94 replies to this topic

#91 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

I think its safe to say that Thurman's power is a thing of the past. Or at the very least is a thing that worked on lower tier fighters. Lopez was supposed to be that. Thurman is a smallish WW, in a land of giants like Spence. This is why he'll fight guys like Pacquiao and Porter who are both short in stature with short arms.

Thurman is a fundamentally sound fighter who has great footwork and is defensively responsible. He just has short arms and is short in stature. Thats going to be a problem going forward against the Errol Spence's of the world.

Josesito Lopez has the same length arms, so he was able to touch Keith. Keith was winning comfortably until the 7th round. He almost got clipped. Credit to him that he was able to stay awake and finish. Lopez gets KO'd by the top 5 at WW. Thurman's ring rust may be to blame for the 7th round debacle, but again, he finished and he won.

Thurman better hope Pacquiao accepts his challenge. Thats a good fight for him. He also better hope that Mikey Garcia beats Spence. Mikey vs Thurman would also be a good fight for Thurman. Thurman dont want a Porter rematch. He'd probably take it, but Porter has improved and probably doesnt have any fear or reservations about Thurmans makew believe power anymore. Thurman dont want Spence. Crawford's Top Rank ass aint even in the convo.

• MAHDI likes this

#92 MAHDI

MAHDI

Lightweight

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I have no doubt Spence can end it in one round. I'm judt going but history of great fighters stepping up and watching Mikey he's good but I'm just giving him his fair shake to be great. No more no less.

I do not see a 1st rounder but I see what you are saying No doubt. Respect that. Garcia is good but there are levels and I see Spence a level above and a physical specimen at 147 We will see

Edited by MAHDI, 28 January 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#93 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Just looking at the fight again, Keith and his team did a not-so-great job of selecting an opponent. Lopez is a guy that you fight after let's say....an 8-month layoff, not somebody that's been off for nearly two years. 

Keith looked vulnerable because he couldn't seem to break Lopez or visibly hurt him. After 6 rounds, you can just see Keith moving, thinking, moving, thinking and trying to pick his shots. My thing is, with all that he put in from round 1-6, should've been enough to stop a guy a tier lower than Lopez. 

No way in hell he should've been in there against Lopez after 2 years and finding himself stuck and wondering what to do because the other guy won't go anywhere. Thing is (as I mentioned in my prediction), Lopez has been more active than Keith and it showed on Saturday night. 

Not only was Lopez the fresher guy, he looked to be in great shape...something he seems to have struggled with on his way back to contention. Berto stopped Lopez mainly because was just out of shape, shop worn and active when he should've been resting. This guy had a tough schedule and fought one name after another, instead of taking some time off to recuperate. 

He got knocked out by Maidana but he had already been in a war with Ortiz and got battered against Canelo....just to come back, what....9 months later and face a more polished Maidana who himself was talking retirement before he got with Robert Garcia. 

Again, Keith did well early on and eeked out the last couple of rounds...but he shouldn't have been matched so tough after that long of a layoff. If you think Keith was ducking before, get ready....he's got a target on his back and his mojo isn't fully back yet. I see him taking an easy fight, something he should have taken before the Lopez fight, apparently. 

• AZWildCat and MAHDI like this

#94 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

The only thing this fight showed me is that Keith isn't elite. He's right there with all the other top WW, and I'm fine with that. As many of you know, I've been annoyed by Keith for some years, but I don't like the rhetoric coming from this fight. First of all, this wasn't just rust. He had a tough fight against Lopez a.) Because Lopez is tough and didn't come to lay down. b.) Because he's struggled against lesser opposition in the past. c.) Because he is extremely talented but not a class above everyone else. Secondly, I will defend him a bit. Saying all these other boxers will mow through him now because he had a tough fight against a game opponent is stuff I expect to hear from casuals. Styles make fights. We all should know this. Keith has an achilles heel. Tough, come forward fighters who throw to the body. Are all top tier WW like that? No. Porter struggles against boxers with solid jabs, who create range and distance. Are all top WW like that? No. Throw a 40 year old Pacquiao in there with Keith with a comeback fight under his belt if you want to. If Pacman gets slept, I don't wanna hear shit. 

All that said, Keith is a lame for calling out Manny now. Manny is 40 and Keith's claim to original fame was calling out Floyd and all other WW with a name. Remember "don't thuck me thun." Now you're picking on old legends on their way out? When you have a lion in his prime with just as much name recognition AND a belt ready, willing and able to lace it up with you. No promotional blockades. No network cold wars. Keith thinks he's cemented himself as an elite fighter. No. He's cemented himself as part of the problem with boxing.  

• Cshel86 likes this

#95 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

The only thing this fight showed me is that Keith isn't elite. He's right there with all the other top WW, and I'm fine with that. As many of you know, I've been annoyed by Keith for some years, but I don't like the rhetoric coming from this fight. First of all, this wasn't just rust. He had a tough fight against Lopez a.) Because Lopez is tough and didn't come to lay down. b.) Because he's struggled against lesser opposition in the past. c.) Because he is extremely talented but not a class above everyone else. Secondly, I will defend him a bit. Saying all these other boxers will mow through him now because he had a tough fight against a game opponent is stuff I expect to hear from casuals. Styles make fights. We all should know this. Keith has an achilles heel. Tough, come forward fighters who throw to the body. Are all top tier WW like that? No. Porter struggles against boxers with solid jabs, who create range and distance. Are all top WW like that? No. Throw a 40 year old Pacquiao in there with Keith with a comeback fight under his belt if you want to. If Pacman gets slept, I don't wanna hear shit. 

All that said, Keith is a lame for calling out Manny now. Manny is 40 and Keith's claim to original fame was calling out Floyd and all other WW with a name. Remember "don't thuck me thun." Now you're picking on old legends on their way out? When you have a lion in his prime with just as much name recognition AND a belt ready, willing and able to lace it up with you. No promotional blockades. No network cold wars. Keith thinks he's cemented himself as an elite fighter. No. He's cemented himself as part of the problem with boxing.  

Damn.....well put!

The only thing I somewhat disagree with is him catching flack for calling out old fighters. Thing is, this is nothing new to Keith. As you mentioned, the whole "Don't thuck me thun" (:lol:) thing was directed at Paulie whom at that time was considered one of the not-so-strong champions at WW. 

I don't have a problem with him calling out old legends at this point. Why? Every fighter needs at least 1 (but no more than 3) old legends on their resume. Thing is, we have to blame Broner for that bullshit performance against Manny. 

We all know what Broner's capable of and he himself was one of the not-so-strong WW champs for his short run back in 2013. Pac hurting him and beating him to the punch in most cases, put the younger generation THAT much further behind. These guys are young and strong...none of them should be struggling against legends after the first 4-5 rounds....but Broner did.

Had he taken care of business against Manny, Keith wouldn't even be talking about it right now. Nobody would be calling out Manny like that, but he's ripe for the picking and a win against him would put one WW above the rest. As you mentioned, Keith is extremely talented, but not elite....nothing separates him from the current WWs at this moment. Somebody needs to grab the division by the horns and run it, dammit! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users