• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,486 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

We've been down this road before, but it was a good 5 years ago after the Lara fight. Being that he's done more since then and still seems to be challenging himself, has he reach "elite" status? Close? Nowhere near it? 

Thoughts?

#2 MAHDI

MAHDI

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Definitely... without question. If he were to beat Kovalev he would be in the realm of all time greats. Guys like Jacobs, Andrade, Charlo... smoke and mirrors.. bullshit hype. Canelo took his schooling from Floyd and in my view has to be considered P4p#1-. No way Crawford is #1 over Canelo and I  do not give a damned about him beating up small guys at 135 and 140. His trainer admitted he could have started out a welter. Canelo is now a complete fighter. Defense and offense is elite

#3 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Canelo had some controversy on some of his wins but you can't argue with his resume. At all. He has improved greatly and yes he is elite.

#4 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

I think at this point, yes. He beat Golovkin convincingly the 2nd time, beat Jacobs. He's only been dominated by one person and that person pretty much does that to everyone. His resume is not only solid but he has a crisp skillset. Some guys have nice resumes that have been full of KOs but when they run into the one guy who wont go down, they get exposed. Canelo can go the distance or knock you out. Even though he's done some real suspect shit in his career (ex "tainted meat), his stature in the sport at this point is undeniable.

#5 AZWildCat

AZWildCat

Super Middleweight

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

At this point.....as much as I hate to admit it. He's in the elite of elite group of this era, possible atg of he keeps breaking expectations and taking on bigger names with weight

#6 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

Canelo is elite. Besides some controversial decisions, which everyone has, he has beaten everyone put in front of him, except Mayweather. With Kovalev fighting Yarde, and it doesn't look like a Charlo or Andrade fight will happen, Canelo should go up to face Callum Smith at 168 lbs. That'd be a great fight. 

Canelo has earned the right to be considered elite. If he's not elite, I don't know who is. There are only a handful, maybe two, of truly elite guys active right now and Canelo is top 2 for me (Bud Crawford).

• Cshel86 likes this

#7 sduck

sduck

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

Dunno why people keep asking this question, he obviously is. Most people can't beat him.

#8 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,486 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

Dunno why people keep asking this question, he obviously is. Most people can't beat him.

:lol:

You should've been around about 5 years ago when people saw the inevitable and were hoping Canelo wouldn't reach elite status. Lol

#9 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,486 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

Canelo is elite. Besides some controversial decisions, which everyone has, he has beaten everyone put in front of him, except Mayweather. With Kovalev fighting Yarde, and it doesn't look like a Charlo or Andrade fight will happen, Canelo should go up to face Callum Smith at 168 lbs. That'd be a great fight. 

Canelo has earned the right to be considered elite. If he's not elite, I don't know who is. There are only a handful, maybe two, of truly elite guys active right now and Canelo is top 2 for me (Bud Crawford).

And there are whispers of him possibly facing Derevyanchenko in September, but who knows? 

Wait......Bud's....elite!? Already???

No argument from me (yet)....I just wanna know why or how, just in case I may be overlooking something. 

• KSUN247 likes this

#10 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

Bud cleaned out 135, undisputed at 140 and got one of the 147 belts. Won all in undeniable fashion.

He can only fight who is in front of him. Politics aside, he's one of the top dogs at 147 lbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users