• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

Why don't more boxers wear bigger gloves, not in weight but in size? Like in Mayweather vs Judah, both wore 8 ounce gloves, but Mayweather's gloves were larger in size. Technically, wouldn't larger gloves make it easier to block punches, so why not more boxers go for bigger gloves?

Edited by sduck, 15 April 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#2 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

Why don't more boxers wear bigger gloves, not in weight but in size? Like in Mayweather vs Judah, both wore 8 ounce gloves, but Mayweather's gloves were larger in size. Technically, wouldn't larger gloves make it easier to block punches, so why not more boxers go for bigger gloves?

His gloves probably looked bigger because they were white, most white gloves naturally look bigger. I get what you're saying though, because it seems like Everlast gloves naturally look bigger than Reyes, Winning, and Grant. 

PS: I absolutely despise those Rival gloves, lol. And those skirts that a lot of fighters have been wearing, get 'em outta here!!!

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

His gloves probably looked bigger because they were white, most white gloves naturally look bigger. I get what you're saying though, because it seems like Everlast gloves naturally look bigger than Reyes, Winning, and Grant. 

PS: I absolutely despise those Rival gloves, lol. And those skirts that a lot of fighters have been wearing, get 'em outta here!!!

Also matters what the gloves are made if. The horse hair gloves look small compared to the padded ones. Winning gloves are also huge. I think some fighters who are aggressive, come forward fighters are willing to sacrifice the added defense for what they perceive to be added power

#4 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

Also matters what the gloves are made if. The horse hair gloves look small compared to the padded ones. Winning gloves are also huge. I think some fighters who are aggressive, come forward fighters are willing to sacrifice the added defense for what they perceive to be added power

Those horse hair gloves will put a dude out, QUICKLY! Lol. Winning gloves are soft but huge, as you mentioned and are great for guys with brittle hands. You'd think that a guy with brittle hands would pick the harder gloves to push the issue and try to finish the fight early, but I'm sure it takes a toll on their hands. 

I remember the white Everlast gloves that Ward wore in the Dawson fight....those things looked HUGE! I've never been a fan of black gloves....they look extremely small, regardless of the brand or material. 

#5 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Question for anybody that can help....when fighters pick their gloves at the weigh-in, do they have to be brand new? From what I understand. regulation gloves (the ones they use in fights) aren't typically worn in the gym, but I may be wrong here. 

#6 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Question for anybody that can help....when fighters pick their gloves at the weigh-in, do they have to be brand new? From what I understand. regulation gloves (the ones they use in fights aren't typically worn in the gym, but I may be wrong here.

I could be wrong, and I'm not sure about "new" but I think at the very least they have to be inspected and sealed before hand. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users