• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Abner Mares got injured. I'm pissed. I was looking forward to this fight smh. I wonder who the replacement will be 

#2 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

Man I'm so over Mares! He wouldn't even disclose the injury, so I'm starting to think HE wasn't ready for the fight....but he campaigned for it for nearly a year now. Smh

Mares's replacement may give Tank some trouble. He just fought 3 weeks ago and from what Sampson said, he got back in the gym the following day. He's 39-4 and has been knocked out in 3 of those 4 losses. 

We'll see though....but I'm tired of Mares at this point. He was probably gonna get sparked anyway, but I was still looking forward to the fight. Lol

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

According to Rovert, it was an elbow injury suffered in sparring. I don't know. He didn't seem like the type to quit but I don't know. I wont pretend to be an avid Mares fan. I just know he makes for an exciting fight.

What is your displeasure with him? Just curious
  • Cshel86 likes this

#4 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Mares hasnt pulled any stunts yet so I'll let it pass as a real injury, I would have pushed for tj dillashaw to come over for an exhibition bout. Just a stay busy. Hugo is cool for the moment

#5 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

According to Rovert, it was an elbow injury suffered in sparring. I don't know. He didn't seem like the type to quit but I don't know. I wont pretend to be an avid Mares fan. I just know he makes for an exciting fight.

What is your displeasure with him? Just curious

Not necessarily displeasure, but more so the fans knowing he's pretty much done at the top level. Again, he's still a great fighter, but since the Gonzalez loss years back, to me, he hasn't been as sharp as he once was. 

It's just hard to watch him reaching, lunging, and missing against Santa Cruz (twice), which to him at this point of his career, is top level opposition. At one point, Mares was the guy to beat, but dammit, he had a TOUGH schedule over the years and he gets full credit for it.

I still like him, but it seems as though the inevitable is right around the corner....another KO loss. He seems to just campaign for one big fight after another and comes up short. Had he pulled a Broner by now (get into high profile fights and stink up the joint), then I would've been done with him a long time ago. 

#6 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:11 PM

Did he get the .2 off or did he lose his belt

#7 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

He made weight. 

#8 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

As for Mares, he suffered a detached retina in his eye. That's definitely not something to mess with. He may want to call it a career. No need to keep getting punched in the face with that type of damage already. I'm sure his pockets are straight and he got a decent future as an analyst with PBC.

Hope Ruiz makes it a good fight. The short notice is gonna be tough on him, seeing as he just fought 2 weeks ago. He should still be in good shape to fight, but with Tank struggling with the weight cut, who knows how bad that will affect him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users