15 replies to this topic

#1 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

http://www.espn.com/...owId=1-24594828

Welterweight world titlist Terence Crawford (33-0, 24 KOs), 30, of Omaha, Nebraska, has signed a multi-year contract extension with Top Rank. Terms were not disclosed, but Crawford’s previous deal had not yet expired. However, both sides wanted to get a new deal done ahead of what will be Crawford’s first defense on Oct. 13 (ESPN) in his hometown. 

*** More at link

So Bud re-ups with TR!!! I'm sure it is a pretty sweet deal with them, especially with all that new ESPN money. Bud says he wants all the belts, but if history is any indicator, making the TOP fights with PBC and other promotions won't be easy. 

Will Bud go the way of Timothy Bradley and not get the pub he needs. He only got the Manny fight (3 times), but he could have got into the Floyd Sweepstakes, if he would have been a free agent or signed with someone else. Tim got paid, but he sacrificed a lot to please folks in the Provodnikov fight. He was getting threats after the 1st Pacquiao fight. Regardless of what he said publically, I'm sure he had a rough time of it being hated for the Manny win.

Will Bud get the Mikey Garcia treatment? I sure hope he looks at his paperwork and not just smile cause of the big money being thown his way. Those big checks can blind a brother and stop him from seeing the stuff he really needs to see. Hope he has a strong and smart team working for him.

Will Bud get the Manny Pacquiao treatment? Get robbed blind by TR until it's too late. 

I hope Bud and TR can get some good dialogue going with PBC and other promoters so we can see the best matchups at 147 lbs. Top Rank's cabinet is bare and all of the good smoke is under the PBC banner. 

• flazi likes this

#2 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Honestly......

I didn't see this going any other way. You know how Bob does it, he'll give you the fight you're asking for...but an extension comes with it.

Being that TC is fighting in October, it can't be anybody that big, being that it's only a few weeks away. I could be wrong though. 

If the deal works for him, then I can't say much. It gets tricky when a bigger fight's presented and he feels he should be paid more than what's offered. Isn't that where we usually see TR fighters rock the boat? Donaire? Chavez Jr.? Mikey? Manny? Cotto?

I look at it two ways...Crawford is becoming a star, but how big of a star will he be in the near future? He's not as marketable as let's say a Chavez Jr., or Mikey, or Pacquiao....so he may not face much resistance if he decides he wants out. 

Bob let the likes of Rigondeaux walk away with little resistance, so Terence's fate may be similar. I won't even bring up the idea of any big name fights happening anytime soon, but again, I could be wrong. 

It seems as though Tom is the buffer between Bob and anybody else that he hates the idea of sharing receipts with, so TC may be okay with landing a couple of big fights. 

Remember how sour he was when he had very little to do with Mayweather/Pacquiao. I mean, at least it seemed as though he had little to do with it. It's almost like they had to pry Manny away from him make him sit his ass down somewhere and let the fight happen. 

I would go even further and say Bob's wife had something to do with him releasing his grip on Manny to make the Mayweather fight happen. Remember the Michael Jackson movie when Katherine had to tell Joe Jackson to take his ass to bed because he had a fit about a towel being in the swimming pool? Yeah....I'm sure Bob's wife pulled one of those numbers. I'm just spitballing here, bear with me. 

I think TC will be fine...I'm crossing my fingers here, of course. 

• Franchize likes this

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Also....maybe....just maybe a Pacquiao fight is in the cards for Bud. If he beats Manny, he has the juice. I'm sure that'll be his highest payday, while other fighters are trying to land that type of shot to boost their careers. 

If this is the case, then good for Bud. Between all of the PBC welterweights, I'm not sure any of them made over $2M against each other, so Terence can raise the bar by fighting Manny and getting a career high payday. Most of Manny's opponents cap off at $5M...I've seen some make around $3M...that'll put Bud in the driver's seat if he beats him. 

