Photo

Current Shift In Boxing: Is It Good or Bad for Potential Matchups?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,243 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

Just a thought here, but with the departure of HBO (after this year), the rise ESPN/ESPN+, DAZN, Al Haymon takeover, Golden Boy, etc....does that make matters better or worse?

Those of us true boxing fans want what's best for the said fighters when it's all said and done (e.g. paydays), but we also want the best fights. Now....with all of these deals taking place, will things become more complicated than before?

I mean, for f*ck's sake, we're in a war as to whether or not we're actually gonna be watching boxing on cable/network television or a frickin' app. I just don't get it. 

Fighters have locked in deals and now we're hearing Hearn say things like, "You have to sign with DAZN to fight (insert fighter's name)" and so on. 

Where does that leave us? 

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

I think it makes things better. Competition should make everyone try to put out their best product. HBO failed because they got cheap and didn't want to change with the times. 

As hardcore fans, we'll find a way to watch the fights. We will complain about it, but we will still watch. The key is to get the casual fans to get interested in the sport. Lowering the cost and increasing the accessibility can do that. 

The streaming platforms aren't a bad way to go, especially IF the quality is good. ESPN+ is $5.99/month ($60/year) and DAZN is $9.99 ($120/year). PBC is mostly on free tv, except when they have fights on Showtime. I don't know everyone's financial situation, but you can't really complain about these prices. Sure as HELL beats paying $65+ for PPVs. The PPV model is basically on life support unless it's a big time fight. And since those aren't happening every few months, my wallet can live with that. Plus, it's not only boxing on these apps. It's a variety of sports. 

I'm all for the fighters getting their money. Get what you can, while you can, because this is a brutal sport. Boxing doesn't take care of its fighters like some of the other professional sports leagues. Just look at Prichard Colon. He damn near died in his locker room, post fight due to the ineptitude of the ref letting him get constantly hit in the back of the head. His current situation is improving, but it's SAD and he has a long way to recovery, if he ever fully recovers. 

As for good matchups, there will still be some hiccups. Who is the "A" side? What platform/network will the fight be broadcast on? Are promoters willing to risk their cash cow against "the guy across the street"? If the demand is there, the promoters/networks will find a way to make it happen. More than likely it will be PPV, unless cooler heads prevail and some network gets their pockets greased.  I think Spence and Crawford will happen next year. Both guys want it and the public is demanding it. The Social Media build up is happening.  Promoters are supposed to work for the fighters, but not all fighters got the balls to make demands of their promoter. 

Bottom line, boxing is a business. The premiere matchups will eventually happen, especially if they can make money. If the public demand keeps getting louder and louder, the promoters will answer and do what is best for their pockets. However, some of the smaller name matchups may not happen as quick as we want or at all, unless a serious concession is made by the "B" side. 

• Cshel86 likes this

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Great post! I almost forgot about my own thread, smfh.

Listen....Eddie Hearn is gassing up a lot of these, "You wouldn't have been thought about, had it not been for Hearn" fighters. The Jarrell MIllers of the world. Andrade. C'mon now!

These guys have been talking cash shit and know DAMN WELL they aren't trying to fight these guys that they continue to call out. This is gonna be interesting. 

#4 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

Lots of trash talk in combat sports. But Miller is talking like he defeated an all-time great in Adamek. He's old as dirt and hasn't been in a meaningful fight in forever. As a matter of fact, I can't remember his last decent fight. As for Miller, he reminds me of that old James Brown song "Talking Loud and Saying Nothing." Miller is all talk for now. Kind of a circus freak show. Really big guy with some skills and a big mouth. Miller hasn't been challenged yet and Hearn isn't gonna let Miller near AJ anytime soon. He'll keep trotting out Dillian Whyte/Derek Chisora types or worse on DAZN to face AJ.

And AJ is decent, but he's still high off of the Vlad Klitschko KO. Vlad had one foot in retirement and was a shell of himself when he fought AJ. AJ gets minor props for beating Vlad, but he was supposed to do that. Not supposed to let an OLD man thinking about retirement beat you. Especially, one whose skills had dimished and looked like crap against Fury. AJ hasn't even looked decent fighting pedestrian guys in Takam and Parker. AJ was getting touched up by Povetkin until he caught him. Public wants to see AJ/Wilder. Nothing else really matters, unless Fury pulls the upset. 

Even though DAZN has the two cash cows in Canelo and AJ, Hearn and Golden Boy are gonna make guys take the real small piece of the pie. Nobody is getting close to 50/50. I doubt even a 60/40 split happens. I do think some money chasing guys will go to DAZN for opportunities against Canelo and AJ, but there will be some avoidance of some top names (Charlo and Wilder seem to be on the outside looking in).

Matchups I'd like to see on DAZN:

Andrade vs Jacobs unification, winner gets Canelo on Cinco De Mayo 2019

Farmer vs Tank Davis (if Floyd stops being petty and lets Davis out of his contract)

Amanda Serrano vs Katie Taylor (plans already in motion for this: Serrano just signed)

Clarissa Shields vs Christina Hammer

#5 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

I think it's worse. We now have an extra side in the Civil War. Arum will only have his fighters fight Top PRank fighters. I think Hearn will do the same. Hearn is quietly creating a monopoly of the MW division, which could arguably be the best division in the sport now. Hopefully he isn't going to keep all of his guys away from each other as well. This would be the PERFECT time for a tournament. Scratch that. MULTIPLE tournaments. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users