMT promotions. I honestly forgot about Bey. He said he was shelved because his manager ain't like him. Kinda reminds me when my son was failing his class and he said it's because his teacher ain't like him.
Gervonta Davis has openly criticized TMT and indirectly Floyd. But Gervonta has had great exposure
Ishe Smith said he can't get any fights and is complaining.
Jessie Vargas left on good terms.
Shakur Stevens was damn near a sure thing and ended signing somebody else.
So is it TMT or is it the fighters or both? Some point to Floyd others Ellerbee, at this poing who knows.

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

It is probably a little of both, TMT and the fighters. But who really knows what the problem is? I know one thing, if it was me, I'd be talking face to face with whomever I have a problem with. I'm not going to be content not fighting at least every 6 months, if I'm not a big star. Give me some action every 3-4 months so I can stay busy. People got mouths to feed and bills to be paid. Being put on the shelf for 2 plus years is BS, unless I had some legal issues being worked like Mikey Garcia or Andre Ward. I wouldn't stand for it.

Now as for folks leaving TMT and Mayweather Promotions, I can see potentially why things are happening. It's a relatively new promotion, and you got folks that's been around boxing for a bit, but may not know all the ins and outs of the business. Or maybe they do and just don't give a crap about you. Whenever petty drama and egos get involved, there is going to be issues. A promoter is supposed to do what is in the best interest of the fighter. At least that is what Floyd has been marketing himself as, someone who looks after the fighter. He should know, especially after leaving Top Rank and their shenanigans. Floyd learned from Arum. Maybe, it's the only way they know how to do business. Sad state of affairs.

Blame goes to Bey as well. You can't be turning down title fights. You can negotiate, but don't turn it down. You never know when that next opportunity will come. Sometimes you got to make peace with the situation and handle it like gentlemen. It's still a business. You are an individual contractor. You control your own destiny. Speak up! Don't wait around and be quiet. "A closed mouth will never get fed." "The squeaky wheel gets the oil." Make some DAMN noise if you are unsatisfied with the way your career is being managed.

Probably too late for Bey, but it definitely is a lesson for up and coming boxers. Pay attention to your career. Because if you don't, you never know who has your best interest at heart. Lesson learned, but a little too late.

I will say this, Floyd has put these guys in title shots and on his undercard when he was fighting. It's up to the boxer to capitalize on those opportunities. Ishe Smith has had opportunities, so has Tank Davis, J'Leon Love and Badou Jack. Jack is the only one who seems mature enough to capitalize on his opportunities, even though he got a draw in his last fight. It was there for the taking.

If all else fails, try and buy yourself out of the contract, if you ain't happy. Floyd and Oscar did it.

Edited by KSUN247, 24 June 2018 - 04:09 PM.

• flazi and Dolimite like this

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Didn't Ishe just fight in May and lose? As for Mickey Bey, he said his issue was with the manager appointed to him but wouldn't go in detail so it's hard to know. Tank's situation makes zero sense. He came on the scene around the same time as Devin, Shakur and I think Teofimo. He's BY FAR had the more successful career to date and I'm not sure you can find a legit way to say Floyd wasn't a major catalyst behind that. I'm not saying TMT is or isn't culpable in a lot of fighters frustrations. I know they haven't done great by my girl Latondria. But why is it black fighters are so willing to go at the black promoter but will get fucked by a Bob Arum and not utter a word? I think Floyd needs to take a step back, let these dudes talk themselves up and see if they can create their own buzz. Then they don't have a leg to stand on if they don't become household names. 

End of the day tho, if you have elite potential, just work with Al Haymon. His track record in terms of getting fights and getting good deals is probably the best in the sport. Ishe, Mickey and Badou level fighters benefit from a guy like Floyd. If you're elite, or have the potential to be so, you don't need him. He'll still give you advice regardless (see Haney, Charlo and Spence). 

• flazi, Dolimite and KSUN247 like this

#4 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Didn't Ishe just fight in May and lose? As for Mickey Bey, he said his issue was with the manager appointed to him but wouldn't go in detail so it's hard to know. Tank's situation makes zero sense. He came on the scene around the same time as Devin, Shakur and I think Teofimo. He's BY FAR had the more successful career to date and I'm not sure you can find a legit way to say Floyd wasn't a major catalyst behind that. I'm not saying TMT is or isn't culpable in a lot of fighters frustrations. I know they haven't done great by my girl Latondria. But why is it black fighters are so willing to go at the black promoter but will get fucked by a Bob Arum and not utter a word? I think Floyd needs to take a step back, let these dudes talk themselves up and see if they can create their own buzz. Then they don't have a leg to stand on if they don't become household names. 