Moreover, beating Manny be a gift and a curse for Bud. If he makes that $5M, then what's gonna be the split if a PBC fighter is presented. Most of the PBC welterweights are making around $1.5M for big fights, and of course they're gonna want more money to fight Bud...so the money issues may start there. 

If he lands the Manny fight and wins convincingly, then he holds the cards. I'm not sure any of the PBC fighters could land a Manny fight. I think he'll be okay though. If he never fights a PBC fighter, he'll be fine with a Manny win. 

#4 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

F the Deal get in the ring with a skilled 147 pounder who can punch. 

• KSUN247 likes this

#5 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

F the Deal get in the ring with a skilled 147 pounder who can punch. 

I literally laughed out loud at this! I think Benavidez will be a good test for Bud. As much as I like Bud, he was getting touched up by Gamboa. Not saying Benavidez is on Gamboa's skill level, but I think it should be a good matchup. This way we can see where Bud really is at in the 147 lbs weight class. Top Rank doesn't have any other decent fighters in his weight class. Manny is a promotional free agent, right?

• MAHDI likes this

#6 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

I literally laughed out loud at this! I think Benavidez will be a good test for Bud. As much as I like Bud, he was getting touched up by Gamboa. Not saying Benavidez is on Gamboa's skill level, but I think it should be a good matchup. This way we can see where Bud really is at in the 147 lbs weight class. Top Rank doesn't have any other decent fighters in his weight class. Manny is a promotional free agent, right?

I mean, Crawford, his fans, his trainer talk like he is all time great. All this talk of Spence being an easy fight and no talk of fighting anyone of note. I agree the Benavidez would be a good chin tester. I do not like how Crawford finished the V Postal bout he seemed to be running from the guy late in that bout and really did not look that impressive

• KSUN247 likes this

#7 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

I mean, Crawford, his fans, his trainer talk like he is all time great. All this talk of Spence being an easy fight and no talk of fighting anyone of note. I agree the Benavidez would be a good chin tester. I do not like how Crawford finished the V Postal bout he seemed to be running from the guy late in that bout and really did not look that impressive

TRUE!!! I think he got on his bike because he thought he already won and didn't want to risk anything else. Haven't heard much noise from Postol since that fight. After the Postol fight, Bud did look good in his other fights, but he was favored to win all of those. They weren't any real challenge to him. Defeat Benavidez and then cross the street to get at the PBC fighters. I don't care if it's Devon Alexander, Andre Berto or Ortiz. At least cross the street. Eventually, you'll get up to Porter, Garcia, Thurman and Spence.

• MAHDI likes this

#8 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:38 AM

Welp... :resent:

Biggest fight I see being made is vs Manny. Other than that, I can't see him fighting anyone I'd care about any time soon. Only way I see him coming to the opposite side to make a fight is maybe against a guy like Broner. Broner and Bob apparently speak from time to time. As far as Keith, Danny, Shawn or even Mikey...can't see it

• MAHDI likes this

#9 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

Welp... :resent:

Biggest fight I see being made is vs Manny. Other than that, I can't see him fighting anyone I'd care about any time soon. Only way I see him coming to the opposite side to make a fight is maybe against a guy like Broner. Broner and Bob apparently speak from time to time. As far as Keith, Danny, Shawn or even Mikey...can't see it

Country boy Spence the Truth is correct about Terrence "Fraudford" and Arum.. his resume is SMOKE and MIRRORS...

#10 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:15 AM

Re-ups with TR. Now he can talk all the shit he wants to PBC fighters because he knows he wont ever have to fight them. He'll wait Spence out until Spence goes to 154. Not sure if Thurman ever comes back. Porter gets floored by Spence. Danny fights Mikey Garcia, loses and retires. Mikey will never fight Crawford because he remembers the amateurs where Crawford used his feet alot. So Crawford comes out of his little TR hole when the coast is clear, in 2 years,  and fights 37 year old Amir Khan and then Yordanis Ugas for the vacant WW title and wins.

Edited by The Original MrFactor, 10 September 2018 - 12:17 AM.

• MAHDI and KSUN247 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users