https://docs.google....YtksZDdrAQ/edit

Jack

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:24 PM

Nice proposals!  I agree with all of them.  Not sure what the Ring Doctors' current qualifications are, but I would make sure they are certified neurologists specializing in TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) care and not just a regular physician. With so many boxing events going on around the world and sometimes at the same time, the MD's cost will get pricey; but the cost is worth it, especially, if it saves a life.

I would add better training of the referees. There are many times when the ref says you gotta show me something and not much is shown and the ref doesn't stop the fight right away. I understand trying to give the fighter the benefit of the doubt, but his/her long term health is at stake. If you are thinking about stopping it, stop it. That one extra punch can be the difference.

Also, let's get some younger referees. Some of these guys are past their prime or just bad (Robert Byrd, Jay Nady and Laurence Cole are just a few off the top of my head).

Fighers and fans will be mad, but like McGirt said, "I'd rather you be mad at me for a few days, than a lifetime for not stopping the fight sooner."

The only major issue, I  can see with the early stoppages is the gambling aspect. That's a whole 'nother can of worms, cause $$$ drives the sport. 

Edited by KSUN247, 27 July 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#3 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

If a fighter tells you they want to fight...what can you do?

#4 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

If a fighter tells you they want to fight...what can you do?

The body language of a boxer and facial damage is often more important than verbal communication.  It all depends on the amount of punishment that a boxer has sustained before deciding what to do, it varies.  If a fighter cannot communicate through his body language or severe facial cuts that he cannot continue following a knockdown, you need to stop the fight.  If there is no verbal response but the fighter holds his gloves out and is steady, most let the fight go on.  Ref Ron Lipton said, "If you are in trouble and you do not want me to stop this fight, you must show me that you can and want to continue."  That became his pre-fight instructions.  You must PROVE following a knockdown or the end of harsh round that you can and want to continue. The assessment of the body, the facial features, the magnitude of the fight, and the verbal response are all factored in, but the physical response and the amount of punishment sustained during the fight, in referee and doctor research, seems to play a higher role on whether or not to stop the fight over the verbal command.

A fighter like Gatti or Lamata would say "yes" until he was dead.  Some fighters have that war mindset, And if they do, you have to look at the mitigating physical conditions of the boxer after each round. Jack Reese, considered to be one of the greatest refs in the boxing world says he makes it a point to visit each corner after every round to ask the fighter and his team how they are doing and explain what he has done or plans to do in the fight  Communication is vital. Not just the verbal responses but the visual clues that trained refs, doctors, and EMT's look for in boxing IF they are qualified.

Jack

#5 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

The body language of a boxer and facial damage is often more important than verbal communication.  It all depends on the amount of punishment that a boxer has sustained before deciding what to do, it varies.  If a fighter cannot communicate through his body language or severe facial cuts that he cannot continue following a knockdown, you need to stop the fight.  If there is no verbal response but the fighter holds his gloves out and is steady, most let the fight go on.  Ref Ron Lipton said, "If you are in trouble and you do not want me to stop this fight, you must show me that you can and want to continue."  That became his pre-fight instructions.  You must PROVE following a knockdown or the end of harsh round that you can and want to continue. The assessment of the body, the facial features, the magnitude of the fight, and the verbal response are all factored in, but the physical response and the amount of punishment sustained during the fight, in referee and doctor research, seems to play a higher role on whether or not to stop the fight over the verbal command.

A fighter like Gatti or Lamata would say "yes" until he was dead.  Some fighters have that war mindset, And if they do, you have to look at the mitigating physical conditions of the boxer after each round. Jack Reese, considered to be one of the greatest refs in the boxing world says he makes it a point to visit each corner after every round to ask the fighter and his team how they are doing and explain what he has done or plans to do in the fight  Communication is vital. Not just the verbal responses but the visual clues that trained refs, doctors, and EMT's look for in boxing IF they are qualified.

Jack

As fans, we shit on boxes who quit. When I played football, getting a concussion was nothing. Coach saw you walking he would say get ya ass out there. Stop being a bitch. As a trainer you want to push your fighter and you don't want them to have a quitters mentality. Which is why we hate Victor Ortiz cause he quits. The question is how do you change a warrior mentality and how do we get fans to be forgiving if a fighter wants to quit?

#6 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

All medical staff need to watch more boxing...not just when they're at work. Period. As mentioned, body language says A LOT, regardless of what country you're from or whatever language barriers are present.

As a longtime fan, I found myself screaming at the Tv to , "stop the fight!" in the 10th round, but Dadshev was allowed to start the 11th round. It's not rocket science, but that incompetent medical staff showed us just why our sport gets clowned for not being "with the times". 

ANY medical professional could've seen this fight going down the shitter. I still don't get why McGirt's sorry ass still gets praise for "stopping it" when he in fact let it go on too long. 

From what I read earlier today, Jose Luis Castillo's son is in the hospital stemming from a brain injury in sparring. Boxing is starting to look more and more shameful as things like this continue to happen. Smh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users