End of the day tho, if you have elite potential, just work with Al Haymon. His track record in terms of getting fights and getting good deals is probably the best in the sport. Ishe, Mickey and Badou level fighters benefit from a guy like Floyd. If you're elite, or have the potential to be so, you don't need him. He'll still give you advice regardless (see Haney, Charlo and Spence).

That's the thing, Floyd flat out talks all those fighters up who aren't even signed to him. He is close with Al so it isn't like it would be a problem for them to fight each other. Tank Davis situation is still damn confusing. Ishe did fight this Year, he isn't good.
Shakur should be front and center with his personality and look, no homo, but seriously. I mean I don't know wtf is going on, all I can say is I hope they all prosper. But like Clint Eastwood said "a man has to know his limitations" some cats are going far beyond their limits.

#5 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

Bey been a tmt fighter most of his career. He either messed it up himself turning down fights or tmt is not delivering as a business promotion. Tabiti gets fights tank gets fights hell Newman gets fights but a former title contender is on the shelf because.....his manager...the guy he pays to manage his career has someone who has a problem with him?

Sounds like alot more is going untold

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

All. His. Fault. 

He tested positive for testosterone, got knocked out in the 11th hour by Molina a few months later.....won a SD dud against Vasquez a year later and became champion. If I remember correctly, he was nursing an injury and turned down a couple of fights and that was all she wrote. Smh

I went back and read his interview with Percy from a couple years back...I understand his stance, but I don't. Mickey effed up in a couple of places, mainly allowing Floyd's cousin to serve as his manager from jump. 

I don't wanna get too deep, but last time I checked, if a manager and promoter are in cahoots, then that's a clear violation of the Muhammad Ali Act. I'm not 100% saying they violated anything, but Bey should know better than to sign with a promoter AND manager whom are cousins.

He said that Blake (Floyd's cousin) was "very green" regarding management, so he opted to bring in a manager to help him....which obviously offended Blake. I get it, but I don't. Blake wanted to "learn on his own", but Bey didn't want to be on the receiving end of Blake's trial and error. I get that. 

Now.....riddle me this...Floyd did buy Bey out of his contract with Arum, correct? What was going on there? Why did he need to be bought out of it? Then he comes over to Mayweather Promotions and signs a deal, allowing the cousin of his promoter to manage him!? I've seen Blake around for YEARS, so maybe he knows a thing or two....maybe not so much, who knows. 

So yeah, this guy put himself in a pickle to begin with. The whole turning down 200k has to have some type of truth to it. Hell, I can't even see a guy of Bey's caliber pulling in huge paydays...he's definitely one of those guys who fights first or second on a PPV while everybody's still chugging beers and scarfing down wings. He claims the 200k wasn't that amount and they (Mayweather Promotions) opted not to go to a purse bid, so TR won the bid 78k, which is peanuts to split between and an opponent...then he went on to accept 20 or 25k a few months later to fight in another country. Dude has no business sense whatsoever. 

• Franchize likes this

#7 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

All. His. Fault. 

He tested positive for testosterone, got knocked out in the 11th hour by Molina a few months later.....won a SD dud against Vasquez a year later and became champion. If I remember correctly, he was nursing an injury and turned down a couple of fights and that was all she wrote. Smh

I went back and read his interview with Percy from a couple years back...I understand his stance, but I don't. Mickey effed up in a couple of places, mainly allowing Floyd's cousin to serve as his manager from jump. 

I don't wanna get too deep, but last time I checked, if a manager and promoter are in cahoots, then that's a clear violation of the Muhammad Ali Act. I'm not 100% saying they violated anything, but Bey should know better than to sign with a promoter AND manager whom are cousins.

He said that Blake (Floyd's cousin) was "very green" regarding management, so he opted to bring in a manager to help him....which obviously offended Blake. I get it, but I don't. Blake wanted to "learn on his own", but Bey didn't want to be on the receiving end of Blake's trial and error. I get that. 

Now.....riddle me this...Floyd did buy Bey out of his contract with Arum, correct? What was going on there? Why did he need to be bought out of it? Then he comes over to Mayweather Promotions and signs a deal, allowing the cousin of his promoter to manage him!? I've seen Blake around for YEARS, so maybe he knows a thing or two....maybe not so much, who knows. 

