Photo

What Fighter Did You Give a Pass For Quitting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

Don't laugh at me, but this is a serious question! I'm asking because some guys just need to hang it up in certain fights and watching Erik Morales shake his head "no" in the Pacquiao rubber match was memorable!

If anybody remembers, he STRUGGLED to make 130 for that fight was gonna get fined heavily, had he not made the weight. He had just lost to Raheem a few months prior and he was just tired by the time the 3rd fight came around. 

Dude was DOA that night and everybody knew it, though he still fought back for those grueling 3 rounds. 

I know it's a cardinal sin to quit in this sport, but who do you give a pass for quitting? 

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

Trying to remember all the guys who actually quit. I'm sure there are plenty, but my memory ain't as good as it used to be. LOL! 

Gotta go with Cotto vs Margarito: Cotto knew something was up. He was boxing Margarito's ears off and touching him up. Then all halfway thru the fight, Margarito starts killing him. Cotto's face told the tale. When he took the knee, he was like WTF!!! Then later come to find out Margarito was cheating and who knows how long he and his team had been doing that to their wraps. F' Margarito!!! :madfvck:  :madfvck:  :madfvck:

Honorable Mention:  De La Hoya vs Pacquiao. Oscar was weight drained and past his prime. Manny was lumping him up. Too fast, crazy angles and Oscar wanted no more of that, so he quit on his stool. Oscar should have never accepted that fight, but it helped cement Manny as a SUPERSTAR.  So that, I guess, is a good quit. 

As much as I love Rigo, he was getting embarrassed by Loma. He called out Loma and was talking mad trash on social media. Come fight night, he was a no-show, then blamed it on a BS hand issue or something like that. I know the 2 weight class jump was difficult, but DAMN man. He gets no pass from me.

Same with Nicholas "Axe-man" Walters. Loma embarrassed him and he quit on his stool. Don't think Walters has fought since. He also doesn't get a pass from me.

My favorite funny moment back in the day was Oliver McCall crying in the ring in the Lennox Lewis rematch. That was just crazy!!! But knowing what we know today about mental health, it's not so funny. 

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Trying to remember all the guys who actually quit. I'm sure there are plenty, but my memory ain't as good as it used to be. LOL! 

Gotta go with Cotto vs Margarito: Cotto knew something was up. He was boxing Margarito's ears off and touching him up. Then all halfway thru the fight, Margarito starts killing him. Cotto's face told the tale. When he took the knee, he was like WTF!!! Then later come to find out Margarito was cheating and who knows how long he and his team had been doing that to their wraps. F' Margarito!!! :madfvck:  :madfvck:  :madfvck:

Honorable Mention:  De La Hoya vs Pacquiao. Oscar was weight drained and past his prime. Manny was lumping him up. Too fast, crazy angles and Oscar wanted no more of that, so he quit on his stool. Oscar should have never accepted that fight, but it helped cement Manny as a SUPERSTAR.  So that, I guess, is a good quit. 

As much as I love Rigo, he was getting embarrassed by Loma. He called out Loma and was talking mad trash on social media. Come fight night, he was a no-show, then blamed it on a BS hand issue or something like that. I know the 2 weight class jump was difficult, but DAMN man. He gets no pass from me.

Same with Nicholas "Axe-man" Walters. Loma embarrassed him and he quit on his stool. Don't think Walters has fought since. He also doesn't get a pass from me.

My favorite funny moment back in the day was Oliver McCall crying in the ring in the Lennox Lewis rematch. That was just crazy!!! But knowing what we know today about mental health, it's not so funny. 

Man.....man oh man...when I say I felt SORRY for Cotto that night. I, for one, thought Cotto won the first half of the fight, but the more I watch it, the writing was on the wall after round 2. Miguel was getting touched UP in round and nothing changed in the rematch aside from Tony's punching power being non-existent. 

When I say the living room at my crib was quiet! Sad scene, man....sad scene to say the least. I wanted to quit for Cotto that night because you could tell the fight went on a lot longer than it should've, and that showed in the Pacquiao fight as well. 

And your "no pass" list is hilarious! None of those guys should've even shown up to the ring that night, seriously!

• KSUN247 likes this

#4 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

Oliver McCall. He was in a bad spot and Mike Tyson when he bite Evander's ear off. That was his way of quitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users