• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Watched the video on the Front Page with Tim Bradley stating that Errol Spence Jr is ducking Terrence Crawford. Timmy seemed really pissed off. He used the same statement that Bud used about there being no other side of the street/fence. The Best is supposed to fight the Best!  

If I remember correctly, Bradley didn't cross the street to get in on the Mayweather Sweepstakes or fight any of the other PBC/Haymon guys. So who is he to call out fighters when he didn't do it? 

He also re-upped with Top Rank and got a few matches with Manny Pacquiao when he could have become a FREE AGENT (like De La Hoya, Mayweather, Cotto, and eventually Pacquiao) and control his own career. Bud is following in Bradley's footsteps. Complaining about not getting a Spence fight, yet he re-upped with Top Rank when he knew the competition at 147 lbs was slim pickings on that side of the street. 

I could be misremembering, but wasn't Amir Khan a Haymon guy and Bradley never fought him at 140 lbs? Bradley is so full of it, especially on the broadcasts or when someone puts a camera and microphone in his face. Now that he's a talking head/boxing commentator, he thinks different. He's a Top Rank/ESPN shill. 

I will say that leaving the WBO Champ (Crawford) off the telecast display was kinda petty when listing the top 147 lbs fighters. Was it done on purpose? Probably! 

As a boxing fan, I want to see the Spence/Crawford fight and I believe that the fight will happen, but the casual public is gonna have to demand it. Not the die-hards. Spence has too many immediate and maybe better paying options on the PBC side of the street (Porter, Pacquiao, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Ugas, etc.). He already said that they'll fight, so waiting until 2020, I'm cool with. Anytime after that and I'll be a little disappointed. 

What Crawford needs to do is win his next fight in dramatic fashion on ESPN+/PPV and in the post-fight interview "CALL OUT SPENCE", if he wants more folks interested in that fight. Stop being so quiet about it. A closed mouth will never get fed.

Funny, how folks get after thier active career is over. These athletes get TV gigs and switch mentalities to support their network's views. I know you gotta keep in line with the company's vision, but you can still keep it 100 and not be a sellout. I see it a lot with the NFL or NBA players when they get those ESPN/NFL Network or NBA TV jobs. Oh, the hypocrisy of some athletes.  I am a Tim Bradley fan, but at times, I wish he would just STFU!

#2 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Watched the video on the Front Page with Tim Bradley stating that Errol Spence Jr is ducking Terrence Crawford. Timmy seemed really pissed off. He used the same statement that Bud used about there being no other side of the street/fence. The Best is supposed to fight the Best!  

If I remember correctly, Bradley didn't cross the street to get in on the Mayweather Sweepstakes or fight any of the other PBC/Haymon guys. So who is he to call out fighters when he didn't do it? 

Agreed....somewhat. I had to break your post to cover all of your points, which are all great by the way. Lol

I can say this, there's a difference between hypocrisy and frustration. At this point, I believe Tim is frustrated with being asked about it and most of the public is at that point. 

We ALL know what's good when it comes to Bob and Al, and at the very least, one of them will sacrifice their "not so popular" fighter and do business (e.g. Lara/Martirosyan 1, GRJ/Lomachenko).  

He also re-upped with Top Rank and got a few matches with Manny Pacquiao when he could have become a FREE AGENT (like De La Hoya, Mayweather, Cotto, and eventually Pacquiao) and control his own career. Bud is following in Bradley's footsteps. Complaining about not getting a Spence fight, yet he re-upped with Top Rank when he knew the competition at 147 lbs was slim pickings on that side of the street.

True, and he landed what....two more fights with Manny? I can't argue with that at all....at least he got one of the two stars before he called it a day. Honestly, not many people cared what Tim did with his career (post Manny 1 and Provodnikov), so he made the best move in my opinion. 