So yeah, this guy put himself in a pickle to begin with. The whole turning down 200k has to have some type of truth to it. Hell, I can't even see a guy of Bey's caliber pulling in huge paydays...he's definitely one of those guys who fights first or second on a PPV while everybody's still chugging beers and scarfing down wings. He claims the 200k wasn't that amount and they (Mayweather Promotions) opted not to go to a purse bid, so TR won the bid 78k, which is peanuts to split between and an opponent...then he went on to accept 20 or 25k a few months later to fight in another country. Dude has no business sense whatsoever.

THREAD

#8 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

THREAD

:lol:

I just hate when guys "try not to speak on things", but they're still speaking on it....leaving us with sketchy info and hoping somebody feels sorry for them. I don't.

These guys sign contracts and surely their attorney's present during the signing. For a guy to have to get bought out of a contract, you'd think he'd have enough sense and assertiveness to NOT leave a stone turned over. 

He played himself, being too trusting. Moreover, this timelines of "speaking up", alarms me a bit. If you're a fighter who doesn't rack up huge paydays, then why wait months at a time to voice your concerns?

I mean, from his words, he's accustomed to making 5 and low 6-figure paydays.....so, again I ask....why wait so long to speak up? Moreover, why was he banking on running to Floyd to voice his concerns when Floyd has a team that handles that?

We've seen managers screw fighters over, it's a tale as old as time. However, Bey seems to have had personal connections with folks whom he's leaving his business matters in their hands, not good. 

Floyd can promise his fighters whatever he spews to the public, but sometimes "business" doesn't allow those promises to be fulfilled. Bey's probably counting Floyd's pockets and thinking he could just "write him a check" if something goes left with a business decision. Again, business doesn't go that way and nobody owes Bey a thing. 

Being a cynical businessman may pose as an issue for those handling your business, but it keeps you sane when it's all said and done. 

• flazi likes this

#9 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

:lol:

I just hate when guys "try not to speak on things", but they're still speaking on it....leaving us with sketchy info and hoping somebody feels sorry for them. I don't.

These guys sign contracts and surely their attorney's present during the signing. For a guy to have to get bought out of a contract, you'd think he'd have enough sense and assertiveness to NOT leave a stone turned over. 

He played himself, being too trusting. Moreover, this timelines of "speaking up", alarms me a bit. If you're a fighter who doesn't rack up huge paydays, then why wait months at a time to voice your concerns?

I mean, from his words, he's accustomed to making 5 and low 6-figure paydays.....so, again I ask....why wait so long to speak up? Moreover, why was he banking on running to Floyd to voice his concerns when Floyd has a team that handles that?

We've seen managers screw fighters over, it's a tale as old as time. However, Bey seems to have had personal connections with folks whom he's leaving his business matters in their hands, not good. 

Floyd can promise his fighters whatever he spews to the public, but sometimes "business" doesn't allow those promises to be fulfilled. Bey's probably counting Floyd's pockets and thinking he could just "write him a check" if something goes left with a business decision. Again, business doesn't go that way and nobody owes Bey a thing. 

Being a cynical businessman may pose as an issue for those handling your business, but it keeps you sane when it's all said and done.

He turned down fights! I honestly think Floyd's success is the downfall of his company. Some of his fighters think they should be getting 20 million dollar purses. Demetrius Andrea just left his promotional company. I wonder how that will play out for his career?
Bey isn't a top fighter, not even mid level. He can maybe be on FOX Sports as an undercard.

#10 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

I wonder if there is another issue at play here. I really hate to say it, but some guys are just dumb jocks.  All they know how to do is fight.  At a young age, guys fantasize about getting out of the hood or their current lifestyle due to their athletic abilities, but at the same time watching other guys pockets. So they take up a sport, become good and try to be hood rich. This happens in all walks of life, not just pro sports. 

You touched on Floyd's success, but that success came at a price. Floyd's success isn't gonna be matched for a while, if ever. Some of these new dudes think they are already entitled being associated with TMT, Floyd and Al Haymon. Guys want his lifestyle, but it costs. How many are willing to pay the price to reach that level of success? What they don't see or truly understand is that Floyd worked from the bottom to get to where he is. Floyd was all about Floyd and learning all he could about the business and having Al Haymon by his side didn't hurt. Some of these guys got access to Haymon, but aren't putting in that work. By work, I don't just mean boxing skills. I mean learning the business, taking care of your finances, seeing who you can trust and being hands-on involved in your career. Some guys just box and leave the other stuff to others. That's a big issue to me. I need to see and know just about everything that goes on with me. 

Bey's situation is messed up and he got caught up in a bad way. He trusted some people, turned down some opportunites and kinda got blackballed. He wasn't really anything special, but will now be just another journeyman and a name on up-and-coming fighter's resumes. 

• flazi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users