Photo

Comments on the Tragic Death of Max Dadashev. Where Does Blame Fall? (Topics Merged)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MAHDI

MAHDI

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

https://www.bbc.co.u...boxing/49091133

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

Boxing can be a dangerous and brual sport. Sad that he passed away. When we see what happened while he was leaving the ring, kinda knew the outcome would be bad. Was hoping he would pull through. Prayers to family. 

• MAHDI likes this

#3 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

McGrit should of stopped it in the 8th or 9th. He said his fighter wanted to go on. You're supposed to protect your fighter. Just like he called the Gatti fight off cause Gatti was getting the shit beat out of him.
  • MAHDI likes this

#4 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Here are my thoughts:

I am not watching Saturday's card from Maryland.The same commission that likely allowed Max's death by having him walk out unassisted, instead of being immobilized completely. I recommend a three month postponement of Saturday's card and that it should be moved to a more competent and responsible jurisdiction. (I took it off my DVR recording schedule.) I want to take a break from boxing for awhile out of respect to Max and his family and friends. Maryland should not have ANY boxing until their commission gets their head out of their ass! There WILL be an investigation and lawsuits for sure!

Jack

PS. Please read this emotionally powerful article, by my great friend and noted boxing writer Matt Aguilar. (One reference note, the WBC actually started the 12 round World Championship bouts in January of 1983.)  This is the only correction that I need to make to the linked story.  However, the article is one of the best I have ever read by ANY writer, so I did not call him on this small error.)  Everything else Matt says here is spot on correct:

https://www.elpasoti...ias/1810320001/

Jack

#5 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

Great article! Put my original post in the Sweet Pea thread. Mods can someone merge, please? Thanks.

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe trainers and refs gotta make hard decisions a bit earlier. It's a real tough call, especially when a guy is fighting back.

Both usually tell the guy that they need to show them something or they will stop the fight. When this happens, the guys fights back a little and show that they are still competing.

We may not always see the immediate effects of CTE or worse case (death), but the damage is being done. Truly a tough decision to be made.

Respect to all the folks who get in the ring for our entertainment.

#6 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

Great article! Put my original post in the Sweet Pea thread. Mods can someone merge, please? Thanks.

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe trainers and refs gotta make hard decisions a bit earlier. It's a real tough call, especially when a guy is fighting back.

Both usually tell the guy that they need to show them something or they will stop the fight. When this happens, the guys fights back a little and show that they are still competing.

We may not always see the immediate effects of CTE or worse case (death), but the damage is being done. Truly a tough decision to be made.

Respect to all the folks who get in the ring for our entertainment.

Here is your story URL that you posted about Max.  I will just delete the other post, as it is harder to merge individual posts than whole topics:

https://www.espn.com...-fight-injuries

Jack

• KSUN247 likes this

#7 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:52 AM

Maryland should not have ANY boxing until their commission gets their head out of their ass! There WILL be an investigation and lawsuits for sure!

Totally agree!

McGirt needs to hang em up as well. As I've mentioned a time or two, blood and guts TRAINERS need to be pushed out of the sport (if possible). I don't know how McGirt can even move on training guys after what happened to Dadashev. For fuck;s sake, McGirt, this kid is NOT the late Arturo Gatti. Smh

And yes, that commission is trash and everybody that witnessed the fight should be ashamed of themselves. Everybody has a job to do, even if it upsets the fighter when it's all said and done. 

That kid should NOT have been able to walk on his own and frankly, the emergency staff was incompetent. When I say I was YELLING at the television, "STOP THE FIGHT!"...and this was in the 11th round. It could've honestly been stopped a round or two before that. 

Dadashev should've been saved from himself, but what can we do now? In some cases, I blame the network for pushing this "blood and guts" style, though Tim and Andre are seemingly balancing things out on ESPN. 

Casuals don't wanna hear, "It's not cool to take punishment", but are quick to send condolences and prayers when a fighter's severely injured. Much respect to the team there, but ESPN needs to do a better job of NOT pushing that narrative (blood and guts, for the viewers' entertainment) because it puts pressure on these up and coming fighters to fight stupid and "not quit" when things are getting bad in there. 

Thing is, if a trainer and ringside officials are in the same mind set as casuals, then whose protecting the fighter??? Yes, I said "protecting the fighter". People rant and rave about their favorite quarterback not having enough protection, but feels a boxer doesn't need as much!? Really?

Who in THE fuck are we gonna be able to watch if everybody's brain dead or gravely injured??? Our sport HAS TO do better, I swear.  

#8 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

Hugo Sullium just died from injuries. He 23 years old. He collapsed during the announcement of the decision. Fuck man. Maybe it should be 10 rounds, I don't know man. Shit

#9 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

I saw that this morning. Not sure how can we stop this. Didn't see any highlights of the fight. Don't think going to 10 rounds will totally stop it. It will reduce some of the amount of punishment that folks take.

Think the corner men, refs and doctors are gonna have to play a significant role going forward. Another life lost too soon.

R.I.P Hugo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users