I'm also in the majority in feeling Bud should've signed with somebody else after his first contract came to an end with TR, but we ALL have to remember how Bob works. If you have a 3 year deal with him, he'll wait til month 33 or 35, then "promise" you a big fight IF you renew your contract. If you choose not to, he'll threaten to put you on the shelf. He's done it to Donaire, Julio, Mikey, etc, and I'm sure Bud was no exception. For all we know, this could've possibly happened to Bud. 

I could be misremembering, but wasn't Amir Khan a Haymon guy and Bradley never fought him at 140 lbs? Bradley is so full of it, especially on the broadcasts or when someone puts a camera and microphone in his face. Now that he's a talking head/boxing commentator, he thinks different. He's a Top Rank/ESPN shill.

I believe this was back in 2010-2011, so I'm not sure Khan was working with Haymon at that time. Tim was still with Gary Shaw, but ended up in litigation because TR had bigger better fights for him. The fight could've happened, but Tim chose TR and got 3 Pac fights out of it, while Khan chased, begged, and waited on Floyd...to no avail. 

To your point about Tim saying any and everything when the camera's in his face....I won't lie, it's cool to me! He may be a bit biased here and there, but he's great for the network! If he and Ward weren't commentating, I wouldn't be so fond of the ESPN telecasts. Hell, you see the horrible commentary we have to deal with on Fox. Lol

• KSUN247 likes this

#3 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

I will say that leaving the WBO Champ (Crawford) off the telecast display was kinda petty when listing the top 147 lbs fighters. Was it done on purpose? Probably!

Very!

:lol:

As a boxing fan, I want to see the Spence/Crawford fight and I believe that the fight will happen, but the casual public is gonna have to demand it. Not the die-hards. Spence has too many immediate and maybe better paying options on the PBC side of the street (Porter, Pacquiao, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Ugas, etc.). He already said that they'll fight, so waiting until 2020, I'm cool with. Anytime after that and I'll be a little disappointed.

I believe it'll happen, too. I hate casuals, but their buys and views make just as much a difference as hardcores. The problem is, hardcores aren't educating casuals and they bash the sport on social media, leaving the casuals to follow and bash the sport as well....or worse....turn them off from the sport. Smh

Spence does have better options with PBC, maybe that's why he doesn't care much about speaking on it anymore. What I will give Bob credit for is matching Crawford in the manner he does. They may not be "oh, wow!" type matches, but Crawford ALWAYS shows up and ESPN is a HUGE media outlet whom promotes Crawford and other ESPN bouts like crazy! Crawford's numbers may not be that great, but PBC numbers (speaking of PPV) aren't necessarily bringing the house down either. 

What Crawford needs to do is win his next fight in dramatic fashion on ESPN+/PPV and in the post-fight interview "CALL OUT SPENCE", if he wants more folks interested in that fight. Stop being so quiet about it. A closed mouth will never get fed.

I mean, at this point, what more can Bud do? Threaten to sit out? If you think we aren't getting the fight now, let's see what happens if he threatens to leave or sit out. Lol

Funny, how folks get after thier active career is over. These athletes get TV gigs and switch mentalities to support their network's views. I know you gotta keep in line with the company's vision, but you can still keep it 100 and not be a sellout. I see it a lot with the NFL or NBA players when they get those ESPN/NFL Network or NBA TV jobs. Oh, the hypocrisy of some athletes.  I am a Tim Bradley fan, but at times, I wish he would just STFU! 

True and somewhat true...depending on how you look at it. When these guys are active fighters, they have a different mentality and tend to do and say things that's gonna benefit their careers (the present and long-term). 

I couldn't rock with Tim during the first 2 or 3 ESPN telecasts that he worked, but he settled into the job and it's kept me as a viewer. I may not agree with everything he says, but hey, at least he's still young and we get to see him and Dre grow as analysts! I can say the same about Paulie!

Hopefully these guys will be around to talk boxing for as long as we've seen the likes of Berstein, Ranallo, Lampley, etc. Imagine us watching boxing 10-15 years from now and Kellerman, Ward, Bradley, Paulie, etc are the old (and experienced) guys on the telecast as older fights got a chance to see Lampley grow over the years! It's an amazing thing! I believe when Tim started throwing money on the telecast that one time, it did it for me! I was thinking, "Damn, this dude is comfortable as hell and may be here to stay". Lol

• KSUN247 likes this

#4 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

I got on my soapbox and was just rambling. Thoughts were all over the place. LOL!  :)

So many of the fan's frustrations would be soothed, if the boxing powers that be attempted to make the fights we want to see. We'll get a few bones thrown our way, but always too much drama in getting the big fights. 

Still don't think Bradley can legit say Spence is ducking anyone. I do like him at times on the broadcasts, but he goes overboard at times on certain things. Ward is much more calmer and polished as a commentator.

FOX commentating crew is horrible. PBC needs a reboot. Lewis, Goosen, etc are knowledgeable, but they can't convey their thoughts in a entertaining way. It's cringeworthy to listen to. 

I will say this about the Spence/Crawford fight. I still don't think both are household names. They are known in the boxing community and their local communities, but I don't think many casuals really know who they are. Mayweather and Pacquiao are still the main names and these dudes are/should be retired. 

Promoters gotta build stars and the boxers gotta put in that work too. And not just in the gym honing thier boxing skills. 

#5 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,092 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:13 AM

On point. Just chiming in to say I agree with everything you said. Let me add that Bradley is very good friends with Crawford as well. They sparred together years ago. Bradley could have stuck around and fought him, if its that serious. He chose to retire.

#6 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

Crawford like Manny years before him should of never re signed with Arum. Who does top rank have at this point? Golden Boy is in the same boat. Their man fighter is pissed and that's never a good thing.

You know what is baffling people keep saying what a dick Al is but guess who has jad the best fights this year? J Rock and Hurd was by far my favorite fight of this year.

#7 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

You know what is baffling people keep saying what a dick Al is but guess who has jad the best fights this year? J Rock and Hurd was by far my favorite fight of this year.

That was a great fight! I also like Ruiz dethroning AJ and Ramirez KO'ing Hooker!

#8 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

Tim is a Top Rank stooge. Never liked that guy. Gets on his high horse now that he's a commentator (a terrible one at that) but I didn't forget he was a punching bag who abandoned all technique even when he was winning. He won fights off of will and not skill. Crawford has already tweeted in the past that Spence isn't ducking him. This ducking word is going around far too much. It's like racist and rape allegations. You do a disservice to people who are REALLY victims when you overplay things that are coincidence. Bottom line is, Crawford will UNDOUBTEDLY have the weaker resume of the major Welterweights going forward as long as he's with Top Rank. Tim, Bob and whoever else can act like it's someone else's fault all they want but facts and history don't lie. When he was toward the end of his deal, he got put on the shelf until he agreed to fight who Bob wanted him to fight and it was almost never someone outside of TR. Same with Manny and now same with Crawford. Only person ducking Bud is Arum. 

• Cshel86 likes this

#9 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Tim is a Top Rank stooge. Never liked that guy. Gets on his high horse now that he's a commentator (a terrible one at that) but I didn't forget he was a punching bag who abandoned all technique even when he was winning. He won fights off of will and not skill. Crawford has already tweeted in the past that Spence isn't ducking him. This ducking word is going around far too much. It's like racist and rape allegations. You do a disservice to people who are REALLY victims when you overplay things that are coincidence. Bottom line is, Crawford will UNDOUBTEDLY have the weaker resume of the major Welterweights going forward as long as he's with Top Rank. Tim, Bob and whoever else can act like it's someone else's fault all they want but facts and history don't lie. When he was toward the end of his deal, he got put on the shelf until he agreed to fight who Bob wanted him to fight and it was almost never someone outside of TR. Same with Manny and now same with Crawford. Only person ducking Bud is Arum.

Fuckin Me Too movement killed all common sense. Everyone automatically believes the accuser with 0 evidence or questioning.

#10 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

Fuckin Me Too movement killed all common sense. Everyone automatically believes the accuser with 0 evidence or questioning.

This nonsense precedes the me too movement unfortunately. